1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Beginning a 2 DOF Seat Mover Build

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by WhiteGoblin, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Nick Moxley

Nick Moxley Well-Known Member

Owner/Operator- Moxleys Rantals
    Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Nope Not worth the hassle.
  2. WhiteGoblin

WhiteGoblin Member

Balance:
    549Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    In that case I'm pretty excited. Just a few welding incidentals are left such as the motor brackets and shoulder brackets. I'll get more pics up in the next few days.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WhiteGoblin

WhiteGoblin Member

Balance:
    549Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    First test for the chair with Elite: Dangerous. The motion is set to 40% with some smoothing just to test the axis.

Next steps:
    Tightening up the system, installing jam nuts on the motor arms, looking into tightening up pot linkages, etc.
    Shortening the frame, as there's 1.5 feet of unneeded frame past the motors
    Sanding and painting

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  4. WhiteGoblin

WhiteGoblin Member

Balance:
    549Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Painted, got it in my office, and got the settings down pat. Its pretty awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Interesting video, is the video capture lagging or whats up with that ?.....Also I would not suggest basing your "default" profile off of a Go kart. Something more generic then you have the Profile editor to fine tune each vehicle/track combo.
  6. WhiteGoblin

WhiteGoblin Member

Balance:
    549Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Yeah its poor capture quality. I'll try and get a better video. I didn't base settings off the kart, that's just what i happened to be doing in career mode. The forces are much more subdued with full size vehicles and more crazy with karts, which is to be expected.
  7. WhiteGoblin

WhiteGoblin Member

Balance:
    549Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Better video:
  8. WhiteGoblin

WhiteGoblin Member

Balance:
    549Coins
    Ratings:
    +38 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Quick question: with 25:1 gearboxes, is some slop in the gearbox expected? The chair has a significant amount of movement and it is coming directly from the gears. Would 60:1 with longer arms reduce the slop? Also that would provide a greater range of motion, yes?
  9. Nick Moxley

Balance:
    17,054Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,504 / 30 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes some gear box slop is expected, How much are we talking about here ? No 60:1 would technically still have a small amount of gear slop as with the 25:1, No it would not provide a greater range of motion.
    • Informative Informative x 1