1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Potentiometers

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by Andrea 1968, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Andrea 1968

Andrea 1968 Member

Balance:
    193Coins
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    hi, I wanted to point this link, I got them, I tried are great.
    http://www.ebay.it/itm/261797870478?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    I see they are 5k Ohm and the stander pot resistors that most controllers commonly use is 10k Ohm ...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andrea 1968

Andrea 1968 Member

Balance:
    193Coins
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I am not an expert on electronics but I think it's just a difference of current consumption .
    I = V / R
    I = 5/5000 = 1 mA
    I = 5/10000 = 0.5 mA
    the difference and small !!
  4. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @Andrea 1968 ...
    FYI, the choice of the 10K Ohm has nothing to do with the current consumption.
    It is a standard value made many years ago for many appliances as far as my readings based on the best linearity ,best output signal sensitivity plus many many different factors.
    you can read more on this FAQ link about Fundamentals of Motion Control .
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  5. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    As long as it is a quality pot, there shouldn't be a problem with a 5K pot. Most issues arise in potentiometer selection where low input impedance is present. The Arduino ADC has a very high input impedance so current draw isn't an issue and the regulated supply isn't going to be affected by a 5k pot so there isn't an issue there either. Linearity differences between a 10K pot and a 5K pot would only depend on quality control from the manufacturer. Sensitivity would only be effected by the amount of turns in the pot and the resolution of the ADC in the micro controller.
    In terms of feedback in motion control you are looking at voltage change and so in a high frequency environment issues would arise if you were to use pots with values over 100K as they start to get really noisy and that noise on the DC signal can get picked up by the ADC.

A 10K pot is commonly used in micro controller/logic based systems just because it is a common and easily obtained value.

Most issues with potentiometer selection comes down to sine wave (or any type of frequency source) applications as they change the filter response in the system overall. Issues also arise if your sensing output requires a given amount of current. The value will also depend on your circuit were other values of resistors are used in series/parallel and would change voltage/current values within the circuit.
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Andrea 1968

Andrea 1968 Member

Balance:
    193Coins
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    good explanation, as soon as possible and we will try those 10k'll check if there are differences.
  7. pedrono2

pedrono2 New Member

Balance:
    213Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino
    Hello,
    please What are the best.?
    the lower the value the better.? Not so burdened Arduino processor
    thanks
  8. SixCyl

SixCyl Member

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    The best result that can be obtained is with better quality potentiometer as possible and not a question of value only.
    Try to write a small code on an arduino board with serial interface and connect a pot in analog pin of your choice and play with it ! If you look at your value in realtime she fluctuate anymore with cheapest potentiometer ! has the quality of the potentiometer depends the quality and the linearity along the range of signal ...
    There are some solution for reduce noise on sensor reading but it's not the subject now. Maybe on another post ?
  9. SixCyl

SixCyl Member

Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    But the really things important are the quality before all on the position sensors !
    Better signal = less parasitic fluctation on the seat.
  10. TFOU57

TFOU57 Member

Balance:
    5,723Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    @Alexey, Thank you for your explanations
    For my part I have Arduino Due ADC with 3.3V and I already have 360 potentiometers with 340 ° race but 20Kohm
    What do you think of these 20Kohm potentiometers with 3.3V?
    Do you think I would gain an important (%?) With potentiometers for 10Kohm Feedback?
    From what I understood from your explanation is that the noise on the DC signal picked up by the ADC affects so depending on the intensity in the covered pot.
    I saw that you can put a non-polarized capacitor between the negative terminal and the cursor.
    The value that I sometimes observed is 100nF.
    How determined?
    By a formula based on the loss of response time arising from the smoothing of the signal?

Texte original :
    @Alexey, merci de vos explications
    Pour ma part j’ai des Arduino Due avec un ADC en 3,3V et j’ai déjà des potentiomètres 360° avec une course de 340° mais en 20Kohm
    Que pensez vous des ces potentiomètres 20Kohm sous 3.3V?
    Pensez-vous que j’aurais un gain important ( % ? ) avec des potentiometers de Feedback de 10Kohm?
    D’après ce que j’ai compris de vos explications, c’est que le bruit sur le signal DC ramassé par l'ADC influe donc en fonction de l’intensité parcourue dans le potentiomètre.
    J’ai vu que l’on peut mettre un condensateur non polarisé entre la borne moins et le curseur.
    La valeur que j’observe parfois est de 100nF.
    Comment la déterminer ?
    Par une formule en fonction de la perte de temps de réponse découlant du lissage du signal ?
  11. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @TFOU57 ...
    Can you search in Google for three or four questions at the same time ?
    Why ?
    What language ?
    Elaborate more ?

Thanks
  12. TFOU57

TFOU57 Member

Balance:
    5,723Coins
    Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino
    @speedy, Sorry, i'm French and I translated by Google Translate.
    If several questions at once bothers you, I will separate my questions

Is the use of a feedback potentiometer 20Kohms increases the signal noise ?
    (I already have 20kohms potentiometers on 340 ° and my ADC Arduino Due is 3.3V)

Texte original :
    @speedy, Désolé, je suis Français et j’ai traduit par Google Translate.
    Si plusieurs questions à la fois vous gêne, je vais vous séparer mes questions

Est-ce que l’usage d’un potentiomètre Feedback de 20Kohms augmente des bruits du signal ?
    (J’ai déjà des potentiomètres 20kohms sur 340° et mon ADC de l’Arduino Due est 3.3V)
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  13. Cvetan Cvetanov

Cvetan Cvetanov Member

Balance:
    1,462Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    I think just 3.3v is low than 5v and noise is the same but in your signal is proportional increased with 1,5 times. Pot is just for dividing voltage.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    How the potentiometer is mounted on the rig and the amount of force it takes to turn the potentiometer can also affect performance. I started with very inexpensive carbon film pots. They worked ok with with a little noise pollution to start but wore out quickly. This resulted in oscillation because of the worn pot. So then I switched to cheap wire wounds these worked ok but were harder to turn. The difference resulted in a flex of the mounting bracket which again introduced oscillation. So I finally bit the bullet and ordered non contact potentiometers, also known as magnapots. The best investment, they are about 15.00 dollars each as compared to the others I only paid a couple dollars each for . I have almost completely eliminated oscillation while being able to turn up the power. I use the 8858-6127V1A360L.5FS from Www.mouser.com.

What I'm getting at is SPEND THE MONEY ON GOOD POTENTIOMETERS you don't have to invest a million dollars but stay away from the cheap stuff.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Anyone got any links to hall sensor pots/magnepots on ebay? All I seen to get is throttle position sensors on the search returns. I've found them on element 14 website but they are priced at $30. So if i can get them slightly cheaper on ebay that would be great but if not.... Element14 it is.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Stealthelius

Stealthelius Member Gold Contributor

Office Clerk
    Balance:
    106Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Ciao @Andrea 1968. Io ho preso i potenziometri che hai linkato sul primo posto e vanno benone. Puoi dimenticare anche il glifo oscillante :thumbs
  18. josemanuelrm26

josemanuelrm26 my 2dof

Balance:
    286Coins
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    hola mount 100k potentiometers in error and did not work well simulator. Now with 10k it works fine but the mechanical are cheap. the better the hal. do not?
  19. bruce stephen

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    yes hall is better.
  20. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Hall effect's are 100X more durable as well. I had a Pot lock up back when i first started and sure as shi* its still alive to this day, and to think back. I had a BIG a** pair of pliers on that sucker to get it turning again but once the flex coupler's were installed it was smooth sailing from there on out. $ for $ Hall effects are 1000% worth the investment.
    • Agree Agree x 2