1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question 3DOF: SCN5 Wiring and Software

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by RMVS Team, Mar 25, 2017.

1. RMVS Team

RMVS Team New Member

Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, SCN6, Arduino, 4DOF
    Hey X-Sim community,

I am back with more questions and this time it is regarding my large scale 3DOF seat mover build. I have been looking into potential linear actuators and SCN5s have been known to work well with SimsTools. I have been able to piece a lot of information together via past builds and tutorials on here, but there are still some missing information that I hope you guys can elaborate on.

First and foremost, the examples that I have seen on the forums use RS232/RS485 Serial Converter Adapter like this one:
    RS485_w_FTDI.PNG
    to connect the SCN5 actuator to the PC like so:

RS485_SCN5_Wiring.PNG
    ** Note: Only 1 RS485 per Actuator **

But SCN5 comes with the following wires:
    SCN5_Actuator.png
    SCN5_Wires.PNG

Per the Operational Manual for SCN5, the supplier suggest getting the following items: PC-CTC ToolKit = ADP Cable (RP9050), SIO Cable (RP9041), Connector Junction (ADP-2-4), RS232/485 Adapter (ADP-1), and TBVST-EN Software = ~$400+!!!
    SCN5_Setup_per_Manual.PNG
    From the builds I have seen on here, the wiring completely ignores the Power & IO connections like so:
    SCN5_Single_Setup.PNG
    Which results to a potential cost of ~$10-$20. This is where I am confused.

So here are my questions:
    1) Is the PC-CTC ToolKit (valued at a base price of $275) needed? How does the alternative (RS232/RS485 Serial Converter Adapter) act as a substitute?
    2) What about the TBVST software that is used to program the actuators?
    3) How does the SCN5 interface with SimsTool (without a microcontroller like the Arduino)?
    4) Why are the Power & IO and the 5V+ connections ignored?

I really appreciate the active support that exists in this community. I'm excited to build my first simulator, but it seems like I first have to climb many walls. Thanks for the help ahead of time!

I have attached the official SCN5 Operation Manual for those who wants to refer to it.

Attached Files:

2. RMVS Team

RMVS Team New Member

Balance:
    136Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, SCN6, Arduino, 4DOF
    I have successfully implemented SCN5 linear actuators! I will gather my work and post a detailed documentation at a later date on what I did wrong and how I fixed it.