1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

ANTVR KIT: All-IN-ONE Universal Virtual Reality Kit

Discussion in 'News' started by yobuddy, Jun 1, 2014.

1. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    Anyone seen this yet?
    Looks interesting!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e-universal-virtual-reality-kit?ref=discovery

yobuddy
  2. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    interesting
  3. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    I like that it's open source, and that its got it's funding for production.
    Only time will tell now, but it does have better specs than the oculus.
    yobuddy
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 2 / -0
    it just got funded... i will be a reality...

i was reading some months ago, that the vr scene in the 90's failed because the lack of an standard... i hope that this kind of development being open could the trick.

best regards

fer
  5. XORExploit

XORExploit

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea, but i think this not the way when you are driving simulator games like e.k.s. rFactor2.
    I do not like wearing more thinks on my head :) and i want to use real steering wheel.

But that is just my opinion
    with regards
    XORExploit
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,400Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    @XORExploit I agree.
    For flight would be fun thou, even on the No limits RollerCoaster it would be a thrill. Pros and Cons like most stuff.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Scratch

Scratch Active Member

Balance:
    281Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    It seems at first glance very similar to Oculus Rift, but wireless and with a controller, but there are few things... What makes Oculus Rift so special experience, is the FOV wide enough to almost cover your whole vision and very short response time and fast headtracking (even with DK1). It tricks your mind to think what you see is actually there.

ANTVR compares the experience is like sitting in an IMAX theatre watching BIG screen. That is not the same thing, kills the immersion of being there if you see the black borders, just a very big screen attached to your head. And being wireless, I doubt the response is fast enough. If a game played with Oculus Rift has a low framerate, you instantly feel a little dizzy and break out of the illusion and presence.

But still, it is good that these headsets start to interest various manufacturers. I like racing with VR headset (iRacing and Live for Speed have a top notch Rift support allready), waiting axiously the high resolution consumer version, no matter is it from Oculus or from some other company if it delivers the real VR experience with appropriate resolution, FOV and response time.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  8. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    "ANTVR compares the experience is like sitting in an IMAX theatre watching BIG screen", I believe this is just to explain it to the normal individual.
    The specs on the ANTVR are actually better than the oculus. But I would not want to be the first one to buy one! lol
    It looks like it is going to be less that $300 USD, which is a good price point I think.
    We will just have to wait and see!!
    yobuddy
  9. Scratch

Scratch Active Member

Balance:
    281Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Yup, the price is good and I really like it being wireless, open source and working with virtually any kind of hardware. Definitelly interested hearing first experiences when these start to ship out. Still a bit doubtful though... I cannot figure out how the image is able to wrap around your vision properly (not looking like a screen) without distortion. And 100 deg FOV seems narrow, I'm just able to see the edges inside Rift DK1 (edges of the lense cups) and it has 110 deg FOV which is hmm... almost enough :)

But like you said, we have to wait and see!
  10. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    I'd like to see the difference from the oculus with ANTVR's aspherical lens.
    See if it really makes a difference.
    yobuddy
  11. telfel

telfel Active Member

Balance:
    4,735Coins
    Ratings:
    +118 / 3 / -0
    castAR ?
  12. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,840Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Than your eyes much better than mine. I can not see the edges...:)
    This thingy seems to be the best Oculus clone i ve seen so far.

A (chinese) saying that applies: You better copy well than make it bad self-build:D
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. yobuddy

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,214Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    "You better copy well than make it bad self-build"
    LOL - to funny!
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Scratch

Scratch Active Member

Balance:
    281Coins
    Ratings:
    +181 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    There was a lot of discussion in the Oculus VR forums about this subject, some people apparently have wider field of view than others. My wife also sees the edges, my mother does not for example. And I'm color blind with red and green (can see green and red, but lots of green dots and red dots together look the same...), not good eyes in that regard at all :)