1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Beginning of my new simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by mohawk24, Jan 8, 2009.

1. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all

Im looking for some basic direction in regards to my project.

I will be building a 2DOF platform simulator with as much movement as i can get...

the cockpit and driver should weigh approx.6-700 lbs

I will be using Tronic's controllers for the motors

Questions:

1. what DC motors should i get to move this platform?? (can wipers move that much weight??)

2. This is for Tronic can you list for me the latest greatest designs for your electronics and maybe a parts list of stuff needed..

3.Will i be able to play rfactor games specifically the legends mod with x-sim and tronics designs??
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

If I did the conversion right, your cockpits payload weights around 300kg???? Thats seems too large to be able to move around with just wiper motors!!

Currently my DSMhb, cannot handle very large currents without some modification and good cooling. You might want to wait the new h-bridge that is on plans and can handle up to 100A continuous current 24V motors. Then you will be able to use as large motor as you want that meets the specs of you motion cockpit.

BTW what is you motion simulator looks like? Is it something close to the joyrider style?

You can use x-sim sofware with rFactor. It works!

Regards, Thanos
  3. wannabeaflyer

wannabeaflyer Active Member

Balance:
    970Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi Thanos i think you just opened up a can of worms LOL:) is there a nes version of your H bridge coming out because i was just about to Buy 3 MDO3 Motor Controllers For MY Plane Motion Platform and would rather spend the money on your new design if it will be out soon you 1st one works a treat and hopefully post a video this weekend to show my version of your rumble z axis test :clap:
  4. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys thanks for responding i will be taking a legends car frame and body

minus motor, rearend, misc. uneeded parts and mounting this to a driveshaft center pivot

I will be adding a 24 Monitor and speakers to the unit...

I will try to find out exactly how much the chassis without all that weighs...
  5. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how can i attach pictures to my posts???

edit:: nevermind i see it...

Attached Files:

6. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    New Pics

Attached Files:

7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    *thread moved*

Wow, that's pretty cool. I really hope you wont shipwreck due to undersized actuators. I really would like to see this beast moving well.

hint: Elektronikjack uses a DC h-bridge which he has gathered out of a forklift from junkyard. Maybe you are able to dig out something similar.

How much are you going to spend on motors and gearboxes btw?

Have fun!
    Christian
  8. Andi

Andi Member

Balance:
    - 10Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi mohawk24

http://www.x-simulator.de/forum/zweiplaetzer-flugsimulator-t811-40.html

I started a quiet similar project half a year ago. I also tried it with wiper motors but theses motors haven't enough
    power for a platform. Even with only the platform the H-bridge was very hot after a short time. Please don't spend your
    time in that solution of the problem. After my first effort with the wiper motors i changed to 1.1kW AC servo motors.
    There are not cheap and not easy to get even if you need controllers for it. But if you get some for example by ebay
    you have enough power to blow up your whole platform ;D Another advantage of my controller is that they have an
    analog input, so you can use the 0-5V output of the X-sim software. There's still a little software bug but I think sirnoname
    will fix it :)

Hope I can convince you not to make the same mistake as me and directly to start with high power motors ;-)

Greetings Andi
  9. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Plan is to use the biggest dc motors i can find that R-eng/Tronic's new motor controller can handle..

trying to keep cost to as little as possible however i have to have motion so my threshold might rise.... :brows: :brows:

On another note does anyone have any suggestions as to how i might be able to test how much force is needed to tilt my platform??
  10. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,541Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    use a libra/balance
    and fit a piece of wood between libra and simulator.
    regards ad
  11. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    does anyone have any specs for the following???

I searched everywhere and have not been able to find anything to help me...

Model NS33N-152B-18-MF1-FT1-B3S
    Model: NX152B-18-MF1-MT1-B3S-361P

they were originally made by IDC however that company has went out of business..
  12. ElektronikJack

ElektronikJack Member

Techniker Elektronik
    Balance:
    - 40Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hi mohawk24

very impressive project !!!

i have some of this big 3 phases 24Volt H-Bridges left ( i think you can use it for 50Amps (up to 100Amps ?!?), Peak current of the Switchers is 440 Amps).
    if you whant to use it with the tronic controller you have to talk with tronic about a litte
    change in the software.

But you have to think about a AC-Gearbox motor with a motor-driver.
    If you finish the complete car the mass, that have to moved by the motors, will grown.
    You can move the light seat-sim only by one hand and the are normaly balanced in the center of gravity.

bye dirk
  13. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Beginning of my new simulator-UPDATES

Here are some updated pics of my simulator

Attached Files:

14. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Your DELL LCD fits on the inch exactly to the left and right, no more space for a piece of paper :)

Where did you find this motors? 1.5 HP / 1120 W is enormous!

I assume you want to control them with modified Tronics AMC interface and a frequency converter?
  15. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I suppose he will use the SJ200-015-NFU VFD drives for that huge motors. We were talking about possible issues in interfacing it yesterday...
  16. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The motors come from a store here in canada called princess auto....

they are fairly cheap $ 180 canadian dollars so $1.50 anywhere else LOL....

I will definitely be using Tronicgr's AMC 1.5 with the tweak to control VFD and AC motors...

my platform is pretty big and heavy...

I originally planned to only use a 19 monitor but i managed to shoehorn in a 24 LOL :cheers:
  17. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Your project is gettting more and more interesting, would be great to see a first AC motion simulator with AMC and VFD here. I keep on watching your thread :)
  18. ElektronikJack

ElektronikJack Member

Techniker Elektronik
    Balance:
    - 40Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    i have some (3PH) DC Motor (up to 24V) Bridges left!

3ph-DC-bridge.JPG

try to build the car in the center of gravity to reduce the needed force for the movement and make the system fast !

bye elektronikjack
  19. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice electronicjack....

I have built the platform so that all weight is balanced over pivot point...

Steering wheel and pedals are adjustable to keep the driver positioned correctly...

DC motors while strong enough....unfortunately I feel that only AC motors and drives will be sufficient to move my platform at the speed that I desire..... :eek: :brows:

Tronic and R-eng are currently working on a high power bridge however I don't think that even 150 amps would help me...thus the decision to go AC...

with the tweak that Tronic has made to the AMC to allow AC control I will be OK....

I will have 3ph motors by this week still trying to find all parts for AMC or find someone willing to sell me one premade....
  20. mohawk24

mohawk24 New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Motor take two.....

I had noticed a fatal flaw in my original plan of action I had acquired 2 motors both were 1phase, my platform requires 3phase to operate with VFD's

I have fixed that by purchasing 2 3phase motors from ebay....

marathon 1.5 hp motors made specifically for inverter drives...with heavy duty insulation for heat protection....

I'm looking for someone on this forum to sell me an AMC1.5 fully assembled and tested....

question the motors have a shaft on either end...can i use either end ?????

Attached Files: