1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3 Servo mini Sim Rig build

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by Chewwie2, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    To start I would like to say hello to everyone.
    I am moving towards a full scale build and have built a mini (semi to scale) simulator.
    The idea is to use 3 motors and a centralized telescoping post with a universal and locating dampers on the full scale unit. No monitors (Oculus) but want to be able to switch flight and race controls easily.
    I am unable to drop a pile of money on this. I do want to do this as good as I can, within what all of us here on this site consider a "Reasonable" amount. Which may be questionable. None the less off we go!!
    Ok the be clear I have no experience in software nor code. I have limited electronic knowledge.
    What I do have is some drafting and building skills. along with a serious desire to get this project to the finish.
    Ok enough babble.
    I have some pics here of my comp and current static rig (had to include for humor)also of mini the build for your consideration and advice.
    Ok. Made it this far...
    I got it moving quickly with an old Helicopter Radio system and was getting good articulation. So I moved on to Arduino and botched up the code provided in downloads. Thank you ve
  2. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  3. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  4. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  5. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  6. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  7. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  8. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  9. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  10. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    20180216_210104.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    This is what my device manager shows. If anyone has a good idea on how to clear this up it would be great.
    Thanks again, Chewwie2 20180310_121514.jpg
  12. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    20180310_121411.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  13. CNCfan

CNCfan New Member

Balance:
    206Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Chewwie2

I like your idea and was wondering how you are doing with it. Quit good modeling skills.
    I have just started thinking of building a sim and trying to decide on which way to go. One way is doing what you are doing except I was thinking of putting one servo/dc motor/stepper on the front and two on the back. My other idea
    is to more or less follow the "LifeBeam Flight Simulator" idea with a few changes.

At this stage I am not even sure what I will be making the frame out of. The options I am considering right now depending on the rig is PVC/80-20/steel. PVC and 80/20 I have plenty of experience with. Steel not so much even though I have
    a Lincoln mig welder I have never used.

Like I said before I started rumbling, I like your idea and the way you are approaching it, please let us know how things are going.
  14. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  15. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hello. I have been busy on cad design. Then work happened a bit. I have ordered and received brushless 3600 rpm motors fitted with 100:1 planetary gearboxes. These are from China and cost about $350 usd/unit with drivers. Engineer there tells me can run on 20 amp 120 vac. We will soon see. I have decided to get a 3d printer to prototype my small parts and gear/positioning pot. I am not an electronic guy. Geez I am gonna need help. lol . these motors will be as power ful as my truck I guess if all is cool with power supply. I will add pics and a full description of the parts. but I believe 150 NM per @110vac. Please let me know if any insight with this type of motor.
    Many thanks to the staff and pats of Xsim. Chewwie2
  16. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,238 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    looking forward to following your progress keep us posted
  17. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Here are the parts that I have come up with so far. any body have any ideas about how to use these ones for my simulator. once I have these tested and working properly. I have included the pic that the manufacturer sent for a wiring diagram. I would be grateful for any help that you guys could have for me. Also what kind and resolution for a positioning feedback potentiometer would you recommend?
    Thanks for the help and support guys,
    Chewwie2.

Attached Files:

18. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Also here is a pla printed main timing gear and motor arm. I am still unsure about what the final material of the arms will be. Any suggestions are welcome. I plan to use petg for the timing gear set. I just printed these for proof that my sla files are good.
    Thanks again peoples.
    Chewwie2

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Allot of stress on those components - use thick machined/cut steel, or thicker aluminium. Try to keep away from gear driven feedback pots, as there is always some slack in the gears - direct drive off the output shaft is best. Plenty of examples on this site. Just for interest, why did you go with that motor/gearbox/driver setup?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Chewwie2

Chewwie2 Race Enthusiast

Tile Installer
    Balance:
    201Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the interest Seat Time.
    I decided to go with these motors for a couple of reasons really. one , and the main reason is getting high amperage power supplies that run on 120vac are very expensive to get here. second, After the price started getting up there I wanted to get something that would be powerful enough to use along with 3 more for a much larger future 6 motor set up. Thank you for the advice about using a direct drive pot. I was hoping to use the gear set as the limit stops at the same time, your suggestion would allow me more freedom on the width of the arms. I am still working in CAD on the chassis design, I have flip flopped several concepts so far.... Can only see more changes to come. I am compelled to get it somewhat right.

Thanks again, Chewwie2