1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

3 DOF Scrapheap challenge Build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by TheLaughingCow, Feb 16, 2022.

1. TheLaughingCow

TheLaughingCow New Member

Balance:
    - 8Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    New build thread Here in sunny UK

I have some spare time at work, I also have access to plenty of redundant machinery and happen to work in the electronics dept in a large manufacturing facility. I believe this could be the perfect background for building motion simulators! After 1000's of sketches and a whole bottle of rum, i settled on the final design of building a budget 3 dof motion platform using repurposed machinery. I am using this as an exercise to learn arduino code, as this is something i have never worked with previously. Obviously there is a lot of coding available on the forum from many members of the comunity, but part of my challenge is to code the interface myself. I've just downloaded simtools, im hoping that i can use the demo functions to send serial data, so i can test/ write arduino code to receive the telemetry signals... thats my job for today!

So Far I've been collecting parts for the last few months, I have already assembled most of the mechanical drive train for the first two axis' ..

On the electronics side of things..... I am using 24v gel batteries as an acumulator linked to the Original battery charger, giving me a high current stable supply, i currently have An arduino Nano as the interface, this has 3 x IBT_2 H bridge motor drivers (claim to handle 28v and 43A) This powers three geared 24v Wheel chair motors (that i already have) a pair of dual 30v relay sheilds are also used to power the brake release circuitry and any other auxilary functions i choose to add.

i haven't seen a design quite like mine attempted.. mechanically it is directly driven, with rotary encoders (when they eventually turn up) on the end of the shafts and a feedback loop within an arduino, this should make the whole rig efficient and reliable, but will result in the need for some fairly hefty mounting points, currently im using aluminium extrusion for the first prototype, however i will probably fabricate and weld a steel box section version once all the glitches are ironed out!

Anyway... enough rambling, here is some early prototype pics of the first 2 axis (the long shaft is only there for alignment purposes. but shows where the second axis will be situated... motor will be mounted to the seat/top mechanism

Now for the best part! I'm going to build this for a total cost of £500, that is including a decent steering wheel and seat!

Total cost so far

Arduino £20
    IB_2 H Bridge x 3 £23
    dual 30v relay shield x 2 £11

Total £54

Attached Files:

• Creative Creative x 1