1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

36v geared DC motors

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by tpba, Jul 8, 2009.

1. tpba

tpba Member

IT
    Balance:
    374Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello
    I've been researching my plans for a pit for some time now, and thanks to those on this site for their great work.
    I recently came across these motors http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com//pr ... 9d77383478 and thought that whilst the price is not exactly cheap, they are cheaper than the SCN5's. They seem quite powerful for the price and I'm thinking of buying 6 of these for a 6DOF platform. FYI they will discount for 10 or more and I know someone else who may be interested in bringing the numbers up..

However I'd like to hear what some of you might think about them please -most/many of you have spent more time on this than me :D - thanks in advance

My concern with this is that they may not be designed as a reversable motor, and I will look into that with the reseller... However, even if they are reverseable, how would you deal with possible slack that can occur when the motor changes direction..? Would Thanos' board take care of the braking action simply by reversing the voltages ?

I also have another possible solution..... I have access to several fully electric power steering columns from a few Mazda2s. They have a rather powerful 12v DC motor on them with a 60AMP fuse ( i suspect that would imply a fairly high power capability), though I guess the fuse is intended for safety as opposed to some sort of load limiter. The only issue with these is that they are quite long and heavy, and will require me to remove the tie rods from the end of the unit, and fit some sort of clevis mount with a bell crank mounted on a pivot point. That would be difficult to do, though not impossible... But they would be great for a 2DOF setup. I suspect it would require some welding to build a solid pivot point though and I'd rather not get into that right now.... I'll get some pictures and drawings as time permits...

The main reason I've looked at these powerful units is that as I gather parts for my motion pit, I suspect it will get fairly heavy. I hope to build a functioning viper pit.. :D
    Would be very interested to hear some feedback.
    Thanks
    T