1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3-DOF SFGT style simulator

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by whaleman, Nov 22, 2010.

1. whaleman

whaleman Member

Balance:
    7Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello all fellow simulator builders! :hi:
    After reading a lot about your simulator projects, I decided it’s time to introduce my sim project. A huge thanks for all of you, who have made this forum possible and all you guys sharing your knowledge with others. Before discovering the X-sim, I couldn’t have imagined that it’s possible to do-it-yourself something so cool as you guys have done.

I started my project in the beginning of 2010 and aimed to get the whole thing moving in the end of the year. I know, not too thight schedule. After thinking between SFGT and Joyrider style simulators, I decided to make a wiper motor powered SFGT with moving pedals and wheel. 3rd DOF is rotation around Z-axis, which is made with a basic armchair’s bearing unit. While the bearing is under the seat, it doesn’t require too much strenght to rotate the sim.

After reading Thanos’ AMC thread a few minutes (hours, days, weeks, don't remember anymore :) ) I decided to take that route with electronics: AMC1.5 and DHSmb 1.2b. 3rd axis will require additional AMC/DHSmb, but they will be done once the first set is complete and tested.

100_0830.JPG
    In the first pic there are shown the major mechanic parts to assemble the sim: some painted steel pipes, three wiper motors, bucket seat and a cheap racing wheel, that’s almost all you need ;D . Pictures 2 and 3 shows the parts assembled.

100_0920_50.JPG
    100_0922_50.JPG
    Pic 4 shows a U-joint under the seat. Adjusting center of gravity is possible due to bolts’ grooves.

100_0947_60.JPG
    Pic 5 demonstrates how the motion of third axis is carried out. Red blurr on top of the motor is a sprocket for potentiometer, which isn’t currently there. Since rotation will be quite small, simple push/pull rod will do the job.

100_0945_s60.JPG
    6-point harness’s shoulder belts are connected with a spring to the middle frame, so during braking the belts will get thighter. We’ll see how it works while driving.

100_0938_s60.JPG
    Since Logitech DFGT pedals lacks the clutch, I made more robust diy-pedals. More pictures and details in Bernhard’s thread concerning DFGT pedals: driving-force-gt-potentiometer-output-values-t2674.html

100_0926_60.JPG
    My aim was to do a budget simulator, but when calculating all the costs, it turns out to be a lots of money! Here is a summary of them so far:
    DFGT wheel and pedals (2nd hand) 45€
    bucket seat (2nd hand )100€
    6-point harness (2nd hand) 40€
    steel pipes ~35€
    4 lockable wheels 24€
    6 uniball joints 30€
    AVR components 70€
    DHSmb components 50€
    PCB materials, pots, etc ~10€
    3 wiper motors 32,5€
    Battery and U-joint are freebies from my garage.

Total 436,5€

AMC 1.5 is now complete and so far is functioning like expected. It was quite a joy to get all the communication with computer and LCD working! Besides that, I have had some troubles with DSMhb, as it is currently blowing fuses when connected to a 12V battery. Maybe there’s just a short circuit somewhere. I’ll get back to it once it’s working properly. By the way, is it possible that a broken mosfet could make a short circuit?

Anyway, comments, suggestions, questions are always welcome!

-Esa
  2. fermevc

fermevc Member

Networking and telecomunication
    Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    It looks very compact and light :)
    I think you should make a stand more robust (the cross bars with wheels). Maybe I'm not seeing it right, but I think the bars are a little bit bended, or you could just add one more wheel at the center.
    Keep up the good work!
  3. whaleman

whaleman Member

Balance:
    7Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have tried to keep especially the upper frame as light as possible. The upper frame itself weighs about 9kg. However I'm a bit concerned how the wiper motors will handle all the weight including those steel pedals, which aren't the most lightest ones. Lower frame's cross tubes are quite sturdy, they are 25x25x1,5mm in dimensions. Other square tubes are 20x20x1,5 and some 15x15x1,5mm.
  4. Deleted member 4120

Deleted member 4120

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    very nice work!!!! :thbup: :clap:
  5. menfounsx

menfounsx New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very good idea.
  6. Asus-G51JX-3D

Asus-G51JX-3D Member

Balance:
    - 69Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 4DOF
    Woow nice 8)
  7. smarterhometheater

smarterhometheater New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Very nice build! I'm designing my first sim, and I want it to be a 3dof sim. I get so wrapped up in all the posts here, I just need some simple plans! Heck I don't even need plans, I just need a ton of HQ pics so I have a basis to go off of! Can you provide a tone more pics of this build?
    Thanks!
  8. whaleman

whaleman Member

Balance:
    7Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'll take some photos this week once I have more time to do that. I can also provide you basic drawings of the main components including dimensions, if you like?
  9. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice pedal you have
  10. smarterhometheater

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That would be awesome! Thank you!
  11. mista

mista New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @whaleman:

Congratz!!!

I would like to watch the sim in action. Could you upload a Clip in Youtube?
  12. whaleman

whaleman Member

Balance:
    7Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys for your comments!

That would be quite boring video as sim isn't yet moving :D Once it's moving I'll lend my friend's camera and put a youtube clip.

Okay, here are some pictures as promised. I'm not sure about HQ, as my camera is old and a very cheap one.

100_0964.JPG
    100_0967.JPG
    100_0972.JPG
    100_0974.JPG
    100_0976.JPG
    100_0958.JPG

And there are a few pdf-drawings in the zip-file. I tried to put as few dimensions as possible, as every driver has own preferences about where steerin wheel/pedals should be and of course different (size) components require different dimensions. Anyway these drawings gives you the basic idea how I constructed the mechanics.
    pdf files.zip

Little update also with electronics, I decided to put DShmb aside for a while and ordered Pololu VNH2SP3 motor controllers. Later on (fixed) DHsmb can be used for yaw axis and maybe the second output for something additional feature. Now to sleep, very tired!

Attached Files:

13. mista

mista New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Iam very intressted to see your sim in action. Because I would like to build one too with wiper motors. And the 3rd Dimenson for the yaw is very cool.
    Sorry for my english.
  14. smarterhometheater

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Awesome! Thanks! My mind is buzzing with ideas! I have to harness them and get rolling!
  15. teuh

teuh New Member

Fire-alarm and Security-alarm Journeyman
    Balance:
    461Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very good job !!!! :cheers:
    Did you do the welding ? That look like a pro job !!!! :clap:

Do you know what is the model of your wiper motor ?
  16. whaleman

whaleman Member

Balance:
    7Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Glad to hear that! I did also like sim design phase, as you can watch how other people have done their sims and then combine already used ideas as you like and maybe add some new solutions. It's very inspirational!

Thanks Teuh! I've done the weldings, but can't say the same thing about them :) I just hope they don't break under heavy racing ;)
    Wipermotors are from Citroen Xantia, two are labeled as Valeo 53545802. Third is a bit different in looks and doesn't have a sticker to be recognised.
  17. fredspeed

fredspeed New Member

Balance:
    417Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried to move your rig with the motors connected directly to battery or power-supply, too se how it moves?

Fred
  18. teuh

teuh New Member

Fire-alarm and Security-alarm Journeyman
    Balance:
    461Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thx for the answer.

The wiper motors are the same model as mount in Peugeot 306; Valeo 250MFD.
  19. whaleman

whaleman Member

Balance:
    7Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have done that sort of tests with one motor and other motor fixed. The motor could spin with the driver, but struggled from the lowest point to get moving again. That was the time I started to think are the motors enough for this sim. Of course SATO's and ua6aak's sims proves that wipermotors are strong enough (at least in their sims :D )
  20. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nice built...what hbridge do you use?