1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Arduino development

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by aarondc, Jun 14, 2013.

1. aarondc

aarondc Member

Balance:
    186Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hey there

am curious if are there many people using Arduino / Atmel processors for their sims?
  2. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    There is a few, most stay quite about them, Mr Prilad and friends developed a port to the Ard and it works very nicely, I would use this but enjoy my Jrks way too much.
  3. aarondc

aarondc Member

Balance:
    186Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I am developing a serial monitor, and have released the first version. It will work with any com port device, but am developing a debug library for Arduino that will be closely integrated with the serial monitor.

Serial monitor app is Windows only. It has a thread over on the Arduino forum here: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=169518.0

In case anyone is looking for something slightly more helpful than the monitor that comes with Arduino IDE.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    problem with monitors is they normally take over the usb port and when sim software trys to open the port , its locked to the monitor. If your app can do this and not lock off the comport, it will be very handy for debuging purposes. SimControl from Mr Prilad and guys gave us this option to see live what the ardunio is doing plus what its recieving too. Very handy for tuning the all important PID.

The new software can send a string to the ard quite well, its just a matter of sorting the data once it has it.
    I have been working on my Dashboard project which links a Ard - TM1638 display resulting in 6 pages of information being avail on the dash. I have this running in the old software but the new yet to have support for telementry information for a dashboard, so Im slowly trying to learn all the bits I need to make a plugin that will not need motion software and cross me fingers it can be adapted into the new software for all to use and customize their own boards. I made my own very simple app that allows me to change the gear, rpm and speed on the dash with sliders, just need to get my head around vb reading the data avail in game.
    Im not a programmer, well the last time I used VB was back in its hay days in 1990 under Windows 3.11.
    I use to work on the mines as a Hardware IT Support for PC and Unix HP 9000 systems. Since I left the mines to better my kids lifes, I have fallen back to my other love, Body Building, also a First Class Fabricator, its only been since playing with Sim I find my self coming back to programming, Man I wish I had kept it up way back then.
  5. aarondc

aarondc Member

Balance:
    186Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    yes, the serial port is opened by the monitor and then kept open. i don't know what the sim software is / does yet, so it will be some time before that's loaded in the brain and i am thinking the tools i currently have at my disposal are not going to be sufficient to do what you suggest is necessary.

ie snooping.
  6. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Snooping is the key for debugging. So are plans coming together for your first sim
  7. aarondc

aarondc Member

Balance:
    186Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Snooping or 2 serial ports :D

There are a number of variables involved in a sim design, as you well know. Movement DOF selection, motor selection, rig design, motor driver selection, screen selection, gaming PC design, etc, etc. I am going to build something completely non-sim like and very simple first, with a couple of small motors and motor drivers. I'm in no hurry and will enjoy the journey as much if not more than the end result.

Currently brainstorming every facet of sim rig design and accumulating all the options available. As well as working full-time, trying to stay fit, and do a couple of other Arduino-based projects.
  8. eaorobbie

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,390Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Cool i woild recommend a servo model, was my first steps 4 years ago.
    Fun little build and teachs you how to use the software, I still use it today to test plugin with before testing full scale.

Im only leaving the Ard to build dashboards as for a costing and ease of setup and longivity of use I build with Jrk12v12's to drive the dc motors.
  9. aarondc

aarondc Member

Balance:
    186Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
  10. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hello Aarondc !
    >am curious if are there many people using Arduino / Atmel processors for their sims?

I'm using Arduino : I've built a 2 DOF arduino / motomonster / 12V wiper truck motors
    (full A to Z step by step instructions in my signature)

I'll soon work on my new Arduino code for a ... 3 DOF !!

thanks for sharing: I'll have a look to you library !
    Mat
  11. tadythefish

tadythefish Active Member

Process automation engineer
    Balance:
    676Coins
    Ratings:
    +95 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    i know a thing or two about programming arduinos and when you get the hang of it its so simple you dont use any other development boards :) so yes im using arduinos... me and my frinds are starting to build a sim for racing and will uload photos soon :)
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  12. iWill

iWill New Member

Retired [early]
    Balance:
    511Coins
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Using Teensy USB development boards from pjrc.com for custom controls. Programmable using Arduino tools, easy to set up as USB gamepad or joystick device.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. xmarciex

xmarciex New Member

na
    Balance:
    186Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    is teensy better in use for buttonboxes?
  14. ferslash

ferslash Active Member

Balance:
    4,798Coins
    Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -0
    i was toying with arduino unojoy preatty nice
    fer
  15. Revolution_Radio

Revolution_Radio New Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 4DOF, 6DOF
    I used Aruino on a previous build and will be using an UNO for the build I'm currently working on. I'm interfacing to a pair of L6203 H-Bridge drivers to give a simple 2-DOF motion initially. I've got a huge selection of motors to choose from and I haven't decided exactly which method to use.
    I've got a few 24v 300N rams which I might try even though they're quite slow, I can use leverage to gain a bit of speed.
    I'm no mater coder but I'll happily share anything that's of use to anyone else.