1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Are Sim-Plicity Kits worth it or should I build a Mige OSW myslef?

Discussion in 'Direct Drive Wheels' started by Yannis.Krp, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Yannis.Krp

Yannis.Krp New Member

Balance:
    35Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Hello, I'm now on this forum. I was researching on DD wheels online (because I'm interested) and stumbled upon the "$450 direct drive wheel". Then I realized that there were many updates since the first videos. New settings, parts, DACs, etc. Which I couldn't keep track of all the new parts and I couldn't find a form with all the products listed for me to build one. Then I found Sim-plicity which supposedly sells Kits ready (like their SW10 in which I am interested). My question is, does anyone had any experience with this company and is it worth considering it? Will I be able to hook up for example Fanatec pedals and other 3rd party parts like a shifter?
    I'm looking to spend around 800 euros max. From simplicity I'm looking the SW10 which is around 600 euros shipped (+-20). I'm EU based (Belgium). One other concern I have are the import taxes and duties of the servo motor that I'll have to get from Aliexpress (China). So the budget might have to go a bit lower if we take these extra taxes into consideration. I'm open to suggestions!

Quick note. I also have a 3D printer if that's useful :)

Thank you all in advance!
  2. Gadget999

Gadget999 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    My advice is go for the simplicity if you want a simple solution.

I built an osw and its great, but it was not a easy journey with lots of problems along the way and failed parts.

You will get warranty and support if you buy from a company
  3. Yannis.Krp

Yannis.Krp New Member

Balance:
    35Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    Alright, thanks a lot for your recommendation. My only issue with Simplicity is that I cannot find any info about the online. Only a few reviews on forums and some videos. Have you had any experience with them? Are they still backing up the wheel?
  4. David Fuller

David Fuller New Member

Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi there, new here with the same dilemma. In the end i have decided to build my own 20Nm OSW.

I looked into the Sim-plicity SW20 V3 and nearly pulled the trigger but i was worried that i may be stuck with there own software as i believe the V3 does not use the SimuCUBE control board. so with that in mind i decided to go OSW since it has a lot of support, working out the same price and i get the joy of building it :)
  5. Yannis.Krp

Yannis.Krp New Member

Balance:
    35Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor
    I completely understand. My only issue is that I'm interested in the SW10 which is way cheaper than the sw20,so budding an osw myself will be way more expensive. 350 without import duties so it is even higher for the servo from aliexpress (I don't know Lisa's prices and who she is), 450 for simucube ffb controller and ioni, 40 euros for the psu, etc.. My point is that if the software is good simplicity might be worth it and down the road I have the ability to get a simucube and ioni combo since the small mige is powerful enough (15nm). That's my though at least. Can you share with me your product list for the osw?
  6. David Fuller

David Fuller New Member

Balance:
    65Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Honestly i would wait until you can afford the 20nm mige. I messaged the legendary Lisa at Mige and she quoted me $340 for the motor with Biss-C encoder and shielded cables (same as the VRS DFS setup). This included shipping and VAT (theirs no import fees to the UK on Motors) she is happy to invoice you how you would like ;). So this worked out at £250 with paypal and i ordered this morning!

My parts list;
    Control Boards bought together from Simtech Racing UK
    £388 - IONI Pro (couldn't get the HC version to the UK) + SimuCUBE

Power Supply Unit
    £92 - MeanWell NDR-480-48 from UK, or £72 Aliexpress - There are others you can use, i need to research more before ordering this.

Mige 20nm
    £250 from Lisa

Case - Silverstone SG-13
    £40 new. my main pc uses the same so will stack nicely. I am tempted to use an ATX case and have both the PC and the Control box inside....

QR and Motor Mounting bracket i plan to make myself :)

Hope that helps mate. FYI i am new to this so you might find better prices/parts etc
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    there is a good support group on facebook - people seem to like it
  8. Ochso

Ochso New Member Gold Contributor

CAD Designer
    Balance:
    - 40Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6, Motion platform
    Apologies for being a tad late to the conversation.

I "bit the the bullet" and pre ordered one in January this year.
    I went for the SW20v3 even got the wheel and wired button box ( it was on sale ).
    As I had a TM TS-PC wheel and hadnt heard of SRCs TM to OSW wheel adapters then. ( they work very well btw)

As expected it arrived in March. So Ive been using it pretty much daily since then.

I had one problem with the game configurator / patching software where it wouldn't find my steam games that needed it and via a quick email session with Ollie I had a new working patcher in under 24 hours from the first email.
    Its worked with every racing Sim I thrown at it.
    Ive had to re learn some muscle memory responses to the new feedback and also strengthen my old arms as the jump in 'wheel weight' was / is very noticable.
    No doubt this would be the same for most Belt driven to DD wheel upgrades.
    Feel is of course very subjective and the control interface works well its very 'tweakable'.
    Add that to my Fanatec pedals , Prosimu 3M rig and G1 VR headset. Im about as immersed as I can be.

For the £900( including a wheel & button box ) Im more than happy with my purchase, and their ( sim-plicity) support has been excellent.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 26, 2021
  9. theEntreriCode

theEntreriCode New Member

Balance:
    35Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am currently looking at building a rig and putting in a DD as my upgrade. Was considering the DIY route for the Wheel and Pedals. With VRS DFP being such a tempting price, what pushed you guys towards OSW?

In my case, buying a motor from Mige is not really an option due to our import duties in India, but I could buy something locally from an Indian Company or Yaskawa. Would that create a compatibility issue?

Really I am just trying to figure out all the variables and waiting for international travel to open up over the next few months before making my decision.
  10. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    The Fanatec csl DD is about to be released

Its worth waiting to see how good it is

At £350 it could be worth a punt

I reckon there will be torque upgrade kits for it in no time
  11. theEntreriCode

Balance:
    35Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There have been a few reviews by their usual Youtube enablers and influencers. If you read between the lines, it looks like it is a good wheel for someone with an absolute entry level wheel (T150 and its ilk) looking to upgrade.

I'd be worried about false economy. At a price point of 800-1000 odd Euro with rim, pedals and power chip, it is expensive enough where I would probably drive my G29 Rig for a bit longer and jump either to a Simucube 2 Pro, or VRS DFP. Just goes to show how much value the VRS DFP really is.

While there is a point to be made about the Fanatec Ecosystem, lots of people have reported issues and replacements needed during warranty. Doesn't inspire me with confidence in the product. Their firmware had a lot of teething troubles, which they seem to have overcome, so I'll give them that.

Call me crazy but the VRS product is still the best commercial bang for buck wheel IMHO.
  12. Gadget999

Balance:
    11,543Coins
    Ratings:
    +453 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I have never tried the Vrs it looks like a decent product. What hardware does it use? The price is in dollars is it USA made?
  13. theEntreriCode

Balance:
    35Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is on a Small Mige Motor with a proprietary control module and software. It is essentially a commercially available version of the OSW at pretty much the same price point. Read up about it a bit, it is a very viable upgrade path for pretty much anyone remotely interested in a DD set up.