1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Stepper motor FFB wheel help

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by AlexWilmot, Apr 4, 2015.

1. AlexWilmot

AlexWilmot New Member

Balance:
    276Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Hi Guys

I see the sim wheel diy's have servo motors, what about using a stepper motor instead?
    Im in the process of building everything myself, have the pedals and shifters made(ex electronics) and want to limit the amount of money spent on electronics, what would be the components needed to have a stepper motor ffb wheel?

any advice or comments or contributing information is gladly accepted
  2. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,416Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    As far I have seen DIY wheels cost US$ ~1500 all parts included. The unit price of PM Servo Motor cost US$245 EXW per piece. Now I ask you where you want to save the money?
  3. AlexWilmot

AlexWilmot New Member

Balance:
    276Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Can I not use a stepper motor instead of the servo motor?
  4. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,416Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  5. AlexWilmot

AlexWilmot New Member

Balance:
    276Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino
    Ahh ok thanks for the info, looks like servo is best so will have to save up, for now ill just use an ancient logitech momo wheel and run my pedals and shifter
  6. Dusko Dogandzic

Dusko Dogandzic New Member

Balance:
    456Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    nice explanation in this video
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. RufusDufus

RufusDufus Well-Known Member

Balance:
    15,644Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,009 / 8 / -1
    There is no reason a stepper motor can't be used however as far as I know there are no "published" DIY wheels using steppers as yet.

I recently started experiments to try and build a low cost sim wheel using steppers but still early days and testing is going slow at the moment: Refer here - http://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/son-of-opensimwheel-an-experiment.7422/#post-87860 As/if I get useful results I will update and post code and hardware etc... at the moment not much use.

I don't have one but from what I have read the accuforce wheel uses a stepper.
  8. Dusko Dogandzic

Dusko Dogandzic New Member

Balance:
    456Coins
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    im gonna follow ur project :)