1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Brake Force Simulation

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by wingert, Nov 6, 2021.

1. wingert

wingert Active Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    I want to show an alternative method to simulate braking, pushing wheels and pedals against the driver.The concept is to produce a force to the driver instead a motion such as surge, to eliminate the swing effect.

brake_force.jpg Brake_force1.jpg Brake_force2.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. wingert

wingert Active Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    video showing some impacts
    • Like Like x 2
  3. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    Poor car in the front :D.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. vodkaghx

vodkaghx New Member

Balance:
    - 15Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SCN5
    Interesting idea, and Quite complicated design, seems like a transformer. I wonder what is the purpose of the yellow beam moving underneath the simulator in the first video?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wingert

wingert Active Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GWiz

GWiz Active Member

Dentist
    Balance:
    1,460Coins
    Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I also use a similar system but instead of moving the pedals and steering wheel, I move the seat itself on its sliders using a 120kg/cm DC servo. It gives a great surge effect especially when combined with more traditional motion. (I have it on a hexapod).

Some people are rightly concerned that changing the distance between the seat and wheel/pedals can be detrimental to both muscle memory and realism but the trick is to apply a large enough force to feel like you are being pushed towards the wheel or pulled back from it over a very small travel, but also not so strong that you can't resist the force when braking. This way, it gives the sensation of G-Force without actually changing the distance. As with all motion effects, subtlety is the key - it feels more impressive than it appears.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. wingert

wingert Active Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    my concept is not to sit on the moving slider, I have it before, as possible feeling only a force, because if you map a acceleration value (longitudinal acc.) to a position value you have dimension mismatch feeling a kind of swinging.
    E.g. under braking to find a brake point, you increase and decrease the brake force, so in real the deceleration vector varies only in amplitude not in direction, if you do the same after transforming to a position you get a forward backward movement. (swinging)
    A short reduce of driver position to pedals and wheel correlates to real behavior under braking.
    E.g if a driver has no seat belt and hits a wall (enormous deceleration) his head even crashes against wheel or windscreen.
  8. cfischer

cfischer Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    2,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +241 / 1 / -0
    Nice work! I've often wondered what it would feel like to have the pedals and wheel move towards you for surge. I can see how moving the arms and legs as opposed to the whole body would be a better effect. Thanks for commenting on that as well.
  9. wingert

wingert Active Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    just appendix sliding wheel mount with springs to get some sustained force in hands.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jumping Coin

Jumping Coin Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    470Coins
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Love the design! I've implemented somewhat of a slider mechanism myself. I actually slide the chair and pedals backward on acceleration and forward for braking while the wheel remains stationary. Sliding backwards seems a bit counter intuitive, but it works for me since it feels like the steering wheel gets lighter when I accelerate and heavier when I brake. Also, since I have a gseat, sliding backwards means I get better contact with the seat.

In any case, all the cools things in this thread will definitely provide some useful inspiration. Great work!
  11. ericRacer

ericRacer You get old because you stop playing ! Gold Contributor

Pilot
    Balance:
    989Coins
    Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    how do you activate the air bladder ?
  12. wingert

wingert Active Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    what do you mean with air bladder, air g-force ?
  13. ericRacer

ericRacer You get old because you stop playing ! Gold Contributor

Pilot
    Balance:
    989Coins
    Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Yes (air g-force) , and how much do you like it ? Do you feel these a bit laggy ?

edit: I just saw your other tread about air g-seat, very inspiring...
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  14. wingert

wingert Active Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    A conventional motion system is a principle position system. What you feel ist the variation of position or it's derivited acceleration.The constraints is the restricted travel, except the z-axis for cars, getting only cues sometimes false e.g. by missing the dynamical state of the driver. Air g-force system creates more sustained force e.g forces along the curve. The limitation is that forces are punctual and not an all boby elements.
    Delay or laggy can be elimited or minimised using big tubes, in my case two self vented (like a 2 stroke engine) 160mm diameter pipes.(approx. 400 ml per cm travel)
  15. early_m

early_m Active Member

Balance:
    824Coins
    Ratings:
    +342 / 4 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I tried this concept a while back in my g-seat build https://www.xsimulator.net/communit...rom-concept-to-final.11669/page-1#post-157387

In my tests it didn't feel right. The drivers arms simply absorb the movement and I didn't achieve the braking feeling I was looking for
  16. wingert

wingert Active Member

Balance:
    642Coins
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    4DOF
    Be aware you can never simulate in a static condition the dynamical behavior of the real driver, e.g. has a forward movement simultaneously relieve his back under braking. The best result to get is a only a correlation.