1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

SCN cutaway view

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by wannabeaflyer2, Jan 17, 2016.

1. wannabeaflyer2

wannabeaflyer2 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Hi Guys not sure if this is allowed but just wanted to ask , does anyone know where i can find a sectional diagram or tear down review of say an SCN5-6 liner actuator, Things have moved on since they were introduced and trying to understand the possible pros and cons of some pretty high speed high torque steppers that are relatively affordable Nowadays and linked to say 1605 Ball screw& Nut arrangement ( as per Seatime project)

im thinking the controller technology is now in the realms of DIY , the Steppers are affordable and ballscrews wont break the bank and encoders are cheap as well ----- so what else is required thrust bearings , housing, ??

what makes them so special and how the DIY element can learn from this design, i have seen sectional diagrams for a lot of generic linear actuators but the SCN's strip downs seem as rare as rocking horse Crap :)

if this post is out of with this request then Admin can delete it as no offense is intended , Oh OH if this has already been discussed here then a link to that topic would do Cheers
  2. Roadster2

Roadster2 Member

Balance:
    1,194Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hey roadster thanks for the link , that was the one i also found and it was sooo close to showing the Tube housing section but bugger it was not in view, i can see what look like a teflon tube guide which is over the Lead screw nut so that bit i caught , the Link to the forum promised so good detail but cant see the older photos :-( they may have shown the detail i'm looking for . At the end of the day it will boil down to Motor speed/ Torque and following @seatime lead i will order some 1605 Ball screws & Nut to build a test unit..

i Suppose DC motors would be easier but im sure this can be done using steppers in open loop mode ( ie emulating DC motor Operation ) ... Looking at using a NEMA 34 motor with 9 Nm output , but need to do some background checks on the maths behind it .. @SeatTime has lead the way im just a follower trying to put another option out there for us DIY Guys ..credit where its due it goes to Seatime and the others i'm just a dreamer tinkering with an idea not reinventing the wheel as it were..
  4. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Not quite scn's but principles there

and theres more

last one

Hi Admin dont need coins for these posts so they can be deducted , just posting for ideas into the collective pot as it were
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  5. Dave Berry

Dave Berry New Member

Balance:
    263Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5, SCN6, Motion platform
    Hi folks,

Not sure if you're still looking for some internals of SCN series actuators, but I have a couple that are on my workbench for repair at the moment, should be able to do a bit of a teardown video if that would be helpful?

Cheers,

Dave
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    hi dave an answer to my prayers :) mate any info pictures etc would be brilliant , video would be outstanding , not just for me it wpuld be for all us wannabe inventors .. this is all info gathering for an attempt to floow @seatimes work , have already drawn up a Provisonal cad model but this info would be the icing on the cake,. im trying to find out how to use good sized stepper motors for this type of Actuator , im guessing it will alll boil down to the clever stuff in the controller but making the actuator is doable ,, so mega cheers for the Offer , i be watching this space .. Cheers Dave
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. adgun

adgun Active Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    5,540Coins
    Ratings:
    +131 / 3 / -0
    look for a nema 23 stepper
    bearing and 1605 screw can,t handle 9nm.
    With an 1605 screw you have 200kgf with 2nm dont go further or take a bigger screw.
    About youre motor setup,please google with easy servo, you can buy a 2nm set for 180 pound in my country.
    Hope this helps
    reegards Ad
    sorry for the bad english
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Dave Berry

Dave Berry New Member

Balance:
    263Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5, SCN6, Motion platform
    Hiya folks. So, I just got done uploading the viudeo to YouTube. Clearly my technical knowledge is a long way behind serious folks like adgun! However, I hasve managed to put some video together anyway.

Not sure if I'm gonna be able to link it because of y low post count, but I'll give it a go...

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  10. wannabeaflyer2

Balance:
    8,286Coins
    Ratings:
    +950 / 7 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi guys just wanted to say thanks for the info , its exactly what I was hoping to get when I asked the question, Dave that video was just what the doctor ordered, so thanks for going through the effort of putting it out there for guys like me, @adgun great info you may not remember but I have been around these forums forever LOL and back in the day we bounced some ideas around regarding Ballscrews but at time they were very expensive , our time has come Lol
    @seatme has shown the way .. just downloading AutoCAD inventor 2016 30 day trial and will transfer my concept drawings based on @seatimes work ,, and post them here ordering 1605 ball screw and nut ( but coming from china ...where else LOL so may take a while), Nema 23 steppers I have from some of my older CNC router builds and the drivers are cheap ...... im googling a way to use standard cnc parts to drive a stepper motor like a dc motor , it will have for testing one of my spare 600 ppr optical encoder for position feedback .. so need to sort out the Ardunio part for speed / direction control..... CNC' machines change direction all the time so im thinking there is some mileage in looking at this option .. As always Dreaming but hey , with inspiration from you guys here anything's possible ...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1