1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Tutorial "HPMC" High Power Motor controller H-bridge using N-MOSFETs

Discussion in 'Motor actuators and drivers' started by speedy, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Nur

Nur New Member

Balance:
    36Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    I have a 24V motor.
  2. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Yes ... that's a difference and thanks for pinning that out ...
    I recommend you using the values in the silkscreen as I did and they are the updated ones ...
    Especially the [yellow ] bootstrap capacitors ... Look at this post for help too ...

I didn't test it with 24v motor but the HPMC can handle that ... the only modification needed for 24v or any other voltage rating is using the same voltage cooling Fan as it is powered from the motor supply voltage .
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  3. Nur

Nur New Member

Balance:
    36Coins
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, Arduino, JRK, 4DOF
    And thank you! Let's try and 24v ;)
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
  4. Atlas974

Atlas974 old school

Physics chemestry
    Balance:
    358Coins
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
  5. André Vasconcelos

André Vasconcelos Member

Engenharia mec.
    Balance:
    61Coins
    Ratings:
    +18 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor, Arduino, SimforceGT
  6. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Hey do you have PCB or gerber files? I have access to altium 10 and a PCB router and wouldnt mind making a few of these.

Cheers
  7. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I'm using Sprint layout and I can export the gerber files for you if you like ...
    But to keep it simple ... If you or anyone have problems in etching the boards ...
    you can use many online etching service companies .
    Just search Google for "PCB etching service " that is near to you ...
    They can use the A4 provided pdf layout to get you the boards ready .
    :cheers
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  8. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I would like the gerber files if that's ok with you.
    I was thinking of making a three in one board rather than making three separate boards.
    In my workplace I have access to a PCB router and can make boards myself.
  9. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Alexey ...
    Ok, But they will stay a 2DOF separate H-bridge circuits ...
    So, what is the benefits from having them in one big board ?
  10. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Sorry I'm still quite new to the world of electronics, I read that each board is for a single motor. So with three boards I could control my 3dof platform with three motors. By placing three drivers on one board I can use one large heat sink with find and blow across the drivers to make a more slimline driver to fit it in my case.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  11. fermevc

fermevc Member

Networking and telecomunication
    Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Nice design and layout idea!!:thumbs
    I was wondering if you managed to make a schematic of whole circuit, it would be nice to see it.
    I know that a lot of info can be found in Application Notes as you've suggested, but I'm curious about 74HC08N connections and the way of controling the H-bridge from uC, sorry if I missed that.
    I'm trying to figure out how to use only two lines from uC (PWM and DIR inputs).
    Thanks in advance and BR, Igor
  12. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    So Sorry @Alexey ... As I'm working on the main file for more updates to go 400 v DC with the Universal AC motors ...
    I found that I didn't make a backup file for this HPMC current version [only the photos and the pdf files are there ].
    I'm sure you still can find a way to sum all the three required circuits as you desire under one large heat sink ... And yes it is for one motor "My mistake " sorry again .

regards
  13. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Igor ...

The 74hc08 as you may know is a Quad 2-input AND gate IC ... It's inputs are the right, left, and PWM signals from the uC ... I used it to give me these outputs so far :
    1- PWM modulated right side signal .
    2- PWM modulated left side signal .

484432592_031.jpg

I saw many different concepts in making a full H-bridge from the IRF2110 and I guess that using only two lines will take you to the risky side of operation ...
    I've tried many schismatics programs but fail to export images or find even the required components ... any suggestions ?

Regards
  14. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Cheers speedy, I've been buried with other work at the moment and this was going to be an educational side project that I don't have time for anymore which is why I have not yet followed it up. I'll probably just end up using the PDF and going from there.

Cheers
    • Like Like x 1
  15. fermevc

fermevc Member

Networking and telecomunication
    Balance:
    5,956Coins
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Speedy, thanks for fast response!
    I'm looking at IR2110 + IRF3205 combination for very long time, but I want to try to PWM only low side FET, while keeping matching high side FET constantly on for given motor direction. I'm sure this can be done using some logic gates, but haven't found the solution yet :(. I'll keep on trying and post the results for evaluation.
    Given the fact that I'm mainly planning to play with SW part of motion control (to learn), I've ordered dual BTS7970 board and in mean time I'll use my good old Thanos's DSHb and hook it up to Arduino ;)
    Keep up the good work !!!

