1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Showroom **RIP** - 6DOF project using 12v DC Motors, Sabertooth 2x60's (was MM's) and Arduinos + OSW

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by SilentChill, Jun 2, 2015.

1. bruce stephen

bruce stephen Hammer doesnt fix it, must be electrical

general contractor
    Balance:
    9,110Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,237 / 9 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    The jrk's also use the vnh2sp30. Same chip. Just crappy vendor. Who knows, that stock may have never passed inspection/quality control.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  2. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Just because an IC has vnh2sp30 marked on it does not necessarily mean that it is legitimate. Chances are the Chinese MM’s use counterfeit or cloned chips and are not using original chips made by STMicroelectronics, a French/Italian company. You should be okay when using Pololu Jrks or Sparkfun’s MM’s but you are going to have to pay more than $15-$20 if you want the real thing!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. telfel

telfel Active Member

Balance:
    4,735Coins
    Ratings:
    +118 / 3 / -0
  4. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    I have tested them, they work on 12v but not on 24v. Easy to configure and cheap. I donno how they are limited by Amps at least.
  5. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    @telfel yes they look like a good option possibly but we would need 4 per motor still not too bad priced but they have the lower VNH3SP30 rather than the VNH2SP30

I've been looking at other options too

https://www.pololu.com/product/708 they are the same as an MM really although quite expensive.

or i could repair all the boards I have manually with these http://uk.farnell.com/stmicroelectronics/vnh2sp30-e/ic-driver-motor-h-bridge/dp/1739418

Think I may just replace chips as most of the boards 1 side is fully working.
  6. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    There might be an issue with repairing these boards as the chip has heat pads underneath the chip. Taking off the chip would be trivial at most but re soldering the chip would be quite a task as you would have to use a heat gun to heat up the chip to around 180 ~ 220 degrees to flow the solder underneath the chip. Using solder paste would make life easy but there is still the danger of de-laminating the board in the process. Usually these boards would be passed through a vapor-phase or re-flow oven not done by hand.

I had thought about making a DIY version of the monster moto but the heat pads would make this beyond an average persons ability. Personally I could do this but it wouldn't benefit the community unless I made all the boards myself which is unrealistic. I think speedy's motor driver would be the go to option in the realms of DIY.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  7. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @Alexey I have just made 2 working out of 4 :) swapped bad for good on either boards. Got a lot more to test see how many decent chips I can use.

I'm good with a heat gun and some flux ;)

The thing is some these chinese ones have no solder under the chip on the 3 pads at all ?!?!? These are proper just shite cheap lol.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, AC motor, Arduino, Motion platform
    Whaaaaat ? :eek:
    These pads mainly are for the Vcc and the motors connections big Amp .

000003_Motor-VNH.jpg VNH3SP30-pinout.jpg
    What on earth they are selling ? where is the QC they are talking about ?

AHHHHH , Then I recommend you to rework them again with a solder past and see ... I'm sure now they will all work :thumbs .
    Good luck :cheers.

edit:
    I found it here on Farnell Egypt with it's datasheet for further testing ...
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Wow @speedy didn't think to check the Datasheet just thought that they were for heat like @Alexey said.

I thought it was funny I could actually see right through underside of the chips from one side of the board to the other.

I'm wondering if the may all just need reflowing and perhaps why some are only driving at half power ? I don't know ?

There is deffo serious production control issues going on in China that's for sure.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    @SilentChill ... They are for heat dissipation as @Alexey said :thumbs but not for totally cooling the chip. It still need a heatsink above it ...
    And, This question should be asked to the Chineses ?
    Where do you think the main power big amps terminals for supply and motors are connected to in this tiny legs chip ?
    WE have to be Extra payed for this information if they don't know it and still refuse to admit the faulty MM's .
    Untitled.png

Shoot photos and video and send them to Aliexpress to hold your ground on that error .

Edit:
    An easy quick test without removing chips ... press hard with your finger on top of each faulty MM while testing and see if it will work :grin .
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Thanks @speedy but all my attempts with AliExpress are wasted its a pointless waste of time. They replied to my escalated dispute saying that I have reported 1 item not working correctly ?? FFS I sent a video showing all 4 faulty they are not even looking at the evidence I have given them, all I would get is a 25% refund for 1 item which is about £1.70 lololol

This is the shite they have sent me

Dear Craig,
    Thank you for contacting AliExpress. This is AliExpress Case Management Team.

I am sorry that you didn’t get an amicablesolution from the seller regarding your order <67723017995330>. We will try our best to help you.

Please kindly understand that our mediation is on the basis that the evidence provided from both sides. If you failed to provide sufficient evidence eventually, AliExpress Case Management Team could not support your claim as requested.

Regarding your dispute about the order<67723017995330>, based on the current evidence provided in complaint centre, AliExpress can provide you the two following options, and we kindly invite you to choose one of them:

Option 1) 25% refund without returning goods. [We checked the information and supportive evidence you provided for this dispute, your claim about one piece of not working items has been accepted. According to the verified problem of the order, we can provide this partial refund option.

For other items, we need more evidence to verify the problem. Could you kindly provide a clear video to display all non-working items and validate the product problem within 3 calendar days? Please make sure your video is long and clear enough to show the product so that we can identify the problem.

