1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2DOF $2k Im 160lbs. Large room. Easier is Better.

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by audiojester, Oct 20, 2009.

1. audiojester

audiojester New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ive done quite a bit of reading and feel I have barely scratched the surface of this site. :( Ive looked at a lot of youtube videos also and pretty much know exactly what I want.
    This is how I want to go: I can spend ~$2k. I weigh 160lbs. I have no space restrictions (I will cut holes in the ceiling and walls.. I dont care). DIRT and GRID are the games this is going to be for mostly. 2DOF (w/ 150mm actuators) is all I need for now. And I am going for a full cockpit experience vs. just a moving chair. I ordered the MOMO Wheel today on ebay and I am serious about getting this going. I will pay money to anyone in the central WI area for help. I would prefer to use actuators vs motors since they are easier but I am not sure if they can provide enough oomff to realisticly move my whole body including 24monitor momo wheel/pedals and a cheap racing seat off ebay. I also wish to avoid welding and focus more on some type of erector (lol ?) lookin/PVC set up with nuts n bolts. IT WOULD BE AMAZING if someone out there knows of a link or can post a complete parts/price list and a how-to manual instead of telling me to keep reading and educating myself. BECAUSE I AM ALREADY DOING THAT.. I just would like a nice line of simple instructions to base everything I do off of. I want my sim to be unique so I dont actually plan on copying anything I just wish some form of COMPLETE direction existed.. I know a million other people want it too... maybe I just havent found it yet...?
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
  3. audiojester

audiojester New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok well, so far I have all the metal brackets, 2x3s, 2x2s and plywood I need for the frame n stuff which was around $80 from Lowes. I also bought a cheap racing seat and mounting stuff from Autozone. For around $140 which is not bad at all for what it is when compared to the ones on eBay.

Now I am curious about electronics to purchase now to go with the two SCN5 150mm actuators I will be getting from the above posters website. Which I still havent asked for a quote from yet. But I suspect with shipping will be around $1100 ish maybe more. Then I need the rest. Which is the pivot (whats the best for this w/no welding or metal cutting?), and the whatever electronics I need... which I am still trying to figure out.

I am also still not sure if I want to go the playseat route or just the moving chair... The above poster claims it is more realistic in emails but I am not sure.. I think the pedals and the wheel should move with the seat... i dont know if the monitor should or not but I wouldnt require it to at first just to see how it is.
  4. audiojester

audiojester New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just bought a Mean Well S-150-24 6.5A DC Switching PLC Power Supply it says single output. AWWW CRAP! Does that mean I gotta get one per actuator?
  5. audiojester

audiojester New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just got USB 2 RS485 modules on ebay for $30
  6. audiojester

audiojester New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bidding on a shaker for the chair... im the high bidder with 60 bucks and 20 for shipping. Its 50watts RMS @ 4 ohms.. I will find a cheap single channel amp on ebay that supports 4 Ohms soon.
  7. audiojester

audiojester New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    almost done with the frame now... Guess this is a dead forum. or no one cares?.. oh well I will continue to post my update. And when I am done I will break down my costs and possibly make a detailed how-to since many ask for these.

Attached Files:

8. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  9. audiojester

audiojester New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont like that one... not responsive enough.
  10. audiojester

audiojester New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I forgot to mention that I am going with the only chair movement route. The whole cockpit moving wouldnt be responsive enough with just 2 CSN5's.
  11. Mambo

Mambo New Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  12. sn4il

sn4il New Member

Balance:
    2Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Did You think about forces that You or other drivers (especially 1st timers) will create by pressing pedals and holding steering wheel tight? I dont know if some1 tested it, but I would not be suprised if the whole moving cockpit would be close or even better that just a chair. Maybe I'm wrong. I will find out soon. :D
  13. ledfoot

ledfoot Member

IT Manager
    Balance:
    21Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    With the right profile setup and chair/pedal adjustment, the chair only setup provide very realistic simulation.

Do you have any aupdates on your progress Audiojester?
  14. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    My research shows your conclusion to be accurate. The most realistic simulation (when using SCN5's) is achieved by moving only the seat. There is a lengthy theory behind why, but I will offer you one simple consideration.

-When moving only the seat, under braking and acceleration, the SCN5's can create similiar pressures in your hand, wrist and forearm as would exist in a normal race car.

Contrast the above with a design that moves the wheel and pedals and you find that you need an actuator that is far more powerful and and expensive than an SCN5 to create these same forces. In fact, the actuators would have to be powerful enough to re-create the G-Forces of an actual vehicle before they could create these same pressures.

There is far more to consider, but the above point is one of the easier to envision.
  15. audiojester

audiojester New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I havent made too much progress. Just connected power and adapters to the actuators. However I am still making sure everything is right before I just turn it on and possibly waste 1000 in electronics!