EDIT: Finally I've undestood the use of 74HC08. I agree it is safer to use 3 lines (one PWM and two for DIR). Thanks!
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  16. carsten

carsten New Member

Balance:
    510Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    Speedy, sorry I was busy with other things... Only now back. Short question. Can you use this board to run a motor constantly? (as of now, I have only managed to keep it on for a couple of seconds). what changes are needed to run the motor constantly. (I am thinking to use it in a different application where I control motor speed and direction via PCM that comes from an arduino board. What PWM signal should I use?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings Carsten
  17. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Maybe you have a defective IR2110 [check that first ] ,Or use a single side boards for top and bottom layers as suggested before making some air gap to prevent the little interference between layers ...
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  18. carsten

carsten New Member

Balance:
    510Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi Speedy,
    I have rebuilt the whole circuit.... This time I have:
    - separated the boards
    - replaced all my IR2110 and other components
    ... and it is still not working.
    (Pls see the top board only as a demo as the IR 3205 sit in a water cooled setup as this whole thing is for driving ROV motors underwater...(hence I need 4 of these)

I connect the to board to a clean 12V source and the motor outlets to a normal 12V DC motor.

I have VCC to +5 Volt (clean, not from Arduino)
    GND to GND
    PWM to GND
    both DIR to GND

when I now connect either of the DIR to +5V and take out the PWM from GND, the motor starts and the LED goes on. If I connect it to +5V (as you show in your Youtube Video, it goes off again). The motor does not run constantly, it pulsates at about 1Hz. Same when changing the DIR's. Both directions show the same result.

Somehow I have the feeling that it is related to the bootstrap capacitors... but I have no clue on that issue. I have tried to read up on it for the last couple of days, but without any luck. The capacitors I am using are electrolyte. (As you have suggested in an earlier post, I should use 47uF and 470uF when posting this at an earlier stage with a similar problem. The problem stays even if I use 47uF for both...)

As I need 4 of these controllers for a very reliable operation, I am interested to fix the issue. You can see that this is dragging along quite a bit as I have no clue of electronics.

At the end of the day I want to control the whole board via an Arduino. What frequency for the PWM should I use.

I am very thankful for any suggestions I can get on this...Any idea??

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG
    • Like Like x 1
  19. carsten

carsten New Member

Balance:
    510Coins
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Speedy,

one short question on the Bootstrap capacitor calculations:

For
    Qg = 40 nC
    f = 980 Hz as per normal PWM Arduino default
    Icbs = 10 nA
    Iqbs = 230 u A = 230 000 n A (as per Data sheet)
    Vf = 0.3 V
    Vls = 2 A x 8 m Ohm = 0.016 V (2A is the max my motor can draw for this little test) rest Datasheet
    Vmin = same as Vls = 0.016 V
    Qls = 5 nC

C>= 2 ( 2 x 40 nC + 230000 nA / 980 Hz + 5 nC + 10 nA / 980 Hz) / (12V - 0.3V - 0.016V - 0.016V) = 54.65 uF (for the 980 Hz) and 95.03 uF (for the 490 Hz Arduino)

Does that mean I have to exchange the 47 uF capacitors i have currently on the board with ones lets say 56 uF or am I working the formula wrongly?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings
    • Like Like x 1
  20. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Hi @carsten Good job First of all ...
    Interesting weird project you have there ;)

So Please Note :
    • You have to handle the New IR2110 with very good care and accuracy because they have a very sensitive MOSFETs inside and any missing up with it can severely damage the IC causing it to heat up .
    • These 1K Ohm resistors added between the input signal connector and the 7408 IC are for pulling down the direction signals to ground to prevent the described shoot through case in the video ... so don't worry any more just connect the PWM to +5/Arduino directly first then apply +5 v to direction wires second to move the motor .
    • Since this is the first time I see the top board ... this PTC may limit the current provided to the IR2110 for fast charging the Bootstrap ... use a 1A fuse/resistor instead .
    IMG_0505.jpg
    • Formula is Fine :thumbs as it determines ONLY the minimum capacitor to be used IF you have any power consumption restrictions ... So you may use bigger capacitors C> for both frequencies ... go for the 220uF/25v or bigger as long as the IR2110 is properly powered " Third point " .
    • I remember suggesting you separating the boards to avoid interference ... But these long green wires may cause a decay in the GATE driving signals going to MOSFETs ... PLUS ... I don't know what will happen operating MOSFETs under water :confused: .
    I hope you succeed into this ...
    Test and keep me informed with results as possible please .
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015