1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom 6DOF Build (Bodine Motors, Sabertooth, FlyPT Mover)

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by BondeX, Mar 10, 2016.

1. BondeX

BondeX Active Member

EE
    Balance:
    1,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Actually @pipis2015 is correct, 8A is 8A, doesn't matter what voltage level supplies it.
  2. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    While Technically correct, Its a Moot point as Craig pointed out.
  3. pipis2015

pipis2015 over-boost

Balance:
    10,248Coins
    Ratings:
    +271 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I was not trying to give a lecture but safety is an issue here and specs are there so components are operated within their designed envelope.

Other than that everyone is free to do whatever they feel like is best for them according to their point of view.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. BondeX

BondeX Active Member

EE
    Balance:
    1,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  5. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    the Fancy 180 hall effect Pot output shafts are 6.35mm in diameter. The other end of the Coupler will depend on the motor/Configuration your running.

Click on "Datasheet" when looking at technical components as such and it will give you Everything.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    I agree 1/4" pot shaft and then direct to your motor or you will have to fashion a connection on the motor side. I recommend you drop the FS (flat shaft) spec on the end of your hall pots and just use a round shaft instead.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xflexible shaft coupler.TRS0&_nkw=flexible shaft coupler&_sacat=0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BondeX

BondeX Active Member

EE
    Balance:
    1,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  8. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    A/B which are the same can be what ever the heck you want it to be, Couplers come in all shapes and sizes.
  9. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    First get a 1/4" on both ends pot coupler. Then if you have a 5/8" drill bit weld your lever on the motor coupler first. Then stick the 5/8" bit thru the coupler and drill in enough that you have a good indentation in the center. Then use a 1/4" bit and drill the rest of the way thru the lever. Now put a 1/4" bolt in thru the coupler and lever and use a nut on the outside of the lever to secure it. Now you can attach your motor and pot to your lever. If you don't have a 5/8" bit you may want to drill the 1/4" hole in your lever first and then make sure its centered somehow before you weld it to the coupler.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  10. BondeX

BondeX Active Member

EE
    Balance:
    1,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks @BlazinH, took me a good minute to absorb what you suggested :) It will work. Thanks a lot

Not finding the round shaft 180 pot. Thats what I originally wanted.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  11. BlazinH

Balance:
    16,574Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    While it shouldn't matter, if you don't want to cinch your pot coupler down on bolt threads, you could instead use a smooth shank 1/4 bolt, cut the threads it does have off, and weld it to the lever instead of using a nut.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BondeX

BondeX Active Member

EE
    Balance:
    1,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
  13. shannonb1

shannonb1 Well-Known Member

Sales Intelligence
    Balance:
    8,909Coins
    Ratings:
    +598 / 5 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    I find rod ends to be quieter especially if you dont get the heim joints with bearings. They also wear out sooner because of metal on metal.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    The Aliexpress/Tie Rod End Style are IMO vastly superior, They are a Greased joint with Significantly more "angle" potential without the need for Shims or washer's and are also Significantly cheaper....welding will be required regardless imo, strait threaded rod is a No go unless its 1/2" or up and even then in long enough length's even that will "bow" with enough pressure.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,158 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Even though I am using the cheaper bung type Hiem joints I agree with Nick. The Tie Rod end type are much better for a 6DoF project.

And you will have to do some welding to get strong rods. Threaded rods bend easy, as Nick says, because each thread is a joint or pre-cut that is likely any side force at all will cause a bend or even a break. I ran into this on my 6DoF. I had forgotten that when I recommended Heim joints.

For welding, if lack of a welder is at issue Harbor Frieght has a really cheap 110v welder that, hard to believe as it is, is dependable. I have had mine for several years and it works every time I plug it in.

The welder is on sale right now for 81.00. I do not usually buy tools at HB due to the low quality but I do love their hand clamps (I have 70 of them....before that sounds nuts do remember that I own and operate a custom cabinet shop) and I have been very happy with this welder:

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-ac-120-volt-flux-cored-welder-61849.html

61849_zzz_alt3_500.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Damn you Historiker, You just cost me 80 USD....lol Trip down South in a couple weeks For First Round of Racing Racing and this is almost too cheap to pass up along with a decent review. :thumbs:thumbs

Edit*** turns out i can get the very much similar unit locally, from our own Princess Auto for a few bucks more, but the near lifetime warranty you can haggle with at princess wins it out in case of ever needing to return it. Thanks for the push tho, Always wanted to do my own small project welding (Ill leave the fancy curved seat frames to my buddy Lol)
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  17. BondeX

BondeX Active Member

EE
    Balance:
    1,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @shannonb1, @Nick Moxley & @Historiker, thanks for helping me make a decision. Order placed for tie rod end :)

I have a welder, its just that I do not trust my welding skills, oh well, too late now. So now i need to order the rods. Here is what I am thinking.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bo...n-Steel-Cold-Rolled-Round-Rod-48140/100338204
    or
    amazon.com/gp/product/B0066ENSNA

and then I will have to weld a piece of this amazon.com/M10X1-5-Ametric%25C2%25AE-DIN-975-Threaded/dp/B00DJTJB54 at the end and thats it right?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Not Solid rod....Hollow 3/4 Round bar. Welde a Bolt to the Ends and whamo, ready for Female Rod ends.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-36-in-x-3-4-in-x-1-16-in-Plain-Steel-Round-Tube-801237/204225742
    [​IMG]
    You can Just BARELY make out the bole heads anymore, a Quality weld WILL be required to grind them this "Flush" without fear of it breaking. These were welded but a LARGE mamma jamma stick welder that i highly doubt a Small Wire feed can penetrate As deep....but what ever bolts and the tube are cheap....Buy an extra tube and Practice welding bolts to the ends.....MAKE sure to keep them strait too, No crooked a** bolts allowed....lol

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. BondeX

BondeX Active Member

EE
    Balance:
    1,515Coins
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Nick Moxley, would this hollow bar be sturdy enough? In your 2nd pic, why is the tie rod end on the left shorter? Did you cut it?

Also why hollow? Why not solid? One would think that solid would be more sturdy.
  20. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hollow is More than strong enough for starters, and Solid rod is Way Overkill on weight. The 2nd rod end has been cut to clear part of my gearbox and have it flush with the Nut on the backside of the lever.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1