1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Arduino Uno help

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by bsft, Oct 2, 2013.

1. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I am a complete noooooooooooob. I have an ard uno for the shift light setup.
    I downloaded the ard software care of Historikers link, installed it. Plugged in ard, windows could not find driver, so I told it to find driver manually, still didnt work.
    Dunno.
    Lights work right, red solid, blue slow flash.
    Ard program works though, but no ard in device manager.
    I got no idea. Can someone please advise what I have missed?
    Cheers, David.
  2. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,649Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,009 / 9 / -1
    Hi David,

When you say you you told it to find the driver manually was that using the following procedure (from the Arduino site)?

Installing drivers for the Arduino Uno or Arduino Mega 2560 with Windows7, Vista, or XP:
    • Plug in your board and wait for Windows to begin it's driver installation process. After a few moments, the process will fail, despite its best efforts
    • Click on the Start Menu, and open up the Control Panel.
    • While in the Control Panel, navigate to System and Security. Next, click on System. Once the System window is up, open the Device Manager.
    • Look under Ports (COM & LPT). You should see an open port named "Arduino UNO (COMxx)"
    • Right click on the "Arduino UNO (COmxx)" port and choose the "Update Driver Software" option.
    • Next, choose the "Browse my computer for Driver software" option.
    • Finally, navigate to and select the driver file named "arduino.inf", located in the "Drivers" folder of the Arduino Software download (not the "FTDI USB Drivers" sub-directory). If you are using an old version of the IDE (1.0.3 or older), choose the Uno's driver file named "Arduino UNO.inf"
    • Windows will finish up the driver installation from there.

I have also found with many of the Arduino boards I bought off eBay that they don't show up as "Arduino UNO (COMxx)" under the "Ports (COM & LPT)". They just appear as "Unknown Device" under "Unknown Devices" with a yellow exclaimation mark. Still use the same procedure just select this instead.

Hope that helps. :thumbs
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes my device shows up as unknown device. I followed the instructions as above 4 times before I posted this.
    I cannot find a driver file call "arduino.inf" in nay folder, so I am wondering if I have the wrong driver for it. I just downloaded the driver off the link Historiker sent.
  4. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,649Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,009 / 9 / -1
    From memory I don't think you can actually select the file name itself, you select the folder the arduino.inf is located. (which would suggest the instructions above are not quite correct).

So if you have downloaded the arduino.inf file, try to put it in its own folder somewhere easy to find and select that folder when required.
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, got it, (thanks Rob), I am running a freetronics version so I found the .inf file and got him working, beawdy.
    Thanks fellas for the help.
  6. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF