1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY Dashboard with TM1638 and servo motors

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by cazsan, Jan 17, 2016.

1. cazsan

cazsan Member

Programmer
    Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi there,

Here is my first topic about my first DIY dashboard.
    Yet still a design, this dashboard will take place over my T500 wheel base and show both digital and servo-driven data.
    I mainly play Project cars but I'll try to get my project usable for as many games as possible, letting the user to choose which data to display on the gauge he wants.

This thread will regroup all my experiments and worksheet for the project.
    wI'll update is every time my project goes further.

About the components I'll use (because I already have them):
    - An arduino (about a Micro/Nano will be sufficient) and its power cable
    - 3 Servo motors (I'll use these : MG90S)
    - 1 TM1638
    - Some plastic/metal fabric to do the case, TBD.

First of all, lets write down the need
    Display game data while driving. These data should be useful for the user.
    Digital display
    Digital display should display Speed, RPM, Gear, Position, Fuel, Temperature (oil/water), lap/total, delta time with forwarding/following user, delta time with best session lap. I think something like http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/cardashx-tm1638-sketch-for-gamedash.7276/ is a great start and will do the job for almost all the need.
    Analog display
    Basically, gauges should display RPM, Speed, Turbo, Fuel, Temperature (oil/water). These display should be selectable using a button like the actual digital display does.

Project status
    26-01-2015 - Struggling with CardashX and GameDash to get data transferred between the two.
    18-01-2015 - To be started when I have enough time.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. haroldjames

haroldjames Active Member Gold Contributor

Electronic Tech
    Balance:
    - 398Coins
    Ratings:
    +54 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5, SCN6
    looking forward to your project!
  3. cazsan

cazsan Member

Programmer
    Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm yet being stuck on getting my digital dash working with CardashX (data doesn't seems to be sent to the display...). When this will be sorted, I'll keep pushing to get Servo working as yet they are still in my electronic junk box.

PS: Thanks to @noorbeast for the coins giveaway, that helped me to get enough to download several plugins to start to play with.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. cazsan

cazsan Member

Programmer
    Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hey mates, yesterday I was able to move a servo using my Arduino. Thankfully things are easy to do with libraries.
    Now I have to hook up a bit more with CardashX and sort out why my system does not work as expected.

Stay tuned :)