1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

My project 2dof scn5 system

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by f1iceman, Sep 23, 2015.

1. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Hi just thought would share my project and anything that comes from that might help others new and old, but it's pretty much whats prob been coverd as i am going to just get it working before i play with things so here goes.

1st was space to run it so have it in its own room with carpetted walls and floor and ceiling in a black to keep the room dark.
    I have managed to get this done and get the screens up ready to basically get running.
    It has taken quite awhile to finnish the room, only a few bits left like plugs fitting and lights and its ready for setting up.
    I have gone the dark room route as one goal is poss play with projectors but for now i found out my old set up and i am using 3 x 50" plasma screens.
    IMG_9499.JPG IMG_9502.JPG IMG_9503.JPG IMG_9529.JPG IMG_9530.JPG
    • Like Like x 4
  2. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    hi just an update whats been going my end.
    my sim has just been thrown in as a basic frex system but been playing with software and just getting used to the system n setting in the odd game with the triple screen set up.
    my spare comp has come now and just a get me by for now, fx8350/hd6990/16 mem/ssd...ect
    sim is frex converted to simtools and running t500rs wheel n pedals.
    atm min its setup but way out what its supposed to be mainly the hight of the system to the screens.
    my brain has been on over time with where i want to go with it and i have gone for a full dash system and doing some conversions to run keyboard keys as sprung toggle switches and a like to give a race dash feel or look.
    i have got a dash now BMW e46 and its even left hand drive as most game cars seem to be left hand drive but in england we are right hand drive so quiter surprissed i got on :)
    i have also just got 5 x aura transducer as im build up my kit so its there for fit later when i decide the layout to which im learning while messing about.
    i certainly recomend throwing a project together get it running then decide what you want to do with how you feel or get on with what you have done.
    lots of things pop up like can you adjust it as a big thing to think of and then what kit do you want to fit like say hand brake, gearbox and seq gearbox all need to be accounted for as like me you want the gearbox to move with your seat if its a seat mover reasion for me is if you get a rift its always there.
    so im going to build a left hand dash with a right hand drive gearbox ! lol

i will have some photos soon of how it is then can see the mods when i do them and at the end will show before and after on completion.
    im trying to learn thats the main thing and talk and share as much as i can.

if you read this thanks :)
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice job there and sounds like a plan.
    I am sniggering at your "basic" PC specs. Its about the same as mine, expect I run a AMD 6 core and GTX590. Thats actually more than enough, even though I might have to run the graphics at a slightly lower setting
  4. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    the best bit was i paid £300 for it as was left over from a sim being splitt to sell it ain't bad tbh and watercooled.
    i just want to run pentium and nvidea i think for the main system. this will be the second for simtools and double up as a backup to run as a main too if i got a wipe out of a comp both capable to run.
    problem is atm min for me is graphics and the new rift is going to change everything coming out soon and i don't want to buy a new top range card as yet as like pc it changes so fast but i think the next change will be quite good as its will be rift standard ready for new era of gaming.
    then the cards like the gtx980 will be cheaper and im in no rush now im running and working out what i want to do.
    should get my BMW dash and i found my 7" monitor in a box at my workshop so be idea to fit in the dash behind the wheel.
    my last sim i used a pole and fitted the g25 right back so could use just wheel system so was like a cra with a colum.
    will be looking at that too.
    biggest problem i can see for me is i want heave and traction loss but for now im happy with getting it how i want then plan it to add later.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Well just got my box of bits today and paid 99p for it all and it made a loverly dash with a nice big area for the switchs and its left hand drive too, as all in car cams seem to be that way it might look better :)
    as i drive right hand drive cars im going to use the dash gear stick area to put the track pad or track ball mouse then in the dash spaces under the vents will be the switches and buttons.
    if you look where the clocks go i have fitted the lilliput touch screen to which can run a dash app on.
    the switches i have found are the twin postion type but sprung so can double up for 2 keys on a keyboard.
    this is going to be a mega job to get right i think.
    i hope to get a car stereo to work with surround sound so it can be controlled from seat easy then have something to control the 5 x aura transducers.
    also i will put switches to the comp so i can reset and poower it up from the seat too if it crashes n needs a reboot.
    i plan to run the 2 comps out the way hidden from view.

also the trays on centre console will be perfect for any remotes ect...

i am also toying on the idea of cutting the dash to follow with the fov and cut it so half goes under right monitor. IMG_9602.JPG IMG_9607.JPG IMG_9606.JPG IMG_9608.JPG

the wheel im going to disect and fit with it on a colum so it can look normal and nothing regarding the wheel feedback unit can be seen and be berried under the dash.
    i actually have a spare broken t500rs to get this right before i meess with my working one, so that will defo help with my dash build and keeps my sim running while i build which is a big bonus tbh.

