1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3 phase Ac motors Pyramid simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by speedy, Sep 26, 2013.

1. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,917Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Good day every one ...
    I'm from Alexandria/Egypt ... I here present a 4DOF simulator running the LFS game ... 3 channels of them is for motion actuators [right, left, and back ] .. and the 4th channel is for the air speed blower motor for overall actual speed sensing while driving ...

Enjoy the video ... Sorry ... the air blower is still not ready here .

On Early point ... I've searched for a complete simulator system that can be DIY and found that this xsimulator.net forum contain the most wanted information ever needed ...
    Basically every one will encounter some problems in his way to build his own simulator that needs to be solved ... And the AMC 1.5 and 1.6 controller have some problem with me [It is not that kind of DIY universal technology for every one wherever he is ...]
    1. since that I don't have ATMEGA644 in Egypt local market "I don't know why ?" ...
    2. the most recent computers have only one 9pin serial port to connect one AMC board , if any are found ...
    3. the Arduino board is expensive and very complicated "for me I guess " ...
    4. the spark-fun USB-to-UART module is related to the ATEMA644 in the AMC1.6 board project only ...
    And as many others may share this case with me ... Mr./Prilad managed to make the Revolution FW and SW for the ATMEGA8535 to communicate with the USB port as most new PC's preferred built in communication port ... a point that Thanos couldn't give a hand through it with all my respect to only his valuable projects ...
    For the controller board here I used the ATMEGA8535 micro controller ... With a USB connection to thecomputer's USB port as many controller boards are today [and here I've got a big FW programming help into this] ... For a 4 DOF simulator I used 2 controller cards with 2 controlling channels for each one of them ... placing each card [as housing case ] inside a computer Old CD-ROM drives covers with the LCD stuck in its plastic front face ... and used the back side of the housing case for various connections ... I'm using ATMEGA8535 IC with an external 22Mhz crystal and running with that Russian multifunction FW . Also an excellent peace of work of my big hero [​IMG] @prilad and @CraCk ... I like multifunction in every thing .

to be continued ...
    coming soon the cook-bit with doors and windows and some Illusion design in exterior and interior of the car .
    • Like Like x 8
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Well done Speedy , Im glad you found the site again, all the worries are gone and Sim Tools is so easy to use and adapt. A real pleasure to use. More details on ya build is welcome, mmm a new controller that is more DIY , please post the details for other who may want to build a controller of such.
    And welcome back to the most friendly sim site in the world, yes we are trying our hardest to make everyone fell welcome and wanted.
    BTW I do like the ride.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Waouh! That's impressive! :cool:
    I'm really curious: I would like pictures to have time to look at the details!
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  5. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,917Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks " eaorobbie, RacingMat, bsft "... Yes many authorities are too considers me WELCOMED and WANTED at the same time, right now o_O ... and I didn't found the site "again" ... I found it "Fantastic" ... :cool: good job every one :thumbs
    Sorry for not contributing here or any where else for few months ... Actually every thing in Egypt was going to a dangerous down curve, even my core electronics business ... damn on politics [every one want's to be the president ] ... Then, Who will make us bread on the morning ? ...:p
    Don't worry guys ... Egypt survived calamities worse than that ...:p
    And the cause that I'm here now is that I have a broken leg " just a crack " :confused: ... lead me back to the computer again ...
    So, I discovered that I was out for a long time ... and you did a very good fresh new look to the site :thumbs... Which I like it the most but I missed it's lunch ... Sorry:oops: ...
    And the big surprise is the SimTools program:thumbs ... which I'm reading it's documents now ... :cheers .... coffee please .

Since that you say " more DIY " ... I guess for good details this simulator project should be spread into three threads if you like :):
    - One is here which I'll prepare a set of pictures if you prefer " RacingMat " than video for each section of the simulator : metal base, motors ,frame bearings ... etc.
    - The second thread is for the DIY controller and linked to Prilade's thread for the F/W .
    - The third one is with steps of the Fiber glass building of the cockpit in case some one wants to go inside some thing to drive ... or some decoration such as speakers housing, dash board, roof, doors, center console, ... etc.

starting with the second thread of the DIY controller which I'll post in the X-Simulator Compatible Hardware section ... I'll put the link here ASAP .
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    as Rob says, no worries, we are happy to see you. A lot of changes have happened here and for the better as other forum users are finding out.
    We look forward to the extra stuff you can add as this is what THIS forum is about, open minds and assistance to boot.
    Cheers and Go hard.
    Dave.
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    We all know too well the issues the other card has and am very intreged to see yours, I too have tested Mr Prilads wonderful firmware and would like to see it run on something else than a Ard, or is your driver basically just a barebone Ard. Which I have built in the past, basically starting with the Ard to demo an idea then made a standalone driver board with all electronics in built. Basically what the first early amc was.
  8. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,917Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks @bsft ... BTW I like your Avatar since you used it but I didn't have a chance to mention .
    No, @eaorobbie Sir ... I'm not using any Arduino tech. :cool:
    Actually I wanted to build that amazing 401 simulator ..." Yes You Can " :thumbs
    Based on the Revolution firmware and software by @prilad team work​
    http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/revolution-firmware-and-software-for-amc1-5-1-6.3912/