You CAN supplement evidence, we will remediate this dispute once there is more sufficient evidence provided. Please check the helpful link (http://help.aliexpress.com/Gathering_evidence.html) to learn how to provide valid evidence. If your evidence (such as video) is larger than 2MB, you can upload it to Mediafire (http://www.mediafire.com/) and provide the link to us.]

Option 2) Return the goods for a full refund.

a). Return shipping cost: Please kindly note that if there is no agreement that seller pay the returning shipping fee, according to the return policy that seller set for this order, buyer may need to pay for the returning freight; thus a partial refund as compensation would be a better choice if you would like to keep the product that still has certain value.
    b). Return Address: If you choose this way, we will ask seller to provide the returning address. Please be aware that the returning address must be confirmed or provided by seller. If you send it to a wrong place, you will be responsible for the loss.

Please let us know your choice or other remarks within 3 calendar days. If you fail to choose or reach an agreement with seller before the deadline, we will close this dispute directly according to the option 1. If the seller provides valid counter evidence as response, we might update options you could choose.

Note: If you have already settled the dispute with seller, please kindly give a response in the complaint center so that we can be informed and follow this dispute based on the settlement.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and great cooperation.

Best regards,

AliExpress Case Management Team

Oh yeah for a full refund I will pay ££££ to send the stuff back just for them to say they never received it and then I get nothing, what a load of tools. 25% is a joke and only for 1 item grrrrrrrrr

Option 1) 25% refund without returning goods. [We checked the information and supportive evidence you provided for this dispute, your claim about one piece of not working items has been accepted. According to the verified problem of the order, we can provide this partial refund option.

I mean WTF is that all about 1 item ?? I give up I think my next message be just pure abuse at them as I will never use them again, its all ok if stuff works its just when you have issues your screwed well and truly !!

This is the 2nd seller im in dispute with as well not like this is a one off they are all the same buyer protection means absolutely nothing.
  12. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Nice find :thumbs. Unfortunately pushing hard may not always work as look at the gap under this one:eek:. (The bridge you can see to the left side of the chip is not solder under the chip, but the direction leds on the board before the chip) - it is just one big air gap:(. They are not all this bad, but it makes you wonder how they were tested for release and if they even know how these should be placed on a board. This seems to be a big issue for products coming out of China, they are great at just copying stuff, but often without the knowledge/understanding to go with it.

Motor Driver Chip air gap.jpg
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yeh that's really going no where. Plus, they sent you a video for testing a faulty MM as it is a good one :(...

as said :
    "You can BRING the horse to the water ... but you can't MAKE the horse drink"
    index.jpg

Now just give us the good news ... You have a big No. of followers here .:popcorn
    Android-KitKat-fingers-crossed.jpg
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Yes @SeatTime exactly the picture I was describing .

I'm hoping with the other 15 which are coming and the ones I have I may be able to reflow/repair/replace and maybe end up with 12 fully working bridges . Will have to see. Its quite possible that the pins aren't even soldered to the boards making them faulty and not powering properly. Anything is a possiblitly with these things.

Onwards and upwards as they say :)
  15. speedy

speedy Well-Known Member

Balance:
    7,916Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,285 / 10 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Nice find :thumbs too @SeatTime ...
    That's an evidence of a faulty MM as AliExpress require for all the MM's in one photo @SilentChill
    -They have air gap under the chip . So, it will shut down or damaged by "Chip Over temperature protection" ...
    As in datasheet these are the primarily thermal pads ... and clearly assigned in the datasheet these pads should be soldered too to give the 30A stated performance by the final assembled MM module ... Even in one working direction ... Especially "if @SilentChill would like to keep the product that still has certain value " .
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  16. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Yes I did try to reflow a couple of them with a heat gun and infrared temp meter, but with no success and if there is no solder under them, then this is not surprising.
  17. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Correct @SeatTime there is no solder at all :( its amazing how far this rabbit hole is going.

@speedy even if I showed the picture and have all the evidence for every motomonster all I would get back as a refund is 25% of value which just really isnt worth the hassle, thats how the get round everything, really poor business . They know that our rules dont count.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. tombo

tombo Active Member

Balance:
    2,436Coins
    Ratings:
    +246 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino
    Hello,
    I have used cheap MM on my first sim. after having many troubles i switched to the pololu one mentioned by Silentchill. This units maybe a little bit more expensive, but it worked like a charm. I don't got any issues. Only the pinout have tobe changed a little.
    Reading all this makes me sick of my new simulator project. Iordered 2 MM from china and testet them only with no load and Multimeter.
    Now the controllerbox is finished. I hope they will work under load too :(
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member

Electronics Technician
    Balance:
    8,060Coins
    Ratings:
    +620 / 2 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    WOW! There should be ZERO (near to) air gap with this chip. I would say all these cheaper monster motos have been hand assembled and thus why they are so cheap. I've looked at mine and I can't even fit a sheet of paper underneath.
    Is it just me or have those legs been re-bent? They look like they angle too far down giving that raised height.

It's a real shame that these types of traders can just get away with this kind of bullcrap.
  20. SilentChill

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,396Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Ok wonderful outcome ....not !!

I got 25% refund for 1 item . What a joke I left a load of poor feedback warning others from buying but it's not there its dissappeared .

They are crooks don't give aliexpress your money unless your willing to lose it.

That's all for now .....
    • Informative Informative x 1