1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Question 3 actuators setup. Whats best: 2 front and one back or opposite?

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by leonard, Jan 18, 2020.

1. leonard

leonard New Member

Oil and gaz engineer
    Balance:
    232Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    Hello :)

I am thinking to get a 3 actuator system for my coming 3dof (pitch, rll and heave) no traction loss.

I am sure this has been discussed before, but all I found in the forums was that; putting two actuators in the back and one in front is better for weight distribution. I have to add that almost 90% of the systems I have seen with fully suspended rig (pitch roll &heave) use one in front and two in the back.
    Im between a set of 3 PT actuators or Dbox 3250i. the total weight that will need to be moved is 385 pounds (me and rig peripherals).
    In the event of hitting a curb with left tire:
    Having two actuators in front will lead to the left atuators lifting the weight up.
    Having two in the back will lead to the right actuator dropping.
    I think its easier to drop the weight than to lift, but are we perceiving these two motion cues in a different way as a passenger?
    am I missing something here?
    Cuz I feel its natural to have two in the front and one in the back but as mentioned above the actuators dont share that opinion with me because one setup (1 front 2 back) make their life easier.
    Plan as it is now is to use the 2 front 1 back config and mount the seat as much in front as possible and mount the front actuators as close to the back as possible.
    any input is more than welcome
  2. bob williams

bob williams OSW sfx100

IT
    Balance:
    87Coins
    Ratings:
    +43 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi I saw this setup (with scn6) but i was very impressed by the movement especially over humps.
    It has one at the back and two in the front. The seat is pretty far forward. Also it is only the seat moving, steering is fixed.
  3. csknzdmr

csknzdmr New Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    I want to make a 3dof with 3 actuators in the near future. Do you think the correct installation angle is 1 actuator on the front right and left and 1 actuator on the back by forming a "triangle".. I am also curious about the answer to this question. What is the most accurate installation angle in a system with 3 actuators.

thank you

4. Blanes

Blanes Member

Balance:
    1,137Coins
    Ratings:
    +28 / 3 / -0
    I can tell you that nearly 3 years ago I built a 3 x PT- Actuator system with 2 Front plus 1 Rear, on a Trak Racer TR160 frame. It is fantastic for sim racing and I never had it roll over, topple or breakdown.

I searched all over for information about positioning of the actuators and the movement definitely feels much better with 2 at front plus one rear, I tried both ways. And 3 actuators feel much more responsive and natural than 4 (one each corner) which is what mist people build. So less is actually more !

I have the front 2 fixed in line with where my Simucube DD wheel is mounted and my seat is forward of the rear actuator so the balance is real good and I am no lightweight at over 100kg's. I chose the TR160 as it has good length to get the centre of gravity roughly in centre of the Actuator triangle. The Monster PT-Actuators I bought are very strong, have good range of 150mm and are fast.
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  5. csknzdmr

csknzdmr New Member

Balance:
    24Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    Hi

I have been using my dbox gen1 system for 3 months without any problems after positioning it as you said so far. But I am curious about the comments of people who have tested or used both 3 actuators and 4 actuators. Are there serious differences between 3 actuators and 4 actuators?