1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom 1DOF Standalone Traction loss

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by MGFarao, Apr 24, 2020.

1. MGFarao

MGFarao New Member

Balance:
    - 89Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, JRK
    Hi everyone!

Ok so the last week of so I discovered that my fanatec clubsport v2.5 base is strong enough to shake my glass table while racing and that even if I have tried there was no home made way of attaching my pedals without any flex when pushing the upper part of the brakes resistance.

Next day I start looking at aluminum profile to fix my chair and wheels at least.... then while cheking rigs on youtube I saw the first DIY motion rigs, a lot of them made from the same aluminum. That got me thinking about force feedback and the difference getting a better wheel had made to my driving.
    I started looking at commercial rigs but the only one I could afford (and that would be a big strech) would be the DOFReality H3, seemed good enough, nice reviews, pretty silent but had the main problem I have with everything in my house... Its too big, so if I was going to do this I needed to design it with my measurements in mind.

Next step was finding xsimulator, I think it was after reading the forum for a couple of days I decided to jump in. I had decided to make a sim rig with aluminum profile for strength. Decided on 1DOF because it seemed easier and cheaper to start with only one axis and decided that the yaw movement was what I missed the most from driving. Another part of choosing traction loss is that I believe that it will be easy to build on top (literally) of it later, maybe adding an actuator in each corner. That would be a sim rig I would be really really proud of, but right now being tight on cash, noise level and space are a serious limiting factor. Talking about space, the last and most important call was making the rig foldable, I will lock my office chair in place while racing and when Im done I can fold down the wheel stand to store the rig and use the same chair to work on my desk.

This would be the racing position to call it something, wheel and pedals like regular rigs, attached round the wheel I will also include one of my Oculus Rift sensors. IIRC having the sensor mounted with the rig should cancel any tracking problems, but I have also read about motion cancelation with controllers for different headsets. I would really apreciate it if someone could confirm that the Oculus Rift with the sensor mounted on the rig it the right way to go!

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-20 at 12.50.56.jpeg

This would be the storage position, the chair is removed the rig folded without having to remove the wheel or pedals. Ill have to make a box to add a usb hub to connect everything (wheel, pedals, rift sensor) as well as housing power supply, jrk and the wheels power supply.

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-20 at 12.53.31.jpeg

This is a shot from below with the platform highlighted.

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-20 at 12.55.44.jpeg

The aluminum im buying from Motedis, seems to have everything I need and they ship from Germany. (I live in Spain).

Having that design in mind I went with a small worm gear drive motor (inspired by this thread), they looked cheap and so silent! I got one from ebay trying to match the characteristics I saw in the shoping list thread. I ended up buying this model but on ebay:

https://www.maxpeedingrods.co.uk/Ge...orque-Reversible-Electric-Gear-Motor-Box.html

For the controller I went with a JRK 12V12, I kept reading that they are tougher and the wiring diagrams that I found used that model.

For the power supply I went with this one:

360W - 12V DC 30A Not really sure if it will be enough, for the little testing Ive done it seems to be working. Last thing I bought were some 10k ohm pots for the feedback.

When Ireceived the motor and electronics I tried to connect everything to see if I could get it to work and decide if I was going to continue the build. Good thing was that after welding the jrk, and connecting the motor and pot everything worked without mayor difficulty (had to weld power connector twice, not smart to learn welding on 100€ jrk). A couple pieces of info that really helped me were the wiring diagram found here and the detailed guide for setup . Many many thanks to eaorobbie!

So now I had the motor working, I was getting signal from LFS correctly so I decided to buy the aluminum profile and complete the build. Good thing was I could order everything I was missing from one place, bas thing was that due to the coronavirus Im not getting my order shipped until next week, so that leaves me with 10 to 15 days of having a perfectly working setup and not being able to feel it..... NOT REALLY, I went all McGyber and set up a sort of testing rig with my office chair, scraps of wood, pieces of gas tubing etc etc...

It look a bit... not pretty, not at all.... but man, feeling only that small amount of movement... its just WOW, im completely sold on motion simulators, this looks to be the begining of a long upgrade journey.

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-24 at 22.54.47.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-04-24 at 22.54.25.jpeg

So thats my overall view for the rig right now, im so glad I found this community!! The next steps will be counting the days until all the aluminum profile is sent to complete the build. Im open to any ideas or comments, for now the only doubts I have is the Oculus Rift setup like I commented above and the motor/power supply for the "test" I made it moves me easy peasy but im scared it wont be powerful enough with all the weight of the rig.... I guess we will find out in about ten days!!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. MGFarao

MGFarao New Member

Balance:
    - 89Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, JRK
    Ok so this has moved a really long way, I managed to build the 1DOF platform and was loving it so I decided to continue my build process.

I will make a new thread with information soon, but basically after seeing SilentChills 6DOF with oDrives I decided to make a 3DOF + TL using the same boards and motors!
    • Like Like x 1