1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

BlueTiger Platform $700 eBay Find

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by cutmebr0, Feb 19, 2019.

1. cutmebr0

cutmebr0 This is it.

IT
    Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform, 6DOF
    Backstory:
    I've been searching for a motion simulator platform, home built or factory, for the last 6 months or so.
    I've also been trying to figure out if it would be more cost effective to buy or build my own.
    So I took into consideration price of parts, time spent researching, time spent learning, and time spent building.
    When looking over building vs buying, flat out purchasing a prebuilt one would save me money.
    What do they call that? Opportunity cost.

I was looking at DoFReality and Next Level Racing. But then I find a BlueTiger platform on eBay.
    Listed for $3k. Not a bad price for a 6 DoF platform, the cheapest one I've found.
    I wanted to figure out why it was so cheap and this is what I found.
    This guy bought it an auction(keep reading), listed it for $16k(didn't sell), $12k(didn't sell), $6k(didn't sell), then $3k. It was on the market for 4 months.
    The auction was hosted by the University of Michigan, where he purchased it for $300.
    The University acquired it from a company called NavalArc(If I heard them right). I got into touch with them who said it was handed to them via the US Gov after they retired it from a project managed by some guy named Bob Beck, who stated that the gov didn't want to use funds shipping it to another location.
    I offered him $700 for it, he accepted since no one even contacted him about it since he's had it listed.
    Paid $250 for freight shipping, and now it's mine.

Other things I bought since this has been:
    • Used Vive for $300
    • Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Throttle Quadrant and Switchboard.
    • Logitech g25 Wheels, shifter and pedals.
    • Saitek x52 Pro
    • MR2 seat with sliding base
    • Misc unistrut parts to fab mounts and slides.

WIP:
    02/19/2019
    BT should be here around 11AM CST. I'll start posting pictures after 5PM CST.
    • Winner Winner x 1