1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2DOF setup options from scratch

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by bajandrifter, Feb 20, 2014.

1. bajandrifter

bajandrifter New Member

Balance:
    362Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello to all, ok well just so you guys know i am the true meaning of novice to this so here goes. I am looking to build a simulator similar to that of frex's 2DOF setup. Now here's what i am looking to find out.

. options for such a build as i am not looking to buy actuators from frex
    . so a step by step tutorial or detailed intructions
    . options for the actuators as i kinda hate the sound of the wiper motors
    . and basically any info i would need to go foward with such a project

OHH and price is an issue so no over the top expensive mods but more like good quality cost effective solutions. And well i guess you can recommend the costly ones so i can compare quality

BTW can you guys recommend some platforms or drawings for a rig setup that can also use

Thanks a million,
    Bajan Drifter
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    I dont like wipers myself they can be a bugger to isolate the ground from and the internal gearing is very weak.
    A few of use use this, http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-drive-motor-12v-24v-200w-180-rpm-20nm-torque.html

And drive them with this, http://www.pololu.com/product/1393

End result running both of the above.

Plans are avail for this simple setup, For example.
    Cross Section of Seat Mover.png
    This is about 800-900 Aus dollars to buy everything including the simple PVC frame to hold the screen, pedals and wheel, 2x motors and 2x controller and DC power supply to be up and running in no time at all.

This will produce about the same in some cases even faster reaction times than most actuators can move at too. The electronics are very simple only 7 wires to connect, no programming needed or special converters either. Setting up the Jrks with their own software is fairly easy as a few of us have them and can share settings among us.

Good Luck in your build, I hope you have fun, I know we all do.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    agreed with Rob, I had a seat mover similar to his before I had to sell it.
    Cheap to build and very reliable and strong.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bajandrifter

bajandrifter New Member

Balance:
    362Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok so after some thinking ive decided to use a linear actuator. Which one do u guys recommend and what software do i use to run these actuators.
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The common thing for seat mover use is SCN5 at 30 deg angle back and out to the side from the shoulder mounts. Simtools runs it of course.
    The angle that rob sets his motors at is the same for SCN5
    You can buy SCN5 actuators from various places, I think there is a link here somewhere on site, ask @yobuddy and @RaceRay about that.
    Failing that there are outside sources to buy SCN5 kits, I have seen them at about $1300 for a pair of actuators, power supply, wiring.
    Its interesting that you talk about cost, a pair of motors, pots, jrks, etc works out about $500 ish and these are stronger, faster and quieter than actuators.
    I have had a bloke of 130 kg on my former dc seat mover and the motors were at 15 deg angle, not 30 deg, so they were under a greater load. They moved him without a problem. SCN5 would more than likely break.

I do use an actuator currently, but they were given to me and are industrial strength and hideously expensive to buy.
    I am going to build DIY actuators based on Ian at BFF design soon, once I fix everyone elses breakages. Hopefully get them running within a month. They work out to be about $400 each in parts plus control board. They will be stronger than the SCN5 and 6 , they should move at 300-400mm per second loaded with 200mm throw at nearly 40 kg each.
    But sit tight, they are not getting done until I get a chance to start them, as said, about a month.
  6. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    47,906Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,027 / 16 / -0
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  8. shanothegreat

shanothegreat Member Gold Contributor

Technician
    Balance:
    496Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT
    Cost is relative to the amount of work you can or want to do yourself.

Since starting my sim I had always planned to upgrade to linear actuators from the wiper motors I started out with, I suppose if anything they look more commercial/professional if that's the look you are after, and to be honest I still struggle to get my head around the output of the JRK's for their size.

However for the sheer results from the speed of the wiper motors and the tuning you can't beat the performance of a DC worm drive motor coupled with a JRK.

For a beginner it is the best place to start, some of the positives being, no programming skills or code required, limited wiring skills, and for the most part all of the mechanical parts are exposed and maintenance is easy to undertake.

I think I can safely say that everyone that has built a sim rig from this site have plans to build a second or third, and if I'm not wrong I think I saw that bsft is onto number 13.

My advice would be to crawl before you walk and take heed of those that have gone before. I was a member of this forum for two years before I built my first rig and still went the path of the JRK's. Wiper motors too noisy? must be the motor you have seen or used, like eaorobbie I cannot hear mine at all. Although if you change the PWM to 5 KHz instead of 20 KHz you can hear a noticeable hum.
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Number 14 I think with desk racer.
    Stay with 20 khz as yes, the motors whine at 5khz.
    All hail the JRK! And big worm gear motors!
    @shanothegreat , do you have a thread for your build somewhere?
  10. shanothegreat

shanothegreat Member Gold Contributor

Technician
    Balance:
    496Coins
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT
    Unfortunately not at the moment, I do intend to shortly however kids, wife and life get in the way. I might add that any issues that I've had with the JRK's are purely my own doing, can't fault the product at all.

The only thing that might be worth mentioning is mounting them. As they are so small they first have to be mounted to some sort of non conducting surface and then fixed to a housing, then heatsink and cooling.

My biggest problem is that I'm shocking at taking pictures of the progress and then find that the build log is a "hey presto" and its done.

I've followed most of your posts with interest and took on the challenge of PID development with wiper motors. The ones I'm using are truck ones from Kenworth with a 25:1 ratio (what do you do when you pull them completely apart, count the revolutions). I have some crazy settings and boy do they move. The 3" racing harness was put on there for immersion, now you need it to stay in the chair.

I can see from your posts the evolution of your builds, they seem to take a logical path, ie seat mover frex style, to motion platform front and rear mount motors etc. I'm hoping to get to a compact 6dof similar to that built by Full Motion Dynamics, they key is weight reduction, fortunately I can tig weld aluminium and have extensive carbon fibre expertise.

Shane
    • Like Like x 1
  11. davepeebs

davepeebs New Member

G.M
    Balance:
    619Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    With aluminium welding and carbon fibre experience you should be able to knock out one heck of a sim.
  12. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I'm in the same situation as yourself. I've made the decision to go with JRKs and DC worm geared motors. In my opinion I just can't justify the cost of a good set of actuators. All the worm gear motor and JRK sims I've seen have been fantastic.
    • Informative Informative x 1