1. Do not share user accounts! Any account that is shared by another person will be blocked and closed. This means: we will close not only the account that is shared, but also the main account of the user who uses another person's account. We have the ability to detect account sharing, so please do not try to cheat the system. This action will take place on 04/18/2023. Read all forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For downloading SimTools plugins you need a Download Package. Get it with virtual coins that you receive for forum activity or Buy Download Package - We have a zero Spam tolerance so read our forum rules first.

Buy Now a Download Plan!
  3. Do not try to cheat our system and do not post an unnecessary amount of useless posts only to earn credits here. We have a zero spam tolerance policy and this will cause a ban of your user account. Otherwise we wish you a pleasant stay here! Read the forum rules
  4. We have a few rules which you need to read and accept before posting anything here! Following these rules will keep the forum clean and your stay pleasant. Do not follow these rules can lead to permanent exclusion from this website: Read the forum rules.
    Are you a company? Read our company rules

News FEEL-VR - universal, affordable for home use motion sim

Discussion in 'Commercial Simulators and Peripherie' started by Den Krutko, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Den Krutko

Den Krutko Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    364Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor
    I'm not trying, I'll make it) And I don't think user-friendly feature (such as that you don't have to adjust center of gravity every time gear configuration or person that use FEEL-VR changes) is a poor design.
    And what do you call bigger motors? Motors bigger than what? Do you know the size of motors I'm going to use?)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Den Krutko

Den Krutko Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    364Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor
    This is a FEEL-VR assembled bottom stand and servo part.

Now have only to connect top and bottom) And make drawings for production. And develop electronics and software)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Nice project for sure! BTW if you will use 1000W motors you do not need any springs...I can stand on the lever despite of the weight my 750W winches will turn
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SeatTime

SeatTime Well-Known Member

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    AC motor, Motion platform
    Nice CAD drawing of a chair with arm/seat rest. :thumbs, but I must be missing something, your responses to advice so far have been as follows:

'Concerning COG: I'll use 1000w 35 Nm motors, which are capable of 70 kg push force when recalculated with crankshaft. Also there will be compensatings springs, so I don't see real problem with COG and it's adjustment. Power consumption will be IMHO 10-20% more than balanced, but usability of such system when you don't have to readjust for different riders and gear is much higher.

Concerning VR headset integration - I'll dig into this when I'll have a prototype to test with.
    Thanks for support, looks like here is much of valuable info and great community, but concerning permissions - I don't currenty plan to use SimTools software at all for this project, and discovered this forum a week ago)
    So everything I did is not concerned with it yet. So can't figure out of what kind of permissions are everybody talking?

I'm not trying, I'll make it) And I don't think user-friendly feature (such as that you don't have to adjust center of gravity every time gear configuration or person that use FEEL-VR changes) is a poor design.
    And what do you call bigger motors? Motors bigger than what? Do you know the size of motors I'm going to use?)

o_O
    So you are not going to use Simtools and from your comments you certainly don't want any advice, that's fine, although I did not like the tone of your responses, but why are you here? I could guess ..but I will leave that up to the moderators to decide.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @SeatTime , he has posted on 2 other forums anyway. He wants to go commercial
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Pit

Pit - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Gold Contributor

Balance:
    30,409Coins
    Ratings:
    +3,088 / 31 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    DC motor, Arduino, 6DOF
    Commercial is not DIY, so we let him leave from our "workshop" :p
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    I figured as much, although as he seems to be not much of a 'people person', good luck to anyone who expects support for this 'product' if he ever develops it.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Al.Bundy

Al.Bundy Member

mechanic
    Balance:
    682Coins
    Ratings:
    +50 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, 3DOF, DC motor, JRK
    Just let him go on ! :popcorn all of this gives me so many ideas and makes me want to build one simular to his hahahaha :grin
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    when he has been through as many designs as me...............give me a call..........
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. SeatTime

Retired
    Balance:
    28,370Coins
    Ratings:
    +2,844 / 38 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    Apart from a pretty rendering I'm not seeing anything special or newo_O. At this stage it is a chair with adjustable arm and leg rests siting on a box with motors and electronics in it. If you want to see a better working example have a look at @noorbeast sim.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Den Krutko

Den Krutko Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    364Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor
    Thanks. I'm going to use direct drive motors without reduction gear, so don't think I could stand on them like you)
    Also power efficiency with springs will be higher.

I'm here because Nick Moxley have invited me to this forum.
    I appreciate any feedback concerning what i'm doing, but I have a "vision" of final design, and usually I solve problems as they arise.
    What have been stated by community as problems I see as challenges, so I'll walk through them myself and see if I'll have a solution.
    If there were something really critical (in my opinion), I'd changed design to address this issues.

Currently I'm not going to use SimTools, but I'm going to make my hardware compatible with them later.

