1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

6 dof

Discussion in 'DIY Motion Simulator Projects' started by itaaronc, Apr 27, 2015.

1. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    If the model in your link was continuously rotating then he was not using Simtools. With simtools once you move from 360 degrees to 0 degrees it will not just move that one degree but 360 degrees in the opposite direction Ie back to 0. On a 'true' stewart platform all the forces are sent to a math model that then calculates where the six arms should be and sends the required data to drive the arms to that new position. Simtools does not work like that, treating each force separately, which can cause some accuracy issues with some of the arms positions in relation to some of the DOFs.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. itaaronc

itaaronc New Member

Balance:
    354Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    @SeatTime If I understand what he was doing correctly, I believe he was adding in his own lines of code to find the difference of degrees of rotation and rotate clockwise or counter clockwise by that amount, so thst when it approached a flip, that it could continue.(or something to that extent) I dont know if he was using simtools and altering it or if he was coding his own program from scratch. However he's working on the code so I dont know if it works for any practical purposes such as gaming.
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
  3. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 39 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    From his project thread, it seems he was using a Ard and some code he wrote himself that calculated the shortest distance to the next position to drive a stepper motor.
  4. dontcarefilmer

dontcarefilmer Member

Industrial Electrician
    Balance:
    363Coins
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Hey my ears are burning :D. You are right @SeatTime, the code in those videos does work in that fashion. However when I use the Simtools axis testing page (I can't recall it's name) then I can in fact do a full rotation when moving the slider quickly from -100% to 100%. I have not tested this on an actual game yet and so this aspect remains technically unproven, but when I get some more time I will give this a try and post a video. Hopefully it will be within the next 6 months...
  5. itaaronc

itaaronc New Member

Balance:
    354Coins
    Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0
    I've been reading through many threads and watching many tutorials and youtube videos of peoples stewart platforms. I'm trying hard to work it out on my own and not be a bother. That being said, one aspect that im unsure of is the software. As I understand it, there are three sim options out there; Ian hoppers BFF software, simtools, and simxperience's software. Would any of the simtools alternatives support 360+ degree sims and the math for a realistic stewart platform?

Also, matlab has released articles on the some of the mathematics involved in a stewart platform. If I am able to figure out the math could simtools still be used, or perhaps if a program could do the math and simtools can take the output of that program? (I recently saw a thread where 2 Belgium students did exactly that) I've also seen that simtools only supports 6 motors, which again leads me to wonder if that can be altered. Just some thoughts I have been working through. Other than the software part, I think I'm going to just follow along the lines of vulbas' reproduction of ckas. His stewart platform seems magnificently well done.
  6. MasterYoda

MasterYoda Active Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    322Coins
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, SCN5
    WOW! 360 roll is quite ambitious... Looking forward to this! :)