1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

24v 120w dc motor estimated peak current

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by wimpo`, Aug 3, 2010.

1. wimpo`

wimpo` Member

metselaar
    Balance:
    178Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hello I have a question about these 2 motors.
    [​IMG]
    They are from an electric wheelchair.
    It says on the label that it will draw 9 amps, but what would be the estimated current when reversed.
    and would these be good enough for a 2dof platform.

thanks in advance.
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If your question is: would these be good enough for a 2dof platform?

The answer is: depends.
  3. wimpo`

wimpo` Member

metselaar
    Balance:
    178Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    no the question was meant to determine the estimated amps these motors will draw in a 2dof simulator.
    the reason is that my power supply is 24v 25a.

about being used for a 2dof well a joyrider simulator will be easy because of the fact these motors are a lot stronger than wiper motors.
    frex style is not really my interest.
    or platform
    [​IMG]
    which i think are a bit to much for these motors, that's why I am asking.
    sorry for the clarity of my message.
  4. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The easiest way to figure out the stall current is to measure the resistance between the (+) and (-) wires of the motor.
    You should measure a low resistance. Ohms law: Current = Voltage / Resistance.
    If you measure 10 ohms and you use 24V, your current will be 2.4A for each motor.

A rough estimate from the specs 24V/120W, the current is 120/24 = 5A, but who knows how they determined the 120W power.

Don't forget, this is only for STALL current. If the motor is rotating one way, then suddenly reversed, the current spike could be much higher than the stall current depending on the speed and load on the motor. A properly designed DC motor driver can eliminate reverse current spikes by braking the motor before reversing it.
  5. wimpo`

wimpo` Member

metselaar
    Balance:
    178Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    yeah one of the motors still has his electric brake(the one on the left).
    if you put 24 volts on the two black wires the brake is of when voltage is <24v the brake is on.
    but it seems that the other brake is missing so that isn't an option any more.
    and about braking the motor that's done by putting 24v on - and + ?
  6. akina

akina New Member

Balance:
    1Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  7. wimpo`

wimpo` Member

metselaar
    Balance:
    178Coins
    Ratings: