1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Large footprint 6DOF motion base ......

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by jthiani, Jun 16, 2015.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Good to see it is still progressing:thumbs, its still going to be a beast :). I'm very space limited, so the footprint for mine is just over a 5ft diameter circle - basically half yours. For similar reasons I will be using a semi basket design, as being smaller I have to leave room to ensure the capsule does not foul the actuator arms when in motion (edit: looking at the photos, I don't think you will have this issue). SketchUp is your friend for all of this.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  2. jthiani

jthiani Member

Balance:
    588Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, AC motor, Motion platform, 6DOF
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. jthiani

jthiani Member

Balance:
    588Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok i did the extensions so that when the basket is at the top of the stroke, the arms and the distance between the centers forms an equilateral triangle. My thinking is that this gives me maximum range of motion without putting too much stress on the worm gear mounts.
  4. Atlas974

Atlas974 old school

Physics chemestry
    Balance:
    358Coins
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Great, keep the pics and videos coming ^^
  5. hooshang

hooshang Active Member

Balance:
    289Coins
    Ratings:
    +157 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    great design mate,with lower cog you improve the feeling of motions, congrats
    IMO the crank arms are too long for the mototrs and gearbox .i think you should pick bigger hammer or
    use shorter cranck and also stronger steel and materials can help much
    waiting to see it in action
    regards
    Hooshang
  6. BLP

BLP New Member

Balance:
    91Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Looks great - what type of motors are you using - I am currently working on my project - I just started - I have a Cessna 421 cockpit that I cut off of the fuselage - Trying to figure out what type of frame to build for the base - along with motors and if I should go with hydraulics of electrical - my first project so hope this forum will get me on the right track - again your project looks great -
    BLP
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. jthiani

jthiani Member

Balance:
    588Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I hear you but after doing the manual test, i like the length of the crank arms. After i do more tests with the full motion cues i will make a final decision on whether to modify them or not
  8. jthiani

jthiani Member

Balance:
    588Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks for the compliments. I am using 2 hp A/C motors. the worm gears have a 15 rpm output with a 60:1 ratio i believe.
  9. BLP

BLP New Member

Balance:
    91Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    How is your project going - been quite busy so haven't had tine to work on mine until today - finally got all the excess metal cut off of the cockpit now it measures 6 feet by 8 feet so am looking at the design of the mounting plate and get it fabricated - got to get it indoors as winter is approaching and I would like to work on it more. Quite new at using this website so hope you don't mind if I converse with you on your project and would like to get ideas on designing mine. do you have more videos posted on this website will try to look for them

Thanks
    BLP
  10. ho123

ho123 New Member

Balance:
    198Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    nice work would you like to share your dimensions?
  11. eightbit

eightbit Active Member Gold Contributor

Fish Farmer
    Balance:
    183Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, AC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    Absolutely perfect!!! Winning! Nuff sed!