Using the stander design for the AMEGA8535 as a micro-controller and the Cheap, Simple and easy to build circuit ... but uses the serial 9 pin connector to the computer ...​
    So, I had a problem that I guess limited many others for there simulators to a 2DOF only ... That is many PC's now today rarely have a 9 pin serial port with a lot of USB ports ... and I needed 2 serial 9 pin ports to make 2 controllers :( .
    I didn't find the FTDI USB to serial converter that is used in the forums as suggested to connect more than one controller ... and found the blue converter " Prolific Technology" which is helpless :(.
    I didn't find the ATMEGA644 ... and found the Spark fun USB-UART module is so expensive .:(
    but found a blank FTDI232RL IC very cheap ...
    FT232RL_R.jpg
    MMMM :think... So, decided to make my own USB-UART module and try it with the ATMEGA8535 with Prilad FW .
    Sparkfun FTDI USB to serial UART DIY board
    http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/sparkfun-ftdi-usb-to-serial-uart-diy-board.4789/
    FTDI FT232RL Breakout C2 board.JPG FTDI FT232RL Breakout C1 board.JPG

Nothing is impossible ... :grin
    It is a pin compatible like the original Sparkfun and can be used as a direct replacement in any similar uses ...
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  9. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,917Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi every one ...
    really sorry for not documenting all frame cutting and welding steps ...
    I took these photos and the video of lubricating the actuators ...
    and a freehand sketch of what it is going to look like soon ...

2013-07-07 16.06.11.jpg 11.jpg 2013-07-07 16.10.43.jpg 2013-07-08 16.07.05.jpg 2013-07-08 16.07.48.jpg 2013-07-08 16.08.50.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no worries man, well done, great job there
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,917Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks @bsft ...
    this video is for making the computer console !!! I guess this video should be here ...:thumbs

It's basically made of 2x2cm metal chases ...
    some wood frames ...
    a 3mm wire for shaping the main shape under a stretchy cloths which will cover it all [ look again the second 00:40 in video ] you'll get the idea ... use stables and hot glue gun .
    then proceed to fiber glass coating and enforcements ...
    then you may use the resin + a lot of talcum powder [ mix well ] as a past for filling out cracks and leveling sides [ you may use the paint past as well ] ...
    sanding it to the desired finish then spray some filler to the surface to even every thing back together ...
    "I didn't do this step yet" => use whatever coating and colors [ big Stickers are recommended ] ...

I can't wait taking it to the next level [ SimTools installation ]:thumbs ...
    just when I'm able to walk [ like Egyptian] normally again :confused: ... still under reconstruction :grin ...
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  12. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Looking good man. Keep up the big effort.
    Is that fibre glass your using on the cabinet ?
  13. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,917Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes ... a fiberglass mat 450gm/m2 ... two coats .
    that is near 900gm per meter square ... plus about 100gm per meter square resin for the two coats ...
  14. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks, I want to build a Dashboard fascia to go on my sim to complete my dashboard project. Will follow another method posted onsite to make a mould from foam then build the fibreglass over that.

But I do like the wire frame idea , might have to try that too for the outside shell. Thanks.
  15. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,917Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes it's a great Dashboard I saw earlier ...

But foam is too messy ... and if not well isolated from the resin coating "it will melt and dissolve " ... and that isolation if thick will destroy your shape details ...
    if you can make shapes ... use recycled paper and white glue to build your shape instead of carving into foam .
  16. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,398Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    @abdo_tahan totally agree hence dreading doing the outside shell with it, Dash bit only a small bit and already have the rough cut, plus daughter will join in and paper mache the outside of it with me. and I plan to bog finish that so it can be used as a plug to build a mould from, so i can reproduce for mates.
    The other method yes could work well too. Already started the dash so I will finish that. And move on trying the suggested methods, Thanks.
    Quick question , proberly a dumb on , is it running SimTools yet ?
    I wanna see this puppy rock in game. Keep us informed please.
  17. prilad

prilad Well-Known Member SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer

Balance:
    9,614Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    Hi, Speedy, Glad to see you )) And your WORKING sim !!!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,917Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi prilad ... glad 2 C u 2 my big friend :)
  19. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,917Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    hi every one ...
    I have a very impotent note here I want to share .

I guess I'm imagining me making something like this with wire mesh screens ...
    autoshow20-thumb-500x375-268587 (1).jpg

the smaller the details is needed you should use small mesh and softer ... and for bigger and large arias coverage we use harder and bigger mesh ...

after all is done ... we cover it all with clothes and fiberglass both sides of the mesh ...
    :think:think .....:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  20. prilad

prilad Well-Known Member SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer

Balance:
    9,614Coins
    Ratings:
    +512 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    This is a framework for the bulk flowerbeds (topiary)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topiary.
    Consists of a wire frame will fit a plastic mesh. Filled with earth, is set in the garden.
    • Like Like x 1