1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY Steering wheel

Discussion in 'SimTools compatible interfaces' started by racerjohnbf, Feb 6, 2011.

1. racerjohnbf

racerjohnbf New Member

Balance:
    3Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone on here built their own steering wheel? How difficult is it to build one?
  2. Frakk

Frakk Active Member

Balance:
    328Coins
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I will assume you want to build a FFB wheel, and not just a controller. If you just want a controller you can find existing joystick controllers such as the MJoy.

I haven't seen a completed ffb wheel project, but there are a couple ongoing ones (I don't know if they are still being completed).

Your question suggests to me that you don't know what it takes to complete such a project. In that case it will be very difficult.

If you just want to re-build an existing steering wheel with stronger motors, stronger gears, bearing and mechanical parts, it won't be that difficult, but you have to be good at designing, making metal parts and have a good understanding of electronics in order to make the modification.

Further more if you are looking to control this steering wheel by X-Sim, you are looking into a very long list of challenges and it will be much more difficult, impossible without a lot of experience in programming and electronics.

The last option is to use electronics from an existing wheel for the inputs, and use a second set of electronics for the force feedback.
  3. racerjohnbf

racerjohnbf New Member

Balance:
    3Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Frakk. Right now I'm hoping to just build a non FFB wheel with about 720 degrees of rotation. You are absolutely correct in that I don't know what it takes to complete the project but I am fairly mechanically inclined and I'm hoping with help from the knowledgable people on here I may be able to do it.
  4. tantragna

tantragna New Member

Currently unemployed! Starting with stock trading
    Balance:
    348Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now which interfacing controller is being used in this project. I would also be seriously interested in building one too!
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You may be best looking for a Logitech Driving Force pro or GT wheel second hand and through the settings , turning off FFB. Or opening the case up and disconnecting the wires. Simple but effective.
  6. Darkhanbaatar

Darkhanbaatar New Member

Balance:
    - 6Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, 4DOF
    hi guys i build ffb wheel and that is very difficult and i completed mechanical parts and i'll trying stepper motor nema23, stepper driver and connect to pc use arduino or stepper board. i believe ffb steering wheel will complete soon. i have problem now Mjoy don't work and i'm trying many type schematic all of them don't work
  7. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,875Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,079 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    It's hard to help you... @Darkhanbaatar
    Could you share more information about your work on progress?
    Pictures, version of Mjoy? Schematics
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015