1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Server Psu + battery

Discussion in 'Electronic and hardware generally' started by Simon_lebel, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Simon_lebel

Simon_lebel Member

Balance:
    157Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, 4DOF
    It may have been already covered but, I have two psu out of a server that shut down under stress. All i have to do is unplug and plug them back. Would it be a good choice to put a battery in parallel with the supply output? No need for a basic dc lesson, i'm a electrodynamics technician but still i don't know the answer... A charger is not only a supply, i think the voltage has to be a little bit higher than the battery, right? If you guys think it would work, how big does it have to be? I have some ups 12v battery maybe i could use them...

Thanks hope somebody can help me
  2. Ville Pesonen

Ville Pesonen Active Member

Balance:
    829Coins
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    I had the same problem as you have. I resolved it by adding 27000uF capacitor parallel to the psu. I think that a battery would work also but I have no idea of the size needed. Maybe a motorcycle/car battery would work.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes, just unplug the PSU from the battery after use
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. matthewdtwo

matthewdtwo New Member

Balance:
    287Coins
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Some large electrolytic capacitors would do the trick as well. The kind most often used in car audio would be a good choice, but any decently sized (>10,000uF) would help out a bit. If you do want to go the battery route, I'd recommend a blocking diode in series between the PSU and battery to keep it from feeding back in when the PSU is turned off. There is likely some internal protection, but diodes are cheaper than PSUs so I wouldn't risk it.
    • Informative Informative x 1