1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

load cell brake calliper ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic - All other stuff here' started by f1iceman, Oct 29, 2015.

1. f1iceman

f1iceman Why So Serious ? ( The Joker )

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    hi simmers

just doing my normal rounds thinking for my sim. lol
    has anyone made a load cell brake using something like a motorbike brake system as it has the res built in and they can be brought very cheap a simple mod say for the lever make it stronger then put a short hydraulic pipe to the caliper and drop a load cell inbetween the pads of calliper. you could even tune it with various types of hard rubber instead of the pads to put the pressure on the load cell.

am i thinking this might work ive not orderd any parts yet but have the brake set up.
    does this sound reasonable idea to try out and might work ??? or better still has anyone made it work.
    as i have to get some pedals for my dash soon to build up rather than the t500rs ones.

this is what i mean for the lever mine is like that and its res is movable so you can place the lever parts at any angle or way and still keep the res in the right place. then a simple very short pipe to calliper and drop loadcell in that to be sqeezed, then maybe use rubber to soften the sqeeze ect... it might feel right as it uses the hydraulic system.
    brake lever gsxr.JPG

hope to get some good feedback for this im very tempted.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    You might find the pressure is excessive when using an actual hydraulic caliper. It could end up crushing the load cell especially if you have your foot on the piston as opposed to using your hand to squeeze.
    If you can get the parts really cheap I'd still try it out, nothing wrong with experimentation and the experience with the process.
  3. pipis2015

pipis2015 over-boost

Balance:
    10,248Coins
    Ratings:
    +270 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    You can also try bicycle hyd brakes.
    Cheaper and weaker.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    I was also thinking the pushbike brakes too but i am not sure a loadcell would fit as i don't have a load cell so as i have them both i could try either.
    its mainly about the idea and was hoping if it was far too much pressure can it not be fitted pressure control valve or like i was thinking some soft rubber that squashes aand gives abit so it not so hard on the loadcell.

i will most likely order a loadcell next month it would be ace if it works.
  5. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    i was also thinking a bias brake adjuster valve to bring the pressure down to the caliper but brake pedal stay the same and have a hydraulic type feel to which i was hoping to get from this.
    ive found a 50kg loadcell on ebay thats £8.99 and is supposedly the same as the v2 pedals loadcell.
    it might be better i try and find one thats even higher kg for the job its being used for.
    does that sound better and do anyone know if theres one small enough with bigger force than 50kg
  6. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
  7. f1iceman

Balance:
    791Coins
    Ratings:
    +390 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, SCN5
    wonder if my mum will miss her scales if they go missing or suddenly stop working ;-) ( he he he ! now thats a plan )
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. Ben V

Ben V Member

Balance:
    181Coins
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    As someone who rides bicycles a lot, most of which have hydraulic disc brakes, I would recommend against using the bicycle brakes. On bicycles, everything is made to be very lightweight, so they're not very strong. My brakes are designed to stop effectively with only one finger on the lever, so foot pressure would be well beyond their capacity. Also, I don't think they'd provide that "hydraulic feel" that you're after.

That bias brake adjuster valve sounds like a good idea to reduce the pressure on the load cell if necessary. If you're near an auto wrecker, older vans and trucks (pre-4 wheel anti-lock brakes) often have a valve that controls pressure applied to the rear brakes based on suspension height. It's designed so that you get stronger rear brakes when you have a heavier load in the back. You could probably get one of them much cheaper than ordering a purpose designed valve, though the range of adjustment is a lot narrower.

(P.S. If you want to experiment with bicycle brakes, there's about 10 mm of room between the pistons on the caliper that you could try to fit a load cell into. Some of the cheaper brakes have a piston on only one side, so you could modify them for additional clearance.)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its for the G27, but I found a spring that happened to be just the right length to slot in with the existing spring. So I can touch the pedal just a bit, but more brakes require more leg effort.
    Like its very stiff. Kinda a bit like some of the brakes in cars I have tested.