1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

2 Dof Spitfire Cockpit

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by Tore E. Larsen, Aug 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tore E. Larsen

Tore E. Larsen New Member

Balance:
    75Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    This is my replica Spitfire VR cockpit with my son flying it. ( DCS ) 550 hours put in so far. Only one problem left....it does not fly!
    Thanks to this page I`m sure I can make it move in pitch and roll. Things are hooked up for it using fotbearings.
    I have read a lot about this so far and I realize it is a rather long learning curve involved. First step from me was to order some electronics ( Arduino, Monster shield ) and just learn and take it from there.
    The stuff are balanced and it takes around 5kg to 15kg of trust to move a person in it. The case here is not to move things like roller coaster, but to get response when you push the stick in some direction. Slow moving will do the trick as far as I can see it.

Tore
    spitface1.jpg
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Tore E. Larsen

Balance:
    75Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Some information here and pics regarding this sim. Maybe these can make a new builder get some ideas and make it even better.
    Those two actuators mounted are just two low cost bought on Ebay. ( With feedback )

The fun thing is that they seem to work just fine when i tested them manually. They are said to withstand 450 NM
    of trust and after testing this seems to be the case. ( the sim is balanced so not much force is needed actaully.)
    Under $ 100 for one :) For a car sim these actuators are too slow of course, but for a flight sim this is different story.
    Stroke is only 10 cm and maybe I will change to 15/20 cm i the future. The idea is to trick the brain and so far this looks good.
    Waiting now for arduino cards and 12v dc so I can go further into this.

Cockpit is a Spitfire Mark IX replica/mock up for VR ) built after drawings made by Paul Monforton. ( order online )
    Scale with DCS`s Spitfire in VR is outstanding. Closer to flying a Spifire without actally flying one is not
    possible to day. With moving this is really going to take off. :)

x1.jpg x2.jpg x4.jpg x5.jpg x6.jpg x7.jpg x8.jpg x9.jpg

Attached Files:

• x3.jpg
      x3.jpg
      File size:
      50.5 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 4
  3. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Nice replica :thumbs. Maybe look at fitting some Gravity pressure systems (Servo controlled seat Paddles, harnesses etc) instead of the usual motion systems. Perfect for aircraft and something like this. Just my opinion and I know those actuators were chosen for cost, but most fighter aircraft can change direction quite quickly and if the actuator cannot keep up/track these changes seen through the screen (VR) = sim sickness...Especially for a new sim pilot.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  4. Tore E. Larsen

Balance:
    75Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK

Some good ideas here. To me this is just a start of a learning curve and you are probably right about what you are saying. Maybe I must invest in SNC 6 actuators
    down the road and experiment further with gravity. ( Sounds cool! ) Building and testing is a huge part of this hobby. ( It never ends :)
    Motion sickness is something we have learned about already. You get used to it but it does not feel good :)

Tore
  5. Tore E. Larsen

Balance:
    75Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Got my Spitfire cockpit working yesterday. At least 40% increased fun factor. :) Ended up with two Polulu jrk 12 / 16 volt. Tried to understand the arduino set up but I could not make the codes. Those created by other users might work. but I failed with those too. JRK`s are much easier for a beginner and simtools takes it over when started up. What a good software! The new version is even better. Managed to get the "flip over" effect decreased and I`m sure there is much more to adjust.

There are some negativ information on some threads regarding the DCS plugin. Nothing is wrong with it, but I spent many hours before things worked ok, but not because of the plug in. Also the new Yak 52 works beatiful together with the Spitfire. Not tested with the F15 but I`m willing to bet that that airplane works as well.

As suggested by Seat Time I`m going to look into all the other forces available and see what can be made out of at least some of them.
    • Like Like x 2