1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Begining on 2DOF Motion Platform

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by musicopr, Jan 22, 2010.

1. musicopr

musicopr New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, to everyone. Let me introduce my self. My name is Ivan Nieves i'm from Puerto Rico. I have been reading in this forum for about 6 month and i found a very interesting project. So, this is my first post. I have a couple of project in mind but i'm not an expert with simulators. One of the project that i have in mind is to build a 2DOF Motion Platform similar to the one sell by CKAS: http://www.ckas.com.au/2dof_systems_37.html. or a similar ones by MSESimulation: http://www.msesimulation.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=22. If you see those models, those are real simple to build. I'm not sure on this but i think they are using a MOTOX Geared Motors

ec_index.jpg
    Here is the one use by MSE Simulation vc 6dof pic-1.JPG for me those motor are the sames. So what are you people think about this? If i'm not wrong those companies are using a geared motor and a controller box to control the geared motor. Any suggesting be appreciated. Hope somebody can open my mind with this project.
    thanks to everybody and good jobs for all of you
    regards
    musicopr
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    Hi Ivan,

Welcome to X-Sim. Your project can be accomplished with X-Sim if you have some programming skills. May I ask what you will be attempting to move with your proopsed solution?
  3. musicopr

musicopr New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would like to put a well design flight cockpit on top of the platform like this one: 1-flight-sim-cockpit.jpg . Well i have a degree in computer science but i'm not a master programming but i have a knowledge in programming. What do you think about what i presented here? What do you think about the MOTOX Geared Motors?
    thanks
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Such AC gearhead motors are great. Plenty of torque.
    The big issue is, that we haven't any DIY solution to drive them so far. They need to be operated with dynamic AC phase inverters, which are quite expensive. As well you need a dynamic motorcontroller with positioning control.
    The programming job should be minor. Those devices come usually with a manual :)
    Rather depends on your budget Imo.
  5. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I agree with ego, those AC motors are great if you can control them. You have to take your budget into consideration and how far that money will take you. Maybe using 2x2 wiper motors can give enough power, and still be a lot cheaper.
  6. sn4il

sn4il New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There are also other linear actuators available with better specs than SCN5/6. (exlar, kollmorgen, etc).
    I was looking into using exlars on my rig but my programing skills sucks.
    There is a very interesting thread on this forum about 6DOF platform and exlars actuators. (use search future).
    sn4il
  7. musicopr

musicopr New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your advice. How about this? sarrus1.JPG sarrus2.JPG sarrus3.jpg

This platform from: http://www.simprojects.nl/new_ideas.htm is made with a wiper motor. I don't have any idea how to control this platform. How about to use a servo motor with a servo drive to control the platform? This is just a prototype ,if this work i will build one with steel. Any advice about servo motor and servo drive be appreciate
    regards
    musicopr
  8. musicopr

musicopr New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi, to everyone. In this forum there are a lot of information and projects that are real good to build. As my post title said, i'm a beginner in the world of simulator but i have a lot of ideas and i don't know from where to start. Why i said this, because in this forum there are a lot of expert building simulators but there are a lot of beginner looking for a clear steps to start building simulators. I confuse about what parts do i need to start designing simulators. Let me give you an example: Riton' 2DOF Project a nice project that i'm interesting but he have a videos that had been remove, . I like his project but i don't understand how he did it. I would like to know everything what i need. example. dc motors, motion controller etc... I 'm frustrating because i can't understand how this work. I don't know if what i wrote in here is clear but we the beginner we need more explanation from you the experts.
    thank you in advance to all of those who can help me understand this