1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

OpenSimWheel instead of T500RS - yes or no?

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by Pit, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,416Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I like racing. I like my rig, I like my DIY pedals (there are better pedals, anyway), I like my T500RS but I think I could like over all a DD wheel. I would like to go the DIY route, so the OSW would be more than only a nice try. That nice try costs much money, so I am afraid if I spend so much bucks I am disappointed after all in comparison with the T500RS AND Assetto Corsa. I have heard many things about DD and AC, but not only the very best.
    Ans suggestions or advises from my DIY friends on xsimulator.net?
  2. abs

abs Active Member Gold Contributor

consultant
    Balance:
    784Coins
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, SCN5
    hello , DD is so much better . I had a G27 arc , G25 arc and before g25 and i can tell you the arc mods where impressive. when i switched to DD (accuforce) it was more impressive . I could drive better and catch a lot better slides as the reactivity increased tremendesly.
    Now i am pretty used to it and cound not go back
    going OSW is wise and challenging . If i had to do it again i would go OSW mige at first and go down the road with a more expenisve motor (lenze)....
  3. ericRacer

ericRacer You get old because you stop playing ! Gold Contributor

Pilot
    Balance:
    989Coins
    Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, Arduino, Motion platform
    Hi @Pit ,

I have a OSW and I love it, no other wheel attracts me now.:thumbs

Is it worth investing that much money for this wheel?
    It's hard to say, yes for me because I had a G27. I know a T500RS is a very good wheel but DD is an excellent / ultimate wheel!

With OSW, there are some things to know who'll help you possibly make a decision.

- No guarantee from the manufacturer, it may be disturbing to some. But, against, you do not have to wait after them, you can fix thyself, an advantage for the other.

- Another important point is the resale value, I do not think losing money by selling a DD, maybe even make it!

- Sustainability, probably the last wheel as you have!

With AC I had some bored at first. I had a wobble when I was driving in a straight line and it was more pronounced with some other car, especially with the P4 / 5 Competizione. I think it comes mostly from the games with the SAT (self aligned torq) far too high.:(
    http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/self-aligning-torque-sat-why-so-high.19485/

But hey, it's like with any wheel at the beginning to play with the settings a few days / weeks.
    with this game, I have to lower the gain of the FFB at 45-50%, otherwise I think he has a spring back effect too pronounced.

I hope it'll help you :cool:

edit : OSW = no.1
    • Useful Useful x 2
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  4. Pit

Balance:
    30,416Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    @ericRacer thank you so much for your helpful impressions. IMO the T500RS is already a great wheel, probably two classes under a DD but a good wheel anyway. Decisive for me AC support is the most important factor, a DD (which is way undoubtedly better from the technological view) which is not "fully" supported yet by AC compared with the T500RS the worth of cost is comprehensible (not to forget the shipping and customs to th EU)...I lag to buy NOW a DD (eg. the Accuforce) in that case. Nobody here is using a DD near to me? ;)
    :think
  5. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    @Pit: come to the sea at Marseille! I'll let you try my RFR Mige direct drive!

by the way, the new R3E is glorious with the DIY wheel :grin
  6. Pit

Balance:
    30,416Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Merci pour l’invitation! :)
  7. Aris

Aris New Member

Balance:
    124Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the same boat - I have a CSW (v1) and thinking to upgrade to an OSW (RFR Mige direct drive).
    The only thing that stops me for now is the excessive transport and vat fees for the Mige motor which more than doubles the price...:(
    • Like Like x 1
  8. bberger

bberger Member

Balance:
    306Coins
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    If you're into DIY (which you probably are if you're active on this forums.. :D) then I'd say go for it. From a performance perspective you won't be disappointed and with the AC 1.2 update last night and the new gyro ffb AC is a joy too.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1