1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

videos of motor levers and pot gears

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Building Q&A / FAQ' started by bsft, Oct 29, 2013.

1. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I thought I would add this so people can see the lever working on a motor
    and the gears on the back of a motor bolt turning the pot for feedback
    All for reference.
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. StebanJigs

StebanJigs Member

electrician
    Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Are those Hall effect pots you are using there? If so what kind/ratings do they have?
  3. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nope, 5 k ohm 0.5 watt 3 multiturn pots , wired wound, from rs components. The gears I use allow about 1.8 turns of a 3 turn pot.
  4. StebanJigs

StebanJigs Member

electrician
    Balance:
    430Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Right on, thanks for the info.
  5. Nicko321

Nicko321 Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    @bsft do you just use bolts and do them up real tight as motor axles or should I have purchased axles with my motors? I am trying to get all parts collected before i start to build. Judging by most photos it looks like just bolts.

Cheers,
    Nick
  6. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, the 25:1 boxes have a hollow shaft, so I tighten the F@#^&K out of a 12mm bolt in it and then add a 5mm threaded screw thorough the gearbox shaft to hold it steady in case the bolt comes loose.
  7. Nicko321

Nicko321 Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @bsft you then drill a hole in the bolt head and directly place your pot into that. do you need loctite or anything in there? I have Hall effect pots as you have used on your builds. I have received my motors, JRK's, power supplies and pots and am currently just trying to work out the best way to actually build my rig. I will start a build thread soon, but found this thread and thought it is as good time as any to ask. Thanks for all your help.

Nick
  8. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In the bolt head, I drill a hole into it to sit the shaft of the pot, then I tap a 3mm bolt into the hex part to hold the shaft on with a 3mm bolt. Instead of trying to drill trough a hardened steel shaft.
    Oh and I dont use hall effects anymore.
    Just 360 deg single turn wire wound pots
  9. Nicko321

Nicko321 Member

Balance:
    288Coins
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Are the hall effects still ok? @bsft I must have missed the memo that had changed
  10. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes Hall effects are fine, but mine were 180 deg and I needed more range.
    Hence using pots now
  11. Bobsyouruncle187

Bobsyouruncle187 New Member

Balance:
    71Coins
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, AC motor, SCN6
    Thank you for this @bsft!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Agosky

Agosky New Member SimAxe Beta Tester Gold Contributor

Balance:
    307Coins
    Ratings:
    +13 / 1 / -0
    How much lever movement in degrees is ok, in your experience @bsft ?
    I'm thinking about linear movement speed, which ofc reduces when lever is not at 90 degrees to connecting rod. Is this "variable speed" noticeable at all?
  13. eaorobbie

eaorobbie Well-Known Member SimTools Developer Gold Contributor

CAD Detailer
    Balance:
    20,391Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,683 / 23 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, DC motor, JRK, SimforceGT, 6DOF
    Anything past 90 deg off movement is very noticeable as the sim moves very proportionally in the middle 90 deg and seems to only move a very little amount over the rest , actually resulting in massive losses of motion in those quadrants , as in the levers moving another 45 degs for maybe 1/2 a deg more movement in the actual chair.

I use 30 deg connecting rods with about 79 deg set , 39 deg up and 39 deg down. On 65mm c/c levers. so linear its 80mm movement and it deviates 3mm out of line, not noticeable at all. Plus test on the Jrks to make 80mm of movement in under 0.1sec, so super quick.
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1