1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

F1 Cockpit Kit

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by mrt, Dec 3, 2015.

1. mrt

mrt Member

Balance:
    718Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    Hi Everyone
    After reading for a while i have decided to share the project i am working on. The idea is hopefully to inspire people like i have been inspired to try make people create there own sim/design no matter what there abilitys and hoplefully will help to create a more affordable sim.

The project i have start is a F1 type cockpit which would meet the 2016 F1 regultions (sizing) In which i now have the moulds to recreate more in the future. The whole idea would be just to aell the cockpit in its bare form possible with a moulded generic seat. Then it would be upto guys and girls like your self to develop your own motion system. In the meantime i will try and make it a motion sim myself and hopefully share some pictures along the way.

So to get started here is the monocoque from the front view mono.jpg
    The square box at the front can be cut off but it may become in usefull in the future. I will also come back to creating a roll hoop so that it looks more f1/gp style
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  2. mrt

mrt Member

Balance:
    718Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    DSC_1044.JPG
    This picture shows inside the monocoque and you may see the seat plug mould i am working on in the distance .
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. mrt

mrt Member

Balance:
    718Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    DSC_1063 (1).JPG
    After contemplating the monitor options and considering going down the oculas rift route i decided to fit a ultra curved monitor that could move with the monocoque. Luckily i had an old clamp desk style vesa mount which i could use parts from it along with some mild steel plate to bolt on to the top of the monocoque.( mite be overkill with the plate but see how it goes) This allows the monitor to be tilted downwards towards the driver as you are sitting below the monitor.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  4. mrt

mrt Member

Balance:
    718Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    DSC_1060.JPG DSC_1059.JPG
    Here is the drivers view from the seated position. I havent really played about with the in game resolutions/pov settings as yet.
    Luckily as the monocoque is flat the tv will sit onthe top flat and flat at an angle. Hopefully there shouldn't be any movement in the tv when it will eventually be in motion. Although it could just require an aditional bracket at the back to secure it.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  5. jamesdio

jamesdio Member

Balance:
    763Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, SCN5, SimforceGT, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Awesome, mrt!

I really love your project.
    Hope I can build my own f1 cockpit just like you.

Thanks to share your great project.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mrt

mrt Member

Balance:
    718Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    www.JPG above is the steering column bearing . I will be changing the two bolts but its all i had at the minute. Bearinbg was aapprox £6
    wheel.JPG
    And above is the srw-s1 wheel with back plate and a quick release boss which i need to fit together. I have decided for the steering it will be powered by the logitech g920 for the moment as its something i have already which i can use. for both the boss and the srw-s1 i paid approx £80

For cutting of the back plate for the srw-s1 i actually did a hand drawing with measurements and sent it to

http://www.lasermaster.co.uk/easy-order laser master who quoted me approx £8 inc delivery to convert it and cut it out. I did also use laser master to cut the plate for the tv stand and would recommend them.

The next job will be affter fixing the boss onto the wheel will be making a steering coloumn to go from the wheel down to the g920n which will be located behind the pedals
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice job man.
    I will say something towards your "affordable sim" . People can build a wiper seat mover arduino for $400 . So how is your set up affordable?
  8. mrt

mrt Member

Balance:
    718Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    The idea is just to offer the monocoque/cockpit alone then people can design there own motion base and hopefully use what componenets they already have for it. . I will for demotration purpuses be making this one motion,although at the moment it will be snc6 based . Maybe in the future i will look into the possibilitys of worm gears ect to get costs down for a complete kit.. . Ideally if i can get costs for the shell below £1000 then this may be more apealing people who are doing self builds.
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok . Makes sense. Shell cost. Thats different to sim cost.
    From experience a 2 DOF can cost between $400 -$800 depending on motors and controllers.
    So with your shell idea , it would be a matter of make the shell to suit the sim or building the sim to suit the shell.
    Edit.
    SCN6 look nice but are costly compared to DC motors JRKS / Ard MM. And they can perform the same.
  10. mrt

mrt Member

Balance:
    718Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    Yes it would be a case of building the sim to suit the shell. I found it would be easier at the moment to use scn6 actuators to do a working model but as you know this is keeping the cost well over what it would have cost to use dc motors. Maybe something to have a play with in the future.
  11. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    True, SCN are fairly quick to set up.
    Ok, go hard then
  12. mrt

mrt Member

Balance:
    718Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    so while work continues on the steering rack/wheel. Il share a picture of the pedals that might be going into the simulator. Nothing really special about them, as the are the g25 pedals. The main aim was with them to make them electronically adjustable for people of different height. Its not finished yet but will require a foot flate to rest your feet on and ideally it could do with at least the spring upgrde in the pedals. With the track actuator it allows approx 45cm adjustment . DSC_1081.JPG
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    I would HIGHLY suggest you re enforce that SRW S1 before mounting it on a G27/29 It WILL slowly destroy the Tiny little screw bosses in the main plate.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. jamesdio

jamesdio Member

Balance:
    763Coins
    Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, SCN5, SimforceGT, Motion platform, 4DOF
    Hi, Moxley.

I really agree with your recommendation.
    I should've read your post earlier than I broke mine. :(

Na1437550572214.jpg

Anyway, Thank you for the useful information.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mrt

mrt Member

Balance:
    718Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    Hi
    i did notice the loosening handles on a wheel i used on a g25 previously but thanks for the tip.
    heres a bad quality video i did a few years ago. showing the srw-s1 mounted into another cockpit.
  16. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Pull both handles then you have a Button box and a hand brake all in one.

[​IMG]
    • Creative Creative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. mrt

mrt Member

Balance:
    718Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    Afew more photos for you all So first one is of the seat buck mould . The picture is showing you the outside of the mould just so you know what it will look like . Although its much more smoother detailed on the other side.
    seat.JPG

So while i had two minutes before bed ive decided to mock up a roll hoop, which will make the rig look a little more like an F1 cockpit. Ive gone for a brawn style roll hoop as its pretty simple. It could be an idea to mount a speaker inside the roll hoop.
    roll2.JPG
    roll.JPG

Hopefully should be doing more work on the motion side of the build this week . so hopefully will have some motion updates/videos soon.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    For reference here is a real F1 seat - similar look, but different seating position to a Go Kart. For comfort, they are normally custom molded to the driver.

SF1_Seat1.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  19. mrt

mrt Member

Balance:
    718Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    Yea it is similar to this although in the picture my seat isnt shown at the right angle of when it is fitted. As the back would have to be higher. The seat would be a generic size/shape to fit most people

20. mrt

mrt Member

Balance:
    718Coins
    Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN6
    Hi so heres a few more photos to keep everyone interested,while work continues.
    1426000539613.jpg sample(1).png

Side (ish) image of monocoque Roll hoop cad 2d image to be cut from possibly aluminium or i may
    just even cut out of styrofoam to start out with. design may change slightly
    once the head surround is sorted.
    • Like Like x 6