I either did not like the tone of some members, that groundlessly (in my opinion) call my design poor.
    So my responses just reflect those feelings)

As you could see in the first post in this thread,
    "Hope I'll be able to reproduce device to make it available for everyone else, who dreams of affordable yet professional home motion sim, like me)"

So yes, if it really turns to be a nice product, I'll try to start producing it.

But for now, I'm developing a single prototype, and I'm doing it entirely myself, isn't that considered to be what DIY means?)
    I worked several years as hardware, software and mechanical engineer, so I'm just using my skills to make a nice product.
    Btw my budget is 2000$, which I have been saving several months. And there is a war in my country, my currency has dropped 3 times, and currently I have no job, so have time to make this project.
    I planned to start it couple years ago, but just didn't have opportunity to do it.
    So do you really think this is a commercial approach?:think

Let's be more specific. What kind of your message or question I didn't answer?
    Why do you think you can criticize my hypothetical support for hypothetical product without product and support yet?)
    That just seems like you have a commercial interest and consider me a competitor. In this case it's ok, just a little weird IMHO :grin

Glad to inspire)

In my opinion, these things are special:
    -Look
    -Custom torque servo motor with custom electronics - that means no brush wear, quietness, high accelerations and so "sensitivity".

Noorbeast has a pretty design and nice looking CNC-d metal parts, but what really special or new things of what you are talking about did you see in it?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Leo Burton

Leo Burton Active Member

Balance:
    2,625Coins
    Ratings:
    +129 / 1 / -2
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, Arduino
    @Dan Krutko
    I don't know much about sims but I like the design! It would look great in my living room! ;)

I like the way you incorporated HOTAS support. I'm trying to figure out how to do the same on my rig.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Den Krutko

Den Krutko Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    364Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor
    So that's how the final FEEL-VR device would look.

Or at least first prototype.

Maximal theoretical pitch and roll angles are about +/- 24 degrees if driven separately.

Simultaneously max pitch and roll are about +/- 12 degrees.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
  14. madgino

madgino New Member

Balance:
    1,122Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    @Den Krutko - My wife is Ukrainian - What city are you from?
  15. AceOfSpies

AceOfSpies Living the Dream!

Balance:
    19,614Coins
    Ratings:
    +244 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    3DOF, DC motor, JRK, Motion platform
    Hi @Den Krutko, I like the look of your design. I wish you every success with your build, and I, personally, don't care if you go on to sell it commercially. I think the important thing is that you are prepared to share what you do with the forum. You share your ideas and people will comment/ criticise them, hopefully in a positive way! If you encounter problems, the members of the forum will help if they can. This is a forum of many individuals from all over the planet, but no one person speaks for all! So good luck with your project, and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Mike :thumbs
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. bsft

bsft

Balance:
    Coins
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Den Krutko

Den Krutko Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    364Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor
    I want to make people aware of what I'm doing.
    Is this a problem for you?
    ------
    Everyone, please help me understand a phrase from my conversation in PM, cause author for some reason refused to do it and ignores me) English is not my native, so I need help in understanding the meaning..
    It sounds this : "Take it up with Atomic"
    Thank you in advance.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. CraCk

CraCk Member Gold Contributor

Balance:
    691Coins
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF
    Your design is similar to Atomic A2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  19. Den Krutko

Den Krutko Member

Engineer
    Balance:
    364Coins
    Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -0
    My Motion Simulator:
    2DOF, AC motor
    Agree, but I'm building everything from ground-up focusing on look, usability and engineering efficiency. And not on copying someone's designs.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BlazinH

BlazinH Well-Known Member

Balance:
    16,568Coins
    Ratings:
    +1,831 / 32 / -1
    Just for information, there are two types of patents (in the United States anyway), a utility patent, and a design patent.

A design patent simply patents a particular design. For example, dinner plate’s design may get a design patent in order to keep someone else from selling a plate that looks exactly like the one you sell. But usually, with only minor changes to a patented design, it no longer infringes on its design patent.

A utility patent, on the other hand, has nothing to do with how something looks or appears, but how it functions or how it’s made. For example, if you have found a unique way of making a glass dinner plate that can’t be broken, you can get a utility patent to protect the process you used to make the plate.

So, if you only have a utility patent in the above examples, you are protected from someone else making a plate using your process, but you can’t keep them from making a plate that looks just like yours using a different process. If you only have a design patent, someone can’t make a plate that looks just like yours, but they can use your process of making different looking plates if they know out how to do it. That's why sometime the best protection is no patent at all but keeping processes a trade secret, e.g. Coke-a-Cola or Kentucky Fried Chicken. Also patents expire in around 20 years but a trade secret lasts as long as you can keep it secret.

The Atomic’s manufacture claims design patents but design patents are very easy to overcome by making only slight changes to their designs. However, they also claim to hold a utility patent on their process of making their chair more power efficient.
    I imagine Atomic said this project, “at this stage it’s not of particular concern” since a design patent is not worth much with it being so easy to work around and since they don’t believe that this project will infringe on their patented processes for load-compensation or possible other patents they hold.
    • Informative Informative x 4