1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

Does arduino clones work?

Discussion in 'New users start here - FAQ' started by wokcz, May 30, 2015.

1. wokcz

wokcz New Member

Balance:
    232Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I'm starting to plan to build a 2DoF sim (and maybe add traction loss in the future) using wiper motors. I've been lurking around the forum and got a pretty good idea of the mechanical parts. I may be able to get some car parts for free so I am now thinking about the electronic parts I'd need.

It looks like the basics would be an arduino uno and a motor driver. The thing is, in my country, they cost like x3 or x4 times the original prices, and imports are under heavy control from customs, not ony for taxes, sometimes you may not even get the package or would have to go through tedious bureaucracy to get it. But I always had good luck buying small stuff from chinese websites like dx dot com, plus I have some extra paypal I don't use and would like to spend.

I was browsing that site and found they don't have any original arduino, but I found this clone:

http://dx.com/p/uno-r3-development-...at-for-arduino-blue-black-215600#.VWjZ289VhBc

and this motor driver http://dx.com/p/monster-moto-shield-for-arduino-red-161274 which seems suitable for my 2 motors setup (not sure if this one is original or clone)

So my question would be, does someone knows if the XDRduino arduino clone would work combined with the MM for a 2 motors sim?
  2. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    They work for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wokcz

wokcz New Member

Balance:
    232Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply, I was worried they may have compatibility issues or something. I may be able to get my hands on an original one from italy anyway, but it's good to know I could some extra cheap ones for testing.
  4. SilentChill

SilentChill Problem Maker

Railway Maintenance
    Balance:
    20,402Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,480 / 34 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, Motion platform, 6DOF
    I use all clones of everything they work with no problems so far :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Avoid the one with CH340 mention: they requires an alternate specific driver...

IMO clones are good for testing (and burning boards!) but not always trustworthy:
    I have a NANO clone which cannot open the COM port at computer start and need to be unplugged and replugged...

FYI, @Wanegain has the same feedbacks

http://www.racingfr.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49341
    • Like Like x 1
  6. wokcz

wokcz New Member

Balance:
    232Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Omg you are the famous racingmat! haha, thanks for the info and for all the stuff you share. I think most of the materials I am gathering and saving for future reference when it's time to build, comes from you. Your tutorial is what made me decide I could do it this time, thanks a lot.
  7. Daguru

Daguru Rally drivers do it in the Dirt

Kitchen installer
    Balance:
    453Coins
    Ratings:
    +632 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Motion platform
    Got 2 UNOs and they both work fine.
    Arduino's are open source and designed to be copied that's what I was lead to believe anyway!
  8. RacingMat

RacingMat Well-Known Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    20,895Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,084 / 21 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    Thanks young Padawan! you're welcome

proud-young-padawan-you-made-me.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
  9. Mitchell

Mitchell Member

Balance:
    87Coins
    Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, Arduino
    I use an Nano from banggood, with the ch340 driver, got no problems using this :)