1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2 DOF wiper motor sim by whopacha

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by whopacha, Jul 5, 2010.

1. whopacha

whopacha New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone, Ive been looking through these forums for awhile and decided to build one of these sims. for racing in particular, but also maybe flight later on.

I have decided that i would first build the electronic side of it first, then if all was successful, go onto actual construction.
    Iam at the point now where i can power on my circuit for the first time and begin programming/testing.

having powered it on... the green power LED is flashing.... as opposed to constantly on, as ive seen in videos. as much as ive searched, i cant find any info on why this is. does this mean i have a problem?

i successfully wrote to the ATMEGA8535 and have programmed it with the 22mhz firmware.

also my contrast on the lcd is too dark... i'am guessing i just have to change that resistor value on the lcd board correct?
    i will try put a trim pot there for contrast when iam at work tomorrow anyway.
    i will do my best to search for the answers i need, but i am hoping that i can rely on the community to help me out here. :)

i'am yet to attach feedback pots for test, (will try tomorrow) and dont have any motors yet.
    tried to do a quick test on the H bridge board also, not sure if i was testing correctly, got the green leds to light up, but swapping the +5V did not light up the red leds.

i hope to get this all working, in good time and can post pics or vid up if you would all like a look.

hope somebody can answer why my power led is flashing :S
  2. whopacha

whopacha New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    fixed the contrast on the lcd by putting a trim pot on pin 3. feedback position pots seem to work ok also.

green power led is flashing still though... dont understand the cause at all. are there any status or error codes that it may be trying to tell me?

and on testing the H-bridge circuit, (just with the led status) green led works.... and swapping +5V... red does not.???
  3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you got a blinking green led... :lol:

You can indetify if your green led is blinking from a black dot on the side of the led.

like these:
    http://www.elexp.com/opt_6bid.htm
  4. whopacha

whopacha New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OH MY GOD... hahahahah thank you.... (i didnt realise they even existed.) woops! ill change it for a normal led tomorrow.

(i was wondering what that little black bit was) haha.
  5. whopacha

whopacha New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    changed leds... all good now...

thought i had problems with the h bridge board... but it turns out i just had the motor1-2 > h bridge motor1-2 connector reversed... hope it didnt do any damage..... moving the feedback pots the status leds indicate correct operation.... woooooooooooo.

time to test some software... and get thinking about construction.

what would be the best simulator to construct.

I'm thinkin the joyrider one. anybody wanna suggest otherwise?
  6. whopacha

whopacha New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its been a looooooooooong time since ive had a look at this project.

i've since built a house and havent had much time for these kind of things.
    but tonight i thought i'd see if i could get it to talk to the xsim software.

this is the point where i gave up previously. the program was constantly crashing beforehand and i didnt get anywhere, tonight however, i downloaded and installed the newest software and it seems stable.... no crashing or errors like i was previously getting.

i still dont know how to get this thing working.... i dont want to go out and buy wiper motors etc unless i can get this part working first.

is there a tutorial showing how to set up the latest x-sim software to work with the avr 1.5 motion controller and the 1.2b h-bridge?
    all i can find is tutorials on how to build the hardware and program the atmega. i have completed this already.

all i want is some kind of indication that the software and hardware can communicate. i need to know how to set it up.... (what jumpers need to go where etc)

is there an easy to follow tutorial on this?

cheers.