1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3DPGR's 6DOF build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Jamie Wilson, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Member

Balance:
    285Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    After following so many amazing builds on this forum, I have decided to attempt building my own 6 DOF rig. To be used mainly for flight sims, but also racing.

Firstly, thank you to all that have helped me get this far. I'm not one for build threads, but I'm offering my journey in the hope that it might help others along theirs.

Here is a list of the equipment I am using.

1610 650 ballscrews
    1019 coupler
    FK12 bearing
    80ST-M02430 220V 750W AC Servo motor and controllers
    Thanos controller
    80mm Aluminium outer tube
    50mm Stainless inner tube
    80mm Aluminium square tube
    Top bush and piston guide made from MOS2 nylon
    Ballscrew end support, 3D printed in nylon.
    Lots of nuts and bolts!

Here is the basic design in CAD. A few dimensions have changed along the way, but its basically the same.
    The design can rotate, so I will use a clevis style joint at each end.

Screenshot 2021-05-16 10.03.16.png Screenshot 2021-05-16 10.03.29.png

I wanted to make one actuator first, to make sure everything went together and worked. (Excuse some of the bolts, these are temporary.)

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

Here is the first video. Seems to work ok. Sounds a bit loud on the floor, although it isn't quiet when moving fast.

More to come.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Member

Balance:
    285Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Haven't updated this in a while, but have been working on the rig on and off.
    Here are a few more photos.
    I had quite a few parts made in China. Quality was very good, better than I expected.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Member

Balance:
    285Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    I built the frame from wood to check clearances and to see if things acted as I hoped.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  4. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Member

Balance:
    285Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Found that there really wasn't as much room between actuator pivot points on the base as I wanted. Moving them further apart allowed for more clearance of the pedal area during yaw, and the added bonus of making it easier to enter and exit the rig.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Member

Balance:
    285Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Here area some assembly pictures of the actuators. Painted them in Audi Nardo grey.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 3
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  6. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Member

Balance:
    285Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    The base is made from 100x50 steel, I think 6mm thick. It's HEAVY, and I needed to make a little dolly up to move it around. :)
    I used 17mm plywood to cover the top and carpeted in marine grey.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Member

Balance:
    285Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Decided on building the top of the rig from 65mm square aluminium. Seems strong and rigid and weighs about 9kg on it's own.
    I was worried about designing with a single centre beam, and now wish I had gone with two spaced apart.
    Thinking of using a below floor joystick mechanism, but there is no room without modifications.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Member

Balance:
    285Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Some pictures of the chair. Changed from Sparco Circuit 2 to a Sparco R333. Mainly because the circuit was very restrictive when looking to the sides with VR headset on. And also difficult to work a collective on the side. Happy with the choice so far. Plus I ended up putting an adjustable slide on the bottom.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Member

Balance:
    285Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Side project is building a heli cyclic. Lucky to have my own SLS 3D printer so made the handle from nylon 12.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Member

Balance:
    285Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Another

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Dirty

Dirty Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

All the way up front.
    Balance:
    7,826Coins
    Ratings:
    +859 / 2 / -0
    Hey :)

thanks for pointing me here. Nice build!

You have your own SLS printer and an aluminum welding machine?!? Nice! I wish I had half your toolshop. Usually, whenever family ask me what I wish for christmas, I say: "Aluminum welding machine and a CNC" :-D I wonder why I havent gotten one yet?!? ...got plenty of socks though.

Why didn't you print those parts you got made in China (POM?) from PA12? Should be way strong enough.

One thing I noticed: Try not to let the angle between the actuators get too pointy. Ideally you would want them to be around 90° in the standby position but that will naturally vary during motion. The pointier you have them, the less rigidity you get in surge and sway. If the angle gets too large (like >120° or so) on the other end, you might end up with less rigidity in heave.

Here's two drastic examples:

Very little rigidity in surge/sway
    PointyRig.png

Very little rigidity in heave
    flat rig.png

Will follow here :)
  12. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Member

Balance:
    285Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Thanks Dirty for your valuable input.

I'm working on a revision and thanks to your Rig-O-meter, I'll move the lower points closer together. It actually shows slightly better symmetry with roll and pitch front and back.

Cheers
    Jamie
  13. loon_NG

loon_NG New Member

Balance:
    92Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    6DOF
    Hi @Jamie Wilson, thank you for sharing your work. I'm also starting to build mine. I'm in the state of collecting informations from contributors. So I made my choice for AC servo motor like yours and other contributors.

For the actuator, I like your design but I'll mount the motor in parallel like @pooh did to gain space. I see that you use the same universal joint as @PeterW and in my thought it's the best solution. So I'd to ask you how did you get them from china? What is the material of the black joint? POM? What is the thickness of the U-shape?

Cheers,
    loon_NG