1. This Software is no longer supported by us. Please download the new motion control software SimTools.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  4. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  5. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3Dof mathematics

Discussion in 'Force-Profiler Simulator Control' started by oleg, Aug 21, 2012.

1. oleg

oleg New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I am building own 3DoF motion simulator. I successfull received game data from LTS using X-Sim Sender. But I can't understand what to do next? Profiler see that data but I can't find ready profile for 3DoF mechanics and I even don't know what formulas I need to use to calculate actuators position.
    Please tell me where can I read about 3DoF mathematics? Which motion values could simulate my mechanics: Pitch, roll and vertical movements?

Thanks for any help,
    Oleg.
  2. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,839Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
  3. oleg

oleg New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, my mistake. I mean LFS or Live for Speed.
    No, but thank you for the tip. I'll look at this solution.
  4. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let me give you an example of how these math work:

Example1, 2DOF:

You mix non-inverted longitude and inverted latitude acceleration values on one of the motor, and mix inverted longitude and non-inverted latitude acceleration values on one of the motor. You can also mix in all motors some heave for surface details like bumps etc.

• inverted math: { }
      non-inverted math [ ]

Left motor: [X] + {Y}
    Right motor {X} + [Y]

Now in a 3DOF example the table grows a lot bigger:

Front motor: {H} + [X] + {Y} - [H] - {X} - [Y]
    Right motor: [X] + {Y} + [H] - {X} - [Y] - {H}
    Left motor: {X} + [Y] + {H} - [X] - {Y} - [H]

Of course there is a much simpler way to do it outside x-sim math section inside an intelligent microcontroller.

Thanos
  5. oleg

oleg New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    tronicgr, thank you very much for the reply. Of course it will be better if all calculations will be done outside the X-Sim software. And I'll do this, but now I am interested in mathematical and physical process. I can't understand what my racechair must simulate?
    3DoF mechanic allows to move chair up/down and rotate it along longitude and latitude axes. In term of Outsim these values called Z-position, Roll and Pitch.
    Most obviously for me the simulator must repeat pitch and roll rotation and somehow add accelerations values to it.
    You wrote that I must take into account long. and lat. accels only. Don't must I use angular velocity/acceleration at all?
    My main problem I don't understand which kind of movements/accelerations/forces can/must my mechanic simulate?
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Lateral = side to side shift going around cornering.
    Longitudinal = being pushed back under initial acceleration and being pushed forward under braking.
    Vertical = bumps, ripple strips, saw tooth edges on track, etc.
    Pitch = to give you the effect you are climbing a hill or incline up and down, the frame should just nicely lean back and forth.
    Roll = helps counteract some big lateral and can add the effect of big dips in the road on one side of the track or going around a steep bank corner.

So what sort of rig are you planning or already have?
    Sounds like a 3DOF, but 3 DOF lift? or 2.5DOF with yaw - drift swing?
  7. oleg

oleg New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am planning to build a triangle model: three vertical actuators. This type of mechanics will move up/down and perform pitch/roll rotation. But the question is can I mix to these movements simulation of lat/long acceleration or some other type of forces?
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes you can, on my sim, I run on each axis - motor, lateral, longitudinal, vertical and pitch, all on the one motor. I just invert forces when the need to be and set numbers. I also add collision effect to soften harshness on lat, long and vert.
  9. oleg

oleg New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, I'll try to combine all values.
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    heres a screen shot of my math section for profiles on one motor. I use 3 forces and 3 collision effects to suit the force.
    Any further questions about this, you will need to refer to my signature
    :hi:

Attached Files:

11. oleg

oleg New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. nclabs

nclabs Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much, bsft! I was wondering to solve the same problem with the new simulator I want to build. May I ask you if you have 3 axis, right? Thank you again.
  13. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Firstly, I no longer use the previous software as shown in the picture.
    I still only run 2 DOF and use the current beta testing simtools .
    So I only have 2 axis, but on each I run the new forces.
    Surge - car acceleration and braking (also gives a gear change up jolt)
    Sway - side to side lean of car going into and out of corners
    Heave - bumps
    Pitch - feeling of going up and down hills

Havent used roll, cannot quite seem to get it right.

There is no collision effect in this software as the guys got the max/min settings right so you set a number and go on the force/feeling you want.

With Simtools, there is no real comparison to previously used software , as the forces and feelings have been very well researched and refined to make this new software outstanding.
  14. nclabs

nclabs Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    196Coins
    Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    Oh, thank you for the update but right now I want to stick to the old software, the question was about that. Do you remember your old configuration?
  15. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

nope, sorry, cannot remember.
    Everyones setup is different so everyone will need to find their own set of values.
  16. poman

poman Active Member

Balance:
    154Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    HEHE, i know it might not be the right tread to ask, but, do anybody know when that new fantastic sim software official version will be available?? very curious to see the difference :)
    tks
  17. RaceRay

RaceRay Administrator Staff Member SimAxe Beta Tester

Self-employed | Web and application development
    Balance:
    23,839Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,968 / 13 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, SimAxe, SimforceGT
    Its planned to release in 1-2 weeks:)
    • Like Like x 1