1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

AC gearhead motors?

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by egoexpress, Jan 13, 2008.

1. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hi,

Is there a possibility to use such AC gearhead motors?

[​IMG]

Perhaps if we would find a way to DIY some cheap drivers/frequency-inverters!?

Those beasts provide 150Nm torque
    -respective 15kgf at the end of a 1 meter long leaver
    -respective 30kgf at the end of a 500mm leaver

They turn 0,6rps respective >1meter/s with a 500mm leaver ;)

That means 6 of them could handle a 6DOF Platform with a total of 240kg max with nearly 1meter leaver movement range.
    And a power consumtion total of 4,5kw ;)

reagards
    Christian
  2. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Ego,

I have seen some info on driving them with AVR... using multiplexed frequencys on an inverter. I will research it more as it looks interesting option for 6DOF simulators!

Regards, Thanos
  3. motorwinder

motorwinder New Member

Electric Motor Winder, Mechanic, Field Service. 31
    Balance:
    500Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello Gentlemen,

Of the AC type motors that would suite this application, I believe only the 3 phase type would meet the requirements as they will easily vary their speed and direction with the use of a frequency drive. Many of the 208 to 230 volt 3 phase drives will accept a single phase voltage creating a 3 phase output, some as much as 5hp or 2-3kw. I am not aware of any lower voltage units though.

Overall, I think a stepper motor is probably best suited of all the rotary motors for these projects.

My thoughts have been to use a linear actuator or linear motor (not the ball screw type). I repaired one some years ago and was quite impressed with its performance. The particular unit was chosen over a solenoid for its constant force output. It could have easily been operated by a drive to controlled the direction and speed of the output. Essentially it was a three phase motor, all of the coils positioned in a straight line with only the rotor or actuator traveling through the center of the fields. Simple and effective.

http://www.electricmotors.machinedesign.com/guiEdits/Content/bdeee2/bdeee2_2.aspx

I discovered these in my searches ...
    http://www.guilden.com/phillipdenne/subjects/em-actuators.htm
  4. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This can be nice as it elliminates the need to convert the rotational output of the motors to linear. I guess it will be much more efficient than conventional electric linear actuators too as the power doesn't get lost in the mechanical part as friction!

But I guess its hard (and propably dangerous) to make a DIY one, right?

Regards, Thanos
  5. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Hi motorwinder

Welcome!

I think those motors I mentioned are 3-phase motors, who are converted to single phase driving (because of the big caps in the black box). Should be possible to drive them via pwm an frequency invertert with a single phase power supply !??

regards
    Christian
  6. motorwinder

motorwinder New Member

Electric Motor Winder, Mechanic, Field Service. 31
    Balance:
    500Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the welcome gentlemen,

Stepper motor and a 3 phase motor are similar as for the windings.
    Their differences are in the Rotors, a stepper motor uses magnets whereas a 1 or 3 phase induction motors do not.
    The PWM drives that I have worked with sends out DC pulses for use with DC motors and would not run an AC induction motor.
    Of all the rotational motors, the stepper motors offer the greatest efficiency and torque especially at low speeds due to the permanent magnet rotor.

As for building a true electric linear actuator, it is possible and not extremely difficult.
    I see Baldor actually makes one, they call it a Polynoid Linear Motor
    Here's a link to some of their products.

Cheers
    Mark
  7. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I am thinking that AC motors are a good option, still. On http://www.servos.com they use 220/110 VAC gearheadmotors to drive their 6DOF Platforms, and it works quite well.

[​IMG]

Even with rumble. Watch their videos in the multimedia/motion systems section. It shouldnt be that hard to make a reduction box out of pulleys and and a belt.

Regards
    Christian