hope you like got lots more planned will try keep ontop off it.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    i also might try get the speakers behind the vents but not much room so may end up running two edf electric plane fans so got a very powerfull cooler for me as it gets quite hot in the room ! lol
    (hope i don't take off) he he
    • Like Like x 2
  7. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice job there with the car dash idea. The little screen in where the gauges where is a good idea.
    As for keeping cool, that would be interesting. Here in Sydney Australia, is coming into summer. My sim is in the garage , so all I have is a desk fan to help keep me cool, and as nights can sit at 30 deg C or more, especially after a 45 deg C day, its a bit warm out there.
    Otherwise, go hard.
  8. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    i was so happy when i found my screen and that the thieves didn't take it but was more happy when it fitted just right and snugg :)
    few stainless or nice metal showing will soon make it look like a race car dash with abit of black suade ontop of the dash to stop reflections on the plastic and some carbon fibre wrap and nice blue glow leds will do the trick.
    as an aerial man i will make n weld some poles up for the roll cage look around the dash part.
    tbh the fans on the planes only came about as i have just put some planes on ebay to raise more funds for the sim and when i thought about it the edf fans are mega powerfull little units perfect for good airflow. also they start small in size i think 6omm is a good size.
    we don't know what the sun looks like here in england we walk round with web feet and fur nowadays as we have adapted to the bloody rain and crappy cold weather :) lol
    • Like Like x 2
  9. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    more things done today.
    mainly high placement and suspending the dash ready for wheel fitment and screen.
    also fitted adjustable feet a simple but effective thing to do if you want more height later on.
    once all done will be making full frame out of metal and weld it up for a good mega solid base unit.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    just gotta fit the wheel now which is in bits :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    just getting screen sorted how i want it to look just need to find my carbon fibre wrap and that bit done.
    i will use a hot glue gun to fix the screen in place and the surround, the screen has 4 clamps that hold it to the board.
    i have used an old sign board which is foamex and you can easily cut it with a knife and its very strong for this sort of thing.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    now as a tip for build any sim i think a good start is with wood as its cheap and easy to get hold of scrap bits here n there for free.
    the reason i think this is the way to go before a full build out of say metal is the fact if anything is not feeling right you can esily change it untill it is right.
    i have not draw anything up what im doing in a plan i have just gone with what it will let me fit as and where it will mount.
    the wood is simple and fast to actually get the idea off the ground.
    after its all fitted i am hoping to simply unscrew dash and be let with a frame to which will have been adjusted many times but at that point it will be right, i can then copy each part in metal and just simply put together in one go n jobs a good un ( i hope ) so certainly recomend the use of wood as a base set up.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Well i think i got it wrong when the misses said "shake and vac the carpet for when i get home" lol
    so i orderd these monsters.
    They came today :) yay IMG_9644.JPG
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    well not had much time for simming this last two weeks, but i'm trying to get back on it from now on.
    ive had a new screen so pulled most my system out as i'm gearing up to sort the dash out n that.
    the dash is still in the kitchen ! lol
    ive had a dead left screen so am just sorting some basics out then be getting things put together and playing to learn what i want next to improve.
    i have some pics to post in the next day or so of how am set up atm.
  15. Jadran

Jadran Member

Racing game:LFS,Simbin (Race07,GTREvo,RaceOn)
    Balance:
    3,207Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    Here's a suggestion for the button box (this is my) I hope you like it :)

[​IMG]

EDIT: This is the BMW E36 but not BMW E46 ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Jadran

Jadran Member

Racing game:LFS,Simbin (Race07,GTREvo,RaceOn)
    Balance:
    3,207Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    This is BMW E46 (still in WIP)

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  17. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    yes i do like it defo :)
    i want to use the toggle momentary switches as that way you can double up on the each switch so you can have two things on one so that gives you less clutter of switches i hope.
    9 toggles would do all what you have there and can still use the big cut off and push start.
    im also thinking of putting buttons for the comp on there too so you can shut it down n start it up ect........
    i want the race car look like you have done with the switches.
  18. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    I've had abit iof time free so changed the screens and tweaked the whole thing to give me more space and movement for when i put the dash in.
    I have been runing a dead screen so decided to sort that out which brought on the rest while i was at it. :)
    I have finally got my FOV ok from the testing i have been doing, and also found having the car move about incar view was linking your seat to moving visually to the car which i felt was better experience as felt like you was in the car more. it basically mirrored the seat and me moving but not to full just add a bit.

I have an ace bodge for fitting all my screen which is well cheap and can be easily alterd.
    I have also been setting the height of the seating and so on by adding bricks !! lol
    I had gone alot higher on the screens as i did'nt want to have it too low making it hard to get in and out, i've had them like that and it's a pain sometime.

Just a few pics. IMG_9717.JPG IMG_9720.JPG IMG_9719.JPG IMG_9721.JPG IMG_9718.JPG IMG_9722.JPG IMG_9730.JPG IMG_9733.JPG
  19. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    Sooooo much to do tho ;-(
    I can never settle on what i bloomin want to do as i take it further each time ! lol
    the dash is my main move tbh and i'm back on that very soon just a few bits to order like switches and things and i want it out of metal so could be awhile before it complete but no doubt i will have a proto type made up quite quick for testing purposes to get some kind of feel to things.
    I think you can throw a sim together but adding the details is where the skill comes in and researching and trying things out to learn.
    I all the little details will add up to one big diffrence abit like car setups and things like that.
    I really want to get my comp to full high spec as my graphics are abit poor compared to what i can do, but atm my 3 screens are all diffrent models and i can only match the res up on the lower side so thats noit really helping tbh.
    Im sure its that more than the graphics card letting me down.

Atm its all about seating and FOV then once i'm happy with the FOV setup and the screens then i'm ready for the dash to pop in and learn the next quest.

Will report back soon :)
    • Like Like x 1
  20. furiano

furiano New Member

Balance:
    - 88Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Very nice
    • Like Like x 1