1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question Actuator Specs

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by ghley, Mar 24, 2023.

1. ghley

ghley New Member

Balance:
    26Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi there,

I'm currently looking to build a full 3DOF sim rig and I'm having trouble deciding which Actuators to use.

I'm currently looking at Pro Simu, Qubic and Sigma Integrale.

Since I'm planning to be using VR I'm somewhat limited when it comes to motion compensation and I don't like that I have to pay yearly to have access to this feature, so the Qubic system is at least in that way unique as it provides VR Compensation for free forever with their software.

Now, their software is of course only supported until they are out of business or until they are tired of supporting the Qubic system as their main line of work is huge commercial systems. So there is that. Also being limited to 3Dof given that the 6DOF solution is another 10k and ridiculously heavy, there is barely any path to upgrade further down the line (as of now).

BUT when we look at specs, it gets a lot more confusing quickly.

The Pro Simu Boast with more than 2G Acceleration but their max speed is only 280mm/s so within 0.015s they reach top speed. The Qubic system in Q Mode takes 0.1s to THEIR top speed of 800mm/s with 0.8G or 0.05s in Performance mode with 0.7G and 400mm/s top speed. Most of the other manufacturers don't even talk about acceleration and only post their top speeds.

Now this gets a lot more complex as just raw numbers when I want to compare rotation speeds it depends in what time frame. Anything below 0.1s the Pro Simu will rotate the platform more quickly (pitch/roll) but anything above 0.1s with big motions the Qubic system will be faster because of the higher top speeds. But then again, with "only" 100mm of travel, it won't do much rotating at that top speed anyway since it still has to stop the motion before reaching the max travel.

It seems like it doesn't matter that much and because my goal is sim racing which means, rather low suspension travel and at that point 100mm should be fine but still, quick short motions isn't their thing apparently (at least not as quick as for example the pro simu). But on the other hand, pro Simu do not boast about the capability of replacing haptics within their system. Qubic claims that with up to 100Hz they can simulate haptics without the need of additional hardware. Who knows without testing if that claim is correct...

So what should I do here? The Qubic system seems fully plug and play, has nice compact components and just looks like a nice product overall (including VR support without annual payment). They also claim 100% built in europe which is a bonus (for a european myself, which also explains the price). And given that I won't buy any other system for a long while, I wouldn't even notice if it's worse than the competition ;p (EDIT: looks like the Prosimu are 100% made in France, so this point goes to both systems)

Any valuable input I can work with here or an alternative I simply forgot, but it seems even though expensive the Qubic System seems to solve most of my problems without much additional work on my end.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023