1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Motorbike Simulator - Good or Bad idea?

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Barry, Mar 20, 2014.

1. mgill4bu

mgill4bu Member

Balance:
    156Coins
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, JRK, Joyrider
    Cool Idea! we looked at making one that could be used with like a custom TRON racing simulation. Good luck!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. yeniuser

yeniuser Member

Teacher
    Balance:
    313Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Real isue is that without stepping on the floor , navigating the motorbike tomake someone feel the reality.
  3. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Sorry, what do you mean by stepping on the floor?
    They should just keep their feet on the footpegs, same as a normal bike. The frame would be spring to return to center.
  4. yeniuser

yeniuser Member

Teacher
    Balance:
    313Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yes thats what i exactly suggest. All navigation left or right must be done by the driver's weight. In addition this, centrifugal force should be considered by using an aditional motor.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cvetan Cvetanov

Cvetan Cvetanov Member

Balance:
    1,462Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    I think this will be very nice but it is complicated to make steering work like on real bike.
  6. Stealthelius

Stealthelius Member Gold Contributor

Office Clerk
    Balance:
    106Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hi
    This is also a nice (no motion) motorbike simulator DIY

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. djkc

djkc Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    Man I want a motion bike sim so bad.

Allen from Double Dragon Custom Cycles has a nice set of controls that can be custom made with whatever real life motorbike handle bar, grips ect that you want. he also has a range of 3D printed foot pedals.

I spoke to him about converting his system to motion and he really wants to get involved.

https://plus.google.com/ IASystemsComputerControls

Contact Allan here Double Dragon Custom Cycles Phone 01322 402668 Online Contact Info doubledragoncc Website http://double-dragon-custom-cycles.8m.com
    20150713_124815.jpg 20150713_130345.jpg 20150715_154452.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  8. djkc

djkc Member

Balance:
    94Coins
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    More Pictures
    MK2-1.jpg MK2-3.jpg MK2-6.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. trust928

trust928 Member

Balance:
    435Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 3 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    kind creative, but the first vids motorbike sim, its a nice idea with real motobike cover, im interested in that too
  10. Stealthelius

Office Clerk
    Balance:
    106Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    The motorbike simulator it's a very interesting project IMO because it's a unusual and challenging project. Good luck @djkc :thumbs
  11. skano ca

skano ca tH3 bR1igHt3st star 1n the c0nst3llat10n HydRa

engineer
    Balance:
    102Coins
    Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF
    so cool to have bike sim rig, i will suggest this thread to my friend whose very love riding bike
  12. cazsan

cazsan Member

Programmer
    Balance:
    444Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    It'd really nice to have a Moto simulator. I'm following this thread close too
  13. Demitsuri

Demitsuri New Member

Balance:
    244Coins
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hello! Any news from topic starter? Im star similar project, may be have some advice form TS?
  14. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    For realism the best pivot is at the point of the wheels/tyres so the bike will pivot at the bottom. The base will be wide or heavily weighted. It'll alsoThe return mechanism will be 2 torsional springs in the barrel of the base. Not linear mounting as these simply won't work. The motors for dof will be one at the back suspension, one at the front suspension and one for traction loss. This will give you pitch, and yaw and obviously roll on a motorbike is a different thing.

Controls - potentiometers for analogue control for leaning left and right on the main pivot point at the bottom, Additional turning can be added to this via a secondary potentiometer on the handlebars but the front wheel will be fixed as it doesn't need to move. The top of the forks and handlebars can still turn by being cut in half and a bearing fitted to pivot it in the middle just above the wheel.

Gear changes, and brakes - obviously a micro switch in the gear lever and a potentiometer on the brakes.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Stealthelius

Office Clerk
    Balance:
    106Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    how do you think to do a motorbike simulator with 2 wiper motors ? :grin:grin:grin
  16. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Because of the weights involved I'm not sure a wiper motor would be suitable. The reason is the torque needed. To increase realism the travel on the front and rear suspension would have to be significantly more than a wiper motor diameter so that would involve levers which will decrease torque. For example, to simulate a wheelie you'd want about 12" travel at the front if possible which is a lot more travel that most driving simulators on here.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. feewel

feewel

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good project, I wanted to make a bike simulator also but I finally started on a car, We'll see later for the bike.
    I will follow your project. Good luck.
  18. teeds

teeds Member

Balance:
    590Coins
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Good to see someone tackling this. Made myself a bike controller that works well but considered the movement side of things beyond reach, maybe not. Interesting to hear how you're planning it. Do you intend to use counter steering input at all or have you considered that an acceptable compromise?
    I wonder how some of the bike rigs in the videos achieved the tilt weighting or resistance?

Good luck with it Barry and others.
  19. Barry

Barry Active Member

Web Developer
    Balance:
    3,877Coins
    Ratings:
    +251 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    The steering input is something which will be configurable I hope via the use of the pots but in all honesty, it's not a major part of it. I think it'll completely overcomplicate it trying to get too much input from the steering.

The lean/tilt will be a torsional spring. I've thought of 2 different ways to mount it, but I need to test to see what works well.
  20. Vo0zie

Vo0zie New Member

Balance:
    38Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys,
    I thought about motosim from many years I ride on motorcycle in RL but sim would be a great thing for a winter season, for good moto sim we also need a proper software I only found one simulator, not a game it's called fastbike from dynamotion it's used by motorcycle companies, very advanced software so it's perfect for projects with force feedback. In previously posted videos with different motorbike simulators I've noticed a one major problem, very slow side movement when you try to lean to one side or try back from it again to straight position because there is no centrifugal force like on real motorcycle, to reduce that problem we need to mount in our sim a counterweight or proper spring system, I've tested in once a couple years ago on small scale and it's worked very well a feeling was almost like on a real motorcycle. A second problem, when you try to lean to one side you can just slide off from a seat, again there is no centrifugal force, so I think about harness, good rubber band and a rope, for now I doesn't see any other solution than just mount yourself to the frame, it's very "dirty" solution but it should fool our brains, and of course we don't fall off from seat.
    • Like Like x 1