1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

6DoF SFX100+100 TL Surge Sway

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Historiker, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Historiker

Historiker Dramamine Adict Gold Contributor

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I have a 6DoF build with Bodine 12v heavy duty motors for flying and a 3DoF, same motors, for driving. I have been thinking hard about condensing the two for a while. Here is my new build.

Inspired by the SFX100 setups that I have seen here, I decided to use maple lumber instead of aluminum profile as a have a rack full of utility grade rock maple lumber that I have no other use for. The end result will have 5DoF (no yaw/traction loss but the sway will give a good indication of slip and I could always add yaw later.

EDIT: Added traction loss. 7 AC motors in total

I found a great deal on six motors and drivers on AliExpress. Great deal until of course they contacted me and said that their ad was incorrect and would I please send them 700.00 more....No. I canceled the order and received my refund in a few days. Unfortunately that means that I need to wait a bit longer for my budget to fill out and buy six from a more reputable seller (there is a good one listed in the SFX100 website.

Motors: 220v AC Servo motors and drivers.
    Interface: Probably Thanos for more options and compatibility.
    I already have 220v 60A service to my simpit (I was thinking forward when I build my house).
    Lots and lots of 3D printing. I recently upgraded to a Creality Ender 5 Pro and it works fantastic so all is good there.

Six motors: Four for the corners - heave, roll, pitch, one for surge (20mm linear slides), 0ne for sway (also 20mm linear slides).

The main frame is reused from my 3DoF simpit, added lumber framing and panels for controllers. 3x4" lumber frame to mount the four motors.

The steel frame is already set up for pedals and an OSW direct drive wheel. The pedals have been remounted to tilt up and out so the rudder pedals can be placed and clipped down. (more details when I get around to taking pictures of that).

20210225_180252.jpg 20210226_184539.jpg

More to come.

Thanks to @wannabeaflyer2 and @T R Para for the inspiration.
    • Like Like x 6
    • Creative Creative x 2
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    You will love the AC servo motors, they are so powerful (I have 3 x 1.8kw)very easy to use with mine working without issue on a standard 10 amp 240V outlet (no exotic power supply as was required with my old DC setup). Today If you have the budget, truely a no brainer.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    More work in progress. The biggest hurdle for me is not the motion, I do not have to reinvent the wheel after all. The two sets of pedals was the real issue. The flight HOTAS is to the sides, the wheel in front, so how do I make the pedals easy and quick to swap?

I designed the driving pedals to pivot out and to the front (need to install the slide lock for that yet so it doesnt move while in motion), and the rudder pedals simply sit in a bracket and cam locks (from windows) lock them firmly in place.

The left side is mounted with two super duty hinges and locks in various positions with a slide lock. That makes it east to get out as well as allowing me access to my helicopter collective (DIY) which will be mounted below the throttle.

Please excuse the mess. I was in a hurry yesterday to get everything working as the DCS group that I fly with had a four hour deep strike mission planned and I did not want to miss it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hey @SeatTime thanks. 1.8kw are huge. Sounds like I need to catch up on your latest build!
  5. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I ordered (backordered) a Thanos AMC controller, looking forward to playing around with that when it ships/arrives. I am thinking of ordering two motor/drive sets for Surge and Sway which I already have set up and ready for motors. The other four are still somewhat a quandary for me. Availability and shipping costs are an issue for now.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Looks like I got my order for the Thanos AMC controller in just in time, the price has gone up another 30.00. I never received an emailed receipt but my credit card was charged so I am hopeful that my order will go through. An email confirmation would have been good for piece of mind.

More slides (for sway) are on their way. I am going to double them up so I can put the SFX100s directly over the slide mounts.

I have still not decided on traction loss. I have a pretty good system to do the slides for traction loss, my last one held up for years. I might overbuild it this time and use it. I created slides with a couple dozen in-line skate wheels. One under the seat and another under the motors (my 3DoF). I might do the same but with the entire bottom platform with wheels. In-line skates are so easy to find at junk stores now for next to nothing. I designed it and then cut them out on my CNC router table. I could take an entire platform and route it all at once. My table is 9' x 5' (2750 x 1525).

An automotive wheel hub (it has a bolt flange on the inside) would be perfect for the pivot, I have one sitting on a shelf in the shop. A pin with bearing to mount the actuator to the base and a heim joint to attach it to the traction loss platform would be a good combination.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I am reusing a lot from my old 3DoF, the sled adapted for both flight and driving (pictures above) and my base which is built as a torsion table for rigidity.

My old 3DoF below

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    YEAH! Thanks to @T R Para I was able to find seven motors/drivers with free US shipping for 236 each.

I guess I am indeed adding traction loss to my rig now...might as well.

Need to get busy and design/route a traction loss base...

I am sooo looking forward to receiving the motors and the Thanos drive so I can play with them. I wonder if I can get them to play John Williams' Star Wars theme? (yes...I know they are not stepper motors...) :D
    • Like Like x 4
  9. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up

Retired
    Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +357 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    Wow Good job on the motor acquisition. You must be pretty happy. And that stimulus check just makes it even better.

Let us know how your feeling in a week or so as you realize just how much work you have gotten yourself into:):):)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Work? Have you seen my simpit build history? I make a new one every time I sneeze, lol

:D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    My sway slides arrived today!

I plan on putting two under each set of actuators, just in case.

I also dug out my pivot....massive overkill but it will work very well. Perhaps I should bolt a mag wheel to it?
    :grin

20210311_121027.jpg 20210311_121035.jpg 20210311_121818.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  13. T R Para

T R Para i make stuff up

Retired
    Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +357 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, 6DOF
    The exact measurements on the various extrusions may differ from each other. The ITEM 24 extrusions needed the slider to be resized to fit vs the original Kinetik extrusion..
  14. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    I can design one that will fit. Printing anything will wait for the extrusion to be in hand anyway
  15. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    For grins and giggles I decided to design printables for 90x90 extrusion.

Started with a threaded slide sized to fit 9090, I have seen others who printed theirs with threads and seem very happy with the results. Eager to see how PetG holds up as a slide material, both for the extrusion and the threads. I have a dry lube called GlideCote by Bostik that I have used on my cabinet shop tables/router bits/etc. It is amazingly slippery and shockingly long lasting. I might drill 1/8" hole in the side of each extrusion so I can lube them once in a while.

The rest of the parts are pretty standard, just sized to fit 9090. The top bearing is inset into the top mount, and the bottom linear bearing is mounted facing out.

Parts were created in Solidworks. As soon as I can test them I will post both the solidworks files and the STL files here.

9090 SFX90 bottom plate.JPG 9090 SFX90 Motor Mount.JPG 9090 SFX90 threaded slider.JPG 9090 SFX90 Top Plate.JPG
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    The First motor has arrived, the shipper sent them from three locations...

Also, my traction loss/yaw(ish) base is finished. Here are the raw images, I do have it painted and assembled with the rest but have not taken pictures.

20210318_125414.jpg 20210316_144042.jpg 20210316_151156.jpg 20210316_151201.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    This thing is a beast. Slides butter smooth, and at a touch though. Really need to set up my ball screws to make it stable enough to use until Thanos' controller arrives.

I am going to move the surge slides forward so the weight of the simpit is carried by all four motors evenly.

20210318_150526.jpg

You can see the driving pedals flip up and out of the way and the rudder pedals clip in.

20210318_150653.jpg

The traction loss base....swerving to the right.

20210318_150707.jpg

My car wheel hub. Bolted perfectly into the traction loss section and the base. (Are not CNC machines handy?)

20210318_150729.jpg

The left wing open, easy access and egress.

20210318_150753.jpg

My monitors, keyboard and fan as well as the flexible HMD wire mount slides across the room on a shuttle. This was great when I was using separate driving and flying simpits.

20210318_151011.jpg
    • Like Like x 6
  18. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    My Seven Motor Army!

20210319_205211.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks @DirkGently for the like, but you already knew I was going to say that didn't you?
    :grin
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Historiker

Retired
    Balance:
    9,176Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,156 / 19 / -1
    My Motion Simulator:
    The Thanos AMC driver arrived yesterday! Now I have to find some time to set it up. I have Surge, Sway and Yaw ready to use.
    • Like Like x 1