1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Beginning My Drift Build ( LOTS OF PICS )

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by supraman, Sep 17, 2015.

1. supraman

supraman Member

Balance:
    605Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys just thought id share my drift build that I started about a two years ago, it all started when I helped my buddy Tanner build a 91 Nissan Skyline GTS-T to compete in pro-am drifting. After building his motor and making close to 400whp on a stock bottom end on a RB20DET me and him decided to find me a shell so I could start competing along side him. We looked for months trying to find a decent shell for a good price until finally one popped up locally. It had all the normal wear and tear for being a 89 rust and all, but body work doesnt scare me.

So lets start here, these are pics the day I bought it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you could see I had some work cut out for me, the car was missing LOTS! It was also covered in sap because only days before I bought it she was parked under a big tree and had sat there for more then 6 years. Work started right away and I quickly began buying all the parts to get it looking good again, Yes my first priority was getting the body looking like a car again, mainly because thats mandatory for the series we run.

[​IMG]

I began by starting with the front end of the car, installing lights, crash bar, and hood latch assembly.

[​IMG]

Winter had come early that year so I not so quickly fitted the new hood as to not damage what was left of the original motor...

[​IMG]

While bored one chilly day I decided it was time to get some tail lights on the car, so this happened.

[​IMG]

I then had to purchase new door handles, locks, rear trunk latch, and the rest of the pieces to my tail light assembly. now the car would actually have a full set of locks and keys :) .

[​IMG]

Finally after the snow had all melted I was able to get back to working on the car, and man was there a lot of work to be done! I started off the summer by installing all the parts seen above.

[​IMG]

After a while of hating how the black was trim looked on the car I got bored one night and fixed it using nothing but a variety of sand paper, some spray paint, soapy water, and my oven ;) .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final results looked awesome IMO and it is very durable as well. Oh and in the back ground you can see some of my other projects like my drag car ( gold Eagle Talon ).

[​IMG]

next came time to finally fit the front bumper on and getting it looking like a proper car. This also meant that the fenders had to be properly secured as they both had only one or two bolts holding them " in place " .

[​IMG]

After that was finished I finally mounted the hood in its permanent location and at this point my project was finally starting to look like my own.

[​IMG]

Now it had been almost a year that I had owned this car at this point and yea I didnt make a lot of progress fast but our economy had taken a real beating and so were my pay checks, with almost any spare cash I had being dumped into the 240 I was living the good life of mac and cheese on a daily basis haha, but that didnt stop me from getting the old girl some new shoes ;) .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So with lots of body work put into the car making it look good I stated putting some money towards a few handling mods, Like this Rare Nismo strut bar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After many hours of trying to figure out why the car would never want to start I decided to pull the oil pan... I discovered that the crank shaft had actually split into two pieces and welded itself to the block due to high heat or oil starvation as there was no oil in the pan when I dropped it. So I began looking for a motor, and it wasnt long before I acquired another KA24E single cam that had come out of my buddies S13 when he decided to swap in a RB2oDET Skyline motor. Lucky for me this motor came with a bunch of goodies like a nice header, NGK wires, a reground camshaft, and a Injen Intake system All for 500$ with another 5spd trans, WOOT SPARE!

[​IMG]

next began the process of installing the new motor, this also meant getting rid of a ton of un needed Items in the engine bay... Can you say Weight Reduction? Good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After getting the car running I had decided to take her for a spin... That didnt go so well, ended up getting stranded because the car lost all power and would not start back up again... Oh no what did I do now?

[​IMG]

once I got it home I checked everything over, and couldnt figure it out. I had spark, I had compression, my timing was spot on.... this could only leave one thing Fuel. And this is what we discovered.

[​IMG]

Ok now I have owned the car for almost two years, the car sat for another winter but I had did alot more work over the winter that I dont have pictures of like ripping apart the entire interior and pulling out at least 50 mice from the car, cleaning and cleaning and cleaning again to get the smell out, installing a new HUD dash, a new fuel pump and strainer, and re adjusting some engine stuff. I also Have bought new rotors for the car but have yet to install them as Im an idiot and lost the key to take my rims off :/ , I recently also got the car running again as it had started developing some weird idle issues but it turned out to just be a vacuum leak and a timing adjustment. I would also like to say that NOW is the fun part of the build because our economy is finally starting to pick back up here and I have a good paying job again so the parts to make it actually go sideways are about to start coming in! Only sad part is that the snow is just around the corner So im not sure how much I can get done before it hits but I will do my best.

here is the last piece I will leave you with, the car running mint and this was literally just filmed before I typed this out!

http://vid1052.photobucket.com/albums/s447/240driftbuild/drift car/IMG_26201_zpsd7kbirdp.mp4

hope you guys and gals enjoy And I will update this as much as possible!
    • Like Like x 3
  2. supraman

supraman Member

Balance:
    605Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Yay updates, And shiny new Parts :)

So today turned out to be a good and bad day, it was good because I finally got around to changing front rotors that the previous owner destroyed, it was bad because while lowering the car down after fixing that problem I created a new one... my jack sunk into the ground so when I lowered the car it didnt move like it was supposed to and I ended up putting a nice big hole in my radiator. Got a replacement already though, so onto todays update!

one random shot of my 3 primary babies before I set up shop for the day haha.

[​IMG]

So this will be kind of like a tutorial build for those of you interested in learning So i will take it step by step as much as I can. This is why the rotors needed to be changed.

[​IMG]

Alright step one remove tire!

[​IMG]

Step two remove caliper slide pins, in this case the 240sx uses two 14mm bolts, then set the caliper up out of the way, I like to sue my suspension to hold it in place others dont.

[​IMG]

Next slide out your pads, remember which one goes where too.

[​IMG]

Now there are two larger bolts that hold the caliper bracket in place remove these to gain access to the rotor. In the case of a 240 these are 19mm bolts, on my car one of the bolts was missing and I had to replace it.

[​IMG]

With the caliper bracket out of the way you should be left with something looking like this, now remove the rotor. Sometimes the rotor can be very seized on there so you can either use a big hammer, or some rotors will have a spot for you to insert a bolt that will push it off of the hub assembly. If this is not too badly rusted I would recommend using that first.

[​IMG]

So now with the rotor gone you should be left with just the hub assembly, now usually this is when I would go ahead and change the wheel studs but as I am going to be doing a 5 lug conversion on this car sometime soon I didnt bother.

[​IMG]

New rotor.

[​IMG]

Rotor installed onto hub assembly.

[​IMG]

Now reinstall the caliper bracket using the two larger bolts ( notice now there is two and not one haha ) , and make sure to put anti seize on these guys and torque to spec.

[​IMG]

Time to re install the pads, I never ended up needing new front pads so I just re used my old pads as the ones on the car were well with in spec.

[​IMG]

Again use anti seize on the two smaller caliper slide pins ( 14mm bolts ) and additionally use come caliper slide pin lube on them as well so they dont seize up on you. now torque these to spec as well.

[​IMG]

All done, no rim.

[​IMG]

All done with rim, yea I know Im missing a lug nut my kit had a few that werent for the same key.

[​IMG]

now repeat these steps to do the other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now remember how I said that I broke my radiator? well Guess what Im doing tomorrow?

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1