1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

1st Timer! What to do?

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by hairyspheers, Dec 18, 2010.

1. hairyspheers

hairyspheers New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone! I just saw a few videos on youtube on motion simlulators. They were all homemade and I never thought something like this could be build at home. What a cool thing to have to play games with. If you guys can give me some suggestion on were to start, especially with the eletroncics, it would be great. I would like to do it on a small scale fisrt so i can understand the concepts in hardware and electronics to make such a things. :uups:
  2. bvillersjr

bvillersjr Active Member

Balance:
    437Coins
    Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -0
    These forums are currently experiencing technical difficulty. The search feature is not working so I cannot post links to the threads that might help you.

When the search feature starts working, you can try searching for:

-Resources for Building an SCN5 Based Simulator - building-a-proper-motion-seat-base-for-scn5-s-t2216.html

-Building a Proper Motion Base For SCN5's - building-a-proper-motion-seat-base-for-scn5-s-t2216.html

-SCN5 Hardware Thread - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1083

or if you are wanting to build a wiper motor sim, you can search for:

-Tronic AMC
    -Pololu

UPDATE: Search is working for the moment, so I added in the links I couldn't find earlier
  3. kubing

kubing Member

teacher, Industrial electronic programmer
    Balance:
    350Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just prepare your time..1-2 month. not 2 or 3 days project i think..
  4. Orion

Orion New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Read, read, read. I would take at least 1 if not 2 weeks of reading the forums to figure out first how many degrees of freedom you want. It will be referred to as 2DOF, 3DOF, etc. The next step would be to settle on a design that not only fits your taste but fits the space you have to put it in. After you have read and re-read all there is to find on these forums about the style you want ask the questions. It is only after your research that you questions will be narrowed down to a point that someone can really help you.

Orion
  5. hairyspheers

hairyspheers New Member

Balance:
    0Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you all for giving me some information to start with. I have lots of reading to do.

I used google to search the site. So I think i want to do something similar to the Thanos full cockpit. It is very impressive. Is it 2DOF?

I also saw a thread from Frakk about the Pololu 12v12. I am looking for off the shelf electronics and I will probably run a dedicated old PC for X-sim. The Pololu motor controller is required for each motor. Is there any controller for multiple motors? I am planning on use wipermotors to start with since I have serveral laying around.

As for space, I have an open 800sqft basement ready to be turned into a fun zone :D
  6. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You lucky guy!!!! :highfive: