1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

DIY head tracker

Discussion in 'DIY peripherals' started by xStouf, Jul 7, 2015.

1. xStouf

xStouf New Member

Balance:
    544Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Hi,

I designed and built my own head tracker, based on a Arduino Micro 5v and a gy-80 10 DOF IMU.
    I'd like to build a wireless version, but before, I'd like to know if people are interested in this kind of product, as I'm willing to market it.

It will be 3 parts : the IMU device, fixed on the headphones, a "universal sender" which will allow to convert USB input peripherals to wireless, and the receiver part, plugged inside a USB port.
    The IMU device will be battery powered (with AA or AAA batteries) and will support 100Hz positioning frequency.
    The headtracker protocol is HATIRE compatible, and could be used out of the box with FaceTrackNoir.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. Blame73

Blame73 Well-Known Member

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,105 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Could you post a video please?
    I use FaceTrackNoIR with just the PS3 Eye and the FaceTrack software with no problem
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,890Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,083 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I use the same setup with satisfaction (5€ total cost)
    @xStouf: congrats for your design! that's impressive!
    what is the cost of your solution?
    did you know the PS3Eye setup and did you benchmark it with your design?

Indeed, a video could give more information. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. xStouf

xStouf New Member

Balance:
    544Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Here are some videos taken ingame with the actual wired tracker. You could see it is very accurate and speed is very good. I could follow an enemy without a problem. Please condiderate I was playing on a 15.4 laptop screen, so I tuned it for a large movement when I'm moving my head only a few degrees.

I tried to play Elite: Dangerous without it, but it's not possible anymore, it's working too well :)
    Before working on it, I was using camera IR tracking, but I was not happy with it : too slow, not working well in night, even with an IR modded camera. I tried with XBOX360 and PS3 Eye cameras but was not happy with it. So I designed one with a proper IMU, that perfectly works in night.
    Cost for the wired version is ~10$, cost for the wireless version would be around 30$ I believe.

The first video I made, when the tracker was not really calibrated yet, and curves were not fine tuned.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Blame73

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,105 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I, and maybe @RacingMat too, meant a video in 3rd person where we can see you while using the facetracker
  6. xStouf

xStouf New Member

Balance:
    544Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Yes, I suspected this :)
    I will upload one once I have done it, maybe tonight. My head + screen is not easy to capture :)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. xStouf

xStouf New Member

Balance:
    544Coins
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Arduino, 6DOF
    Here it is ! :)

It was not easy, my camera is overheating when capturing in 1080p ^^
    But I had time to show pitch yaw and roll before the thermal shut down ! Very precise, isn't it ?
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Blame73

Balance:
    8,255Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,105 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Nice. Really accurate, also considering the low light
  9. h106frp

h106frp New Member

Balance:
    117Coins
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Have you checked out the EDTracker?, a very similar project to yours that is already commercially available. I have one and i have to say inertial tracking is much better (more accurate) than any of the optical infra red devices i have tried.
  10. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    283Coins
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    EDTracker works really well, it can be assembled by yourself.
    • Like Like x 1