1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

1000Watt DC motors for platforms?

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by egoexpress, Feb 14, 2008.

1. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    What about to use heavy 1000Watt DC scooter motors with pulleys and levers?

Motor-300.jpg
    I've seen them on Ians website. Sure, they are a bit more expensive than wiper motors, but should have plenty of power.

They could be setted up this way I think.
    Beispiel mit scooter 1000W motoren und platform.JPG
    The size of the pulleys and the lever depends on the rpm and torque of the motor.

The 1200W model provides 3,6Nm and a speed of 4000rpm. With a reduction of 1:60 it turns 1rps and should have a torque of 192Nm! If the lever is reduced to 250mm, it provides ~80kgf over a total travel lenght of nearly 500mm!Thats amazing!
    I hope I've calculated it right. Could anybody check that ;)

Just an idea...

Regards
    Christian
  2. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I've sent a request to unite-motor.co to ask their price on those 1000W motors.

As I experinced last time with SCN5 actuators that asian manufacturers like to sell containers rather than one or two items, I asked the price for 10 of those 1000W motors.

Here's the answer, that I received in a record time of 17 minutes ;)
    USD50/pc for 10pcc sample order.
    Plus delivery cost USD280.
    Total cost is USD780 (~512Euro)
    Lead time is 15 days.
    payment term is TT in advance.
    Thks & Rgds
    Sales Manager
    Shenzhen Unite Industries Co.,Ltd.
    Unite Motor Co.
    That means 50Euro/motor including shipping. I think this is a good price. Well excluding import taxes...
    MY1020G1000W.doc
    What do you guys think? Are they suitable? How could we provide them with 36-48V and 35A :)

Regards
    Christian
  3. tronicgr

tronicgr

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My DSMhb can drive these motors! Its limitations are 50v and 49Amp! Maybe with four car batteries in series that will give us the 48v and plenty of amps.

Of course I don't like to drive things to their limits, so for these motors I should redesign my DSMhb with double or triple parallel placed mosfets to handle the stall currents of these motors better. A double parallel mosfet layout could handle 98Amp and a triple parallel layout 145Amp!!! ;-)

The only thing that worries me about these motors is if the are capable of fast reverse situations as the inertia of their rotor may not allow instant braking and reversal without huge kick of regenerative currents!!

Otherwise these motors look good for their prize. :)

Regards, Thanos
  4. egoexpress

egoexpress Active Member

Balance:
    421Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Well, in a perfect world ;)

They have plenty of power and they are cheap. I think it should be worth to try them. These motors are scooter motors. Comparing the mass inertia of an scoooter in movement, handling a pivoted 2 DOF platform should be possible I think.

4 car batteries *omg* :eek:

Perhaps these motors are suitable for MODSSO' project, as the has access to tools and has the skills to make an appropriate reduction gear for them (I think 1:60 should be good).

Regards
    Christian
  5. EvanF

EvanF Member

Multimedia Producer
    Balance:
    423Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just whack it on the end of a Linear Actuator Mod and you'll be sweet to handle heavy loads and with the bonus of no freewheel issues! :D

However if you want ultra quick response then the crank lever direction is a very tempting route.

If you want to find reduction gearboxes on the cheap scan the Tenders columns for machinery refurbishments then lurk around the factory that's being upgraded. Lot's of packing machinery use reduction gear-boxes and one-day you'll strike it lucky with a goldmine of them. I've got a real sweet 30:1 alloy one with a 3/4 dia output shaft.

Thanos, I wish it were that simple with H-Bridges but just maybe there are other factors to consider when you play with higher voltage/amps!

EvanF
  6. yobuddy

yobuddy Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator SimAxe Beta Tester SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

Computer Technician
    Balance:
    48,212Coins
    Ratings:
    +5,038 / 16 / -0
    The 1200W model sounds great for a 6 DOF platform. We could use a 48 volt golf cart charger and four 12v or eight 6v batteries.
    I believe a charger like this could simply be left plugged in even while the simulator is in use.

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-cha ... 1